• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1 1/4 breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can’t seem to find a 1 1/4” breech plug for a barrel I have. 5/8-18 thread. Any ideas where to find one? Yes that’s correct by the way that’s no typo. Thanks!

Can’t seem to find a 1 1/4” breech plug for a barrel I have. 5/8-18 thread. Any ideas where to find one? Yes that’s correct by the way that’s no typo. Thanks!
You will likely need to make a new breech plug, or recut the threads in the barrel. With the right breech plug thread there be enough steel left so you don’t have to shorten the barrel.

You will likely need to make a new breech plug, or recut the threads in the barrel. With the right breech plug thread there be enough steel left so you don’t have to shorten the barrel.
I would if I had the ability but anything like that I’d have to have a smith do for me which is my last resort

Is welding an option? Try a bolt, thread a piece of angle iron. Screw the bolt (allthread) in, tap the angle iron and thread it on from the outside. Weld the bolt threads to the angle then cut/grind/file to shape.

I would if I had the ability but anything like that I’d have to have a smith do for me which is my last resort
You may want to contact a few barrel makers and ask the question. Maybe start with Hoyt and Rice. TOW will breech a barrel when they sell it, maybe inquire if they would provide a plug and install it in your barrel. There are others. Do you know the ‘last resort’ cost? You have to know your limitations.

And maybe you will get lucky. Before I retired and had access to an entire tool room I would have done if for you. Might be others out there that could help.

You may want to contact a few barrel makers and ask the question. Maybe start with Hoyt and Rice. TOW will breech a barrel when they sell it, maybe inquire if they would provide a plug and install it in your barrel. There are others. Do you know the ‘last resort’ cost? You have to know your limitations.

And maybe you will get lucky. Before I retired and had access to an entire tool room I would have done if for you. Might be others out there that could help.
I appreciate it. I’ll try TOTW and if I don’t get anything from them I’ll run down the list

DIDO!!! The best way is to find a 1.25 plug and re-tap the breech to size. Not as difficult as it sounds. Semper Fi

Latest posts

Back