• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with 'Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
First off, this may be of no interest to anyone else but me. Second, let warn y'all that there is no dead deer at the end of the story.

Quick Background
January 2022: I get a Pedersoli Brown Bess
March 2022: I finally get out to shoot it after acquiring all the necessary tackle
April 2022: I get cancer.
May - Aug 2022: I get chemo
September2022: I pass out in line waiting for powder at Friendship
October 2022: I make it out for Early ML -- hardest thing I've ever done in my life
Novemer 2022: Bag the biggest deer in a decade, just not with the 'Bess
August 2023: Declared cancer-free

Which brings me up to this past weekend. It was KY's Early Muzzleloader Season. I was back out with the 'Bess. This time, I was feeling better than I had in years. I had 3 outings with 'Bess over 2 days. Saturday AM, I went out to my favorite treestand, about a half-mile from camp. Saturday PM, I traveled to another treestand overlooking a oak-lined ravine. Sunday AM, I was in my tower blind. Everything went nominally. All 3 trips were completely without the slightest interference with whitetail, although I did get a snort from a doe on the neighboring property as I was preparing to leave Saturday noon.

Okay, Shaman. Why all this buildup?

I want to report on the 'Bess and how it worked as a hunting implement. I want to especially take back anything I might have said last year about it being unwieldy. I was weak. I was sick. Now that I'm back up to normal, the 'Bess is just fine. Yeah, it ain't a light weapon by any means. However, I have no complaints with one exception; it is hard to keep it on my shoulder when I have it slung. I've tried barrel up and barrel down. It requires constant attention. In my hands, it compares favorably with my M1 Garand for lugging about.

Now to the care and feeding of this beast. Last year, I went out with 69 caliber balls wrapped in parchment and coated with beeswax/lard. This was meant to get as close to a paper cartridge. I was still too lame in my hands to handle a standard cartridge. I poured the powder from sealed vials. In the intervening year, the neuropathy in my hands has improved. However, I found maximum accuracy over the past year using the SkyChief loading method with a .735" ball/80 gr 3F. That's what I went with for this hunt. I loaded up Friday afternoon and discharged the gun as I was coming in Sunday. In between, I primed at the beginning of each sit and cleaned it out as I was leaving the stand. After all that, 'Bess went off smartly Sunday noon. I was impressed. I had worried the olive oil-soaked wad would queer the powder if left in all weekend.

The kit for feeding 'Bess these SkyChief loads is complicated. I took enough for 5 reloads into the field. It filled up my possibles bag to the max. What I may do next time is start with the Skychief load at the cabin and then carry paper cartridge reloads with me. Who am I fooling, really? The last time I had to reload in the field with a deer watching me was 2001. The big doe, stood at the base of the tree holding my stand and waited until I was ready to put on the cap before disappearing into the cedars.

Early ML Season is a bit of a lark for us anyway. We use it as a dry-run for the Big Show in mid November. We seldom see deer. When we do, we usually pass on them. It is still warm that meat spoilage is an issue, and the processors are not taking in deer. We go out anyway. We just like hunting, and it is good to get out and work the bugs out of our gear and enjoy the good hunting weather.

I did have a chance to test 'Bess against some turkeys. Twice this weekend, I had gobblers come around to feed close by my stands. I got 'Bess up and brought it to full cock with without annoying them. I would have thought there would be more reaction with the big in-the-white barrel and the noisy lock. Nope! I could have had roast turkey each time. I tried a similar drill on the squirrels Saturday Morning. I think that is going to be the best way of using 'Bess on squirrel. I'll just wait until they're on the ground feeding and then snipe at them from a stand.

Happy that you are doing well! When you passed out in the black powder line, was it because the line was too long? That would be funny. If it was due to you not feeling well, at least maybe they let you go to the head of the line! I enjoyed reading your comments on the Bess. Best regards.

CONGRATULATIONS 🎉

AND also, you can always employ a hack when using the Bess.

You can mount a 3/4" brass shelving brace using the tang screw, and then modify it to become a rear sight.

Brass Angle Bracket.JPG

LD

Happy that you are doing well! When you passed out in the black powder line, was it because the line was too long? That would be funny. If it was due to you not feeling well, at least maybe they let you go to the head of the line! I enjoyed reading your comments on the Bess. Best regards.

I just kind of pooped out. We got there early enough to be close to the head. The chemo had pretty well poisoned my kidneys and bone marrow, and they were slowly recovering. At the time of the visit to Friendship I was less than a month past daily trips to the IV cllinic for whole blood, platelets, or the bag du jour to keep me going. I was determined to get that powder; at the time there was none to be had online or in the stores. Besides being cancer free a month or so ago, the doc also said my kidneys and marrow are running in spec again.

Three Pounds of Powder the Hard Way

LD: I ordered shelf brackets on reading.

Shaman........I have some experience with the Bess in competition and huntng. The first squirrel I ever shot with my bess , tryed to get back into his hole about 8 Ft. up in the trunk of an oak tree. After I blasted him with a load of #5 shot , he is making for his hole , and all I had was an empty musket , and the iron ramrod in hand. A stroke of so , with the rammer , made him dinner. This adventure was back in 1970. Don't think I could tote a Bess into the woods , these days. Any m/l over 6 3/4 lbs. is a safe Queen , for me.............oldwood

First off, this may be of no interest to anyone else but me. Second, let warn y'all that there is no dead deer at the end of the story.

