• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Pennsylvania hunt in the late season - anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a person wanted to flintlock hunt in traditional garb, with other primitive cool dudes, my comment was that a buck might be possible in the late season. I use a flintlock in the regular season, but it can be a little nuts with the orange army outnumbering the animals.

I’vr read that the bigger bucks lose their antlers sooner than the little bucks do to the bigger bucks doing the most breeding, losing the most weight and using up their existing testosterone. Sounds like it could be true.

Late Season Muzzleloader (Flintlock Only / Traditional) is always a hard season to hunt. First it comes at the end of all the other deer seasons, so you may not have an unfilled tag by then. Between Archery, Early Muzzleloader & Gun seasons, I am usually tagged out.

Second, the late time of season, post-Christmas, the deer have hunkered down. It is a hard time to hunt, but very rewarding.

Check back when we get closer, I would be interested.

I have always wanted to do this with like minded hunters - I am interested to know if anyone in western or central Pa would want to gather for a traditional style deer hunt after Christmas this year?
I am wanting to go in period clothing and tools as much as possible or others feel comfortable doing.
Just gauging interest at this point - date and location will be decided later based on participation and generalized location of hunters and tag locations.
We have a bit of time so PM me here with your email address for easier communication and we can begin to develop a plan.
I'm interested I think I sent you a PM
I'm better with a smokepole than these computer phone things
Let me know if you got it please

Massachusetts is an excellent place to tag deer late season. Unlimited doe tags in a few zones and an abundance of deer just about everywhere.
Doesn't one need to keep a trigger lock on the gun and the flint out of the jaws until one is actually ready to aim at a specific deer in Mass?

I have always wanted to do this with like minded hunters - I am interested to know if anyone in western or central Pa would want to gather for a traditional style deer hunt after Christmas this year?
I am wanting to go in period clothing and tools as much as possible or others feel comfortable doing.
Just gauging interest at this point - date and location will be decided later based on participation and generalized location of hunters and tag locations.
We have a bit of time so PM me here with your email address for easier communication and we can begin to develop a plan.
I live in Jefferson Co. Cook Forest area. F2. My land borders the national forest. Walk right over the back of my land and we're hunting. Semper Fi.

I have a buddy in Grandby Mass . I bet I couldn’t get to Massachusetts with Missouri tags on my truck let alone have a gun with me .😳
Oddly enough it’s not any problem going into MA with a gun to hunt, just don’t forget your ammunition because you won’t be able to buy it there.

It can be a tough time of year to hunt but can be very rewarding. I hunt with some guys who are in no way traditionalists, just hunters, and they swear they get more buck in the flintlock season then they do in rifle. I've witness them killing several buck on a single drive, but not all drives are successful. All they do is dog all season, mostly state land but they move a lot of deer. I tend to be a solo hunter but drives can be fun. I'd be interested in it if I have a tag available.

I have been hunting deer in the late flintlock season when it was first introduce. I mostly hunted alone just walking, staking and tracking. So far I have killed 15 deer with my flintlocks. The most rewarding hunting I have ever done. Now I am 76 and walking is getting harder for me to do but I still go out on a stand and give it a try.

I have been hunting deer in the late flintlock season when it was first introduce. I mostly hunted alone just walking, staking and tracking. So far I have killed 15 deer with my flintlocks. The most rewarding hunting I have ever done. Now I am 76 and walking is getting harder for me to do but I still go out on a stand and give it a try.
@emery
You should certainly participate and just stay posted, think about it

Well all, I am pushing this invitation up to the top - Pennsylvania late season is just a few weeks away.

I am looking for a few hunters that can commit to hunt on Dec 29th and/or 30th. Once we have a group loosely organized I’ll pick a location as close to even driving distance as practical.

Those of you that have responded with your email address thank you, details are going to be firmed up very soon, anyone else that is interested in this primitive hunt please pm me your email so we can coordinate arrangements.

Really looking forward to making some new friends and enjoying some time in the Pa woods - flintlock season is the best!

Back