• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1" groups at 25 yards, 10" at 50 yards?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see something from my personal window (not the best window of the world), but your patches seem cut by the rifling, may be at the muzzle may be inside the tube, or is an impression given by the photo...
Do you cut the patches with a knife at the muzzle ?

CapnRon, that's good advise, however, in my experience the patch thickness needs to be thick enough so that a wooden rod will flex a little to push the ball down. For me, at least this is how I shoot them into a one hole group and I believe that the old timers had it figured out so long ago and that makes me feel like I'm livin' history!

And more excellent tips. I've attached a picture of three patches I was able to recover. They are fairly ragged. Been using these Daisy shaped patches from October Country.

RE: compression of powder

I've been shoving the ball down hard and bouncing the ramrod a few times every load based on an article from this gentleman, who has quite a few interesting posts:
ctmuzzleloaders.com

RE: sharp lands and crown on CVA

I definitely think the muzzle end of the bore has some sharp edges. Very hard to keep it from shaving little flakes off my wooden ramrod while loading.

RE: sticking with Pyramyd or Arizona

Airguns are definitely easier to clean and air is cheap (though inflation might change that.;)) But I think I was destined to shoot a real muzzle loader. I even built a homemade airgun that shoots .59 cal steel bearings and loads from the muzzle.
Them patches are burnt bad and gas cut in places. You need a better lube or a firewall. I have loaded a bare patch before the patched ball. Lubed ofcourse.
Polish the sharp crown away.
Consider a smaller ball and patch combo.

@Gsyme,
The Daisy cut patches seem to be a more expensive way to wrap cotton around a ball. The Daisy cut patches are better in a theoretical sense than when put to practice. I haven't heard that these perform any better than square patches, round patches, or patches cut at the muzzle. The fraying of the edges is expected and will be seen on virtually all patches. What you don't want to see are holes rubbed by the lands or circumferential cuts cut at the crown.

With regards to patch compression, I am not of the whang the rod at the breech. I do believe that having a jag contoured to the spherical face of the ball will smooth the sprue of a cast ball and not overly harm the ball if "whanged". This can be chewed on and debated over many pages and no significant conclusion will be reached. Consistent pressure at loading to the same depth in the barrel is best. Be sure to feel the ball compress the powder.

Gren, Brit, Erwan et al. - the crown does feel pretty sharp. I will try smoothing it. And I believe you about the daisy patches. I've gone out once more since my last post. A really quick session. Tried to be consistent with compression but no whanging. rammed a lubed patch over the powder then the prb as suggested, also, to reduce blow by. Tried to apply hold and rest techniques advised etc.

First shot at 25 yds - center of the bull. Luck I am sure- though it's funny how often my first shot is lucky. Next two to the left a bit, a 2" group of 3 shots. Then I tried one 50 yard shot. Hit the gallon jug of water about 3 inches right of POA. Not good, but much better than my previous outing. Didn't have time to try a group at that distance but it was good to leave feeling hopeful.

Been doing some more reading on here, too, both for entertainment and illumination. I'm starting to think this Kentucky, though old, may not have been shot much. (It was in storage for a couple of decades, I believe, before my neighbor - who shoots other things I won't talk about and kept this as a curiosity, gave it to me upon hearing of my interest in BP.)

I'm liking the advice of some old timers here to just shoot the hell out of it. I think I need the polishing as much as the gun. Also got myself some calipers (analog dial type because I am contrary) and going to get more scientific with my patches.

Boy this is fun...

... this is how I shoot them into a one hole group and I believe that the old timers had it figured out so long ago and that makes me feel like I'm livin' history!
I may have to buy you all a beer the day I shoot a one hole group.

Back