• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lamb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkovire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
any one got good lamb recipes? lamb chops, roast, ribs, say 2-5 lbs each, cooking for 2 :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

chops I like to rub with a grill mix (any of several different brands) and let them stand for maybe 30 mins to an hour then grill on fairly high heat. good with toasted coarse bread and a green salad.

Baked Lamb Cutlets with potatos:

450g potatoes, peeled and sliced
200g onions, sliced
Salt and pepper
4-5 Savoy cabbage leaves, blanched
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Curry Powder
750ml lamb stock
60g butter
4 lamb cutlets
2 garlic cloves
2 springs of thyme ”“ stalks removed
2 bay leaves

In a bowl coat the lamb cutlets with the paprika, cumin seeds and curry powder and a little olive oil. Then fry off the cutlets to a golden colour, with the garlic and thyme.
Fry off the onions with the garlic, bay leaves and thyme and season well.
To the same pan add half the raw sliced potatoes, and cabbage. Mix with the onion and herbs then arrange in a layer in the bottom of the pan.
Place the seared lamb cutlets on top and cover with the remaining potato and cabbage layers. Add enough stock, to just below the surface of the potato, adding the butter to the top. Bring to a boil on the stove and cook in the oven for approximately 1 ½ hours.
Remove from the oven and serve.

Lamb Sotasties & North African Cous Cous

This traditional African dish uses 6 cm cubes of lamb which is thrown into the marinade for 2-3 three days before being threaded into skewers and grilled.

Serves 6-8 people

3 kilo of lamb, cut in 6 cm cubes

Marinade

1/2 kilo Smooth Apricot Jam

200ml Red Wine Vinegar

200ml Vegetable Oil

30 gm Brown Sugar

1 tsp Worcester Sauce

1/2 kilo Sliced Onions

4 Garlic Cloves

4 Bay Leaves

12 Crushed Peppercorns

1 tsp Madras Curry Powder

3 cm Freshly Crushed Ginger

4 tbsp Tomato Sauce

Mix all the ingredients together. Marinate the lamb for 2-3 days in this, then grill for 15-20 minutes

TIP: If you are using wooden skewers, soak these overnight in water. This way the skewers will not catch fire and it will be easier getting the meat off.

Cous Cous Salad
1/2 kilo Cous Cous

Same quantity by volume of preferred stock

1 Red pepper-diced

1 Yellow pepper-diced

1 Green pepper-diced

1 Courgette-diced

½ tspn Cumin seed

2 Tspn Tumeric powder

1 Lemon juiced

1 Cucumber-Diced

1 Beef tomato-diced

1 Bunch Spring onions-diced

Fresh soft herbs ie. mint etc

1.Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add the spices allowing then to release their aromas.
2.Add the vegetables and combine, season.
3.Add the stock and bring to the boil. Throw in the cous cous and stir until all the liquid has been absorbed.
4.Place a lid on the top and allow the grains to swell and absorb flavours for about 1 minute.
5.Fork the grains over to separate them replacing the lid each time to allow them to totally swell up.
6.When fully swollen remove the lid and allow to totally cool before adding the cucumber, tomato and spring onion and mint etc,
7.Serve with a thick yogurt dressing made of diced red onion, fresh coriander and sweetened with a pinch of sugar.

I've roasted the shoulder/arm roast of lamb on my grill too. indirect heat, a gas grill with ceramic briquettes, light one side only and place the roast on other side. toss wood chips onto the lit side occasionally to run the heat up to around 350-450d. should roast about 1&1/2 hrs until juice runs very clear and meat draws back from bone ends, marrow runs a bit.
and oh yeah use your favorite rub on the meat and let it stand at least an hour. the last one I did I used an herb rub that was a gift, it came from Kali, man it is good. myself I rub the spice in and let the roast stand at room temp for 2 hours while fixing sides and salad/bread and so on or doing chores.
this is a cheap but flavorful cut of lamb but done right it may be the one you'll take to the campfire with you. The German gets kudos for his cous-cous recipe, that could be cooked on a campfire also w/out much trouble. or just boil red 'taters and green beans for a side.

Jump in the old truck and drive over to Elko,Nv. No one in this world can cook lamb like the Basko folks. The Nevada Dinner House in Elko is the best. They know lamb cook'in. :bow:

All you guys are proving my point! :rotf:

Look at all the spice's and things you have to do to lamb to try to make it go down the gullot! :shocked2:

I'm from the Beef State! Just give me a 2 inch thick T-Bone or Rib EYE medium rare, with a bit of salt and pepper......Whala! Heaven!!

Rick :blah:

You must be trying to eat mutton. Lamb is very mild flavored and needs nothing more than a little salt and prpper. Mutton however is another story entirely.

Recipe for lamb

1 leg of Lamb.
1/2 bell pepper, cut into long thin slivers
4 clove of garlic, each clove quartered
6 or 7 twigs of fresh Rosemary
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt & pepper
1 box kosher salt

Wash leg of Lamb, cover with kosher salt, let sit for 1hr, rinse off well, Take a small knife and stick wholes all over meat and stuff them with, garlic, bell pepper, and rosemary. Cover meat with a good coating of Garlic powder, & Onion powder a little rosemary. Salt & pepper to taste. Cook on grill. But not with coals under meat but around meat. Turn as needed. or in oven, About 1 to 1&1/2 hr to cook.

Back