Quick Background
January 2022: I get a Pedersoli Brown Bess
March 2022: I finally get out to shoot it after acquiring all the necessary tackle
October 2022: I make it out for Early ML -- hardest thing I've ever done in my life
Novemer 2022: Bag the biggest deer in a decade, just not with the 'Bess

Which brings me up to this past weekend. It was KY's Early Muzzleloader Season. I was back out with the 'Bess. This time, I was feeling better than I had in years. I had 3 outings with 'Bess over 2 days. Saturday AM, I went out to my favorite treestand, about a half-mile from camp. Saturday PM, I traveled to another treestand overlooking a oak-lined ravine. Sunday AM, I was in my tower blind. Everything went nominally. All 3 trips were completely without the slightest interference with whitetail, although I did get a snort from a doe on the neighboring property as I was preparing to leave Saturday noon.

Okay, Shaman. Why all this buildup?

I want to report on the 'Bess and how it worked as a hunting implement. I want to especially take back anything I might have said last year about it being unwieldy. I was weak. I was sick. Now that I'm back up to normal, the 'Bess is just fine. Yeah, it ain't a light weapon by any means. However, I have no complaints with one exception; it is hard to keep it on my shoulder when I have it slung. I've tried barrel up and barrel down. It requires constant attention. In my hands, it compares favorably with my M1 Garand for lugging about.

Now to the care and feeding of this beast. Last year, I went out with 69 caliber balls wrapped in parchment and coated with beeswax/lard. This was meant to get as close to a paper cartridge. I was still too lame in my hands to handle a standard cartridge. I poured the powder from sealed vials. In the intervening year, the neuropathy in my hands has improved. However, I found maximum accuracy over the past year using the SkyChief loading method with a .735" ball/80 gr 3F. That's what I went with for this hunt. I loaded up Friday afternoon and discharged the gun as I was coming in Sunday. In between, I primed at the beginning of each sit and cleaned it out as I was leaving the stand. After all that, 'Bess went off smartly Sunday noon. I was impressed. I had worried the olive oil-soaked wad would queer the powder if left in all weekend.

The kit for feeding 'Bess these SkyChief loads is complicated. I took enough for 5 reloads into the field. It filled up my possibles bag to the max. What I may do next time is start with the Skychief load at the cabin and then carry paper cartridge reloads with me. Who am I fooling, really? The last time I had to reload in the field with a deer watching me was 2001. The big doe, stood at the base of the tree holding my stand and waited until I was ready to put on the cap before disappearing into the cedars.

Early ML Season is a bit of a lark for us anyway. We use it as a dry-run for the Big Show in mid November. We seldom see deer. When we do, we usually pass on them. It is still warm that meat spoilage is an issue, and the processors are not taking in deer. We go out anyway. We just like hunting, and it is good to get out and work the bugs out of our gear and enjoy the good hunting weather.

I did have a chance to test 'Bess against some turkeys. Twice this weekend, I had gobblers come around to feed close by my stands. I got 'Bess up and brought it to full cock with without annoying them. I would have thought there would be more reaction with the big in-the-white barrel and the noisy lock. Nope! I could have had roast turkey each time. I tried a similar drill on the squirrels Saturday Morning. I think that is going to be the best way of using 'Bess on squirrel. I'll just wait until they're on the ground feeding and then snipe at them from a stand.
You can load it with shot for squirrel, too

I just kind of pooped out. We got there early enough to be close to the head. The chemo had pretty well poisoned my kidneys and bone marrow, and they were slowly recovering. At the time of the visit to Friendship I was less than a month past daily trips to the IV cllinic for whole blood, platelets, or the bag du jour to keep me going. I was determined to get that powder; at the time there was none to be had online or in the stores. Besides being cancer free a month or so ago, the doc also said my kidneys and marrow are running in spec again.

Old Smokey: Yeah, I've already been out with the 'Bess for squirrel this season. I use 1 OZ of #6 over 80 grains 3F in a Skychief Load. I also had a load cooked up for turkey this season with 1.5 OZ of #6. My goal is to pull a Trifecta: Squirrel Turkey and Deer in the same year.

I just took 3 deer in my state's early muzzleloader season in October. I was using a .715 ball with 120gr FFG powder in a paper cartridge. Furthest shot was 40 yards and the ball landed where I was aiming. I would also like to Turkey with the bess and smaller game too. Maybe not fowl though I dont think the bess is well suited for that due to its weight and length.

"In the days of lace ruffles Perukes and Brocade ,Brown Bess was a partner that non could despise. An out spoken brazen faced ,flinty lipped Jade ,With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes ,From Blenheim to Ramillies Fops would confess, They where pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess. "
True enough but a bit unwieldy for a fowling piece .
Rudyard's view

I'm a fellow Cancer survivor from back in 2010, endured 3 months of Chemo and Radiation "therapy" they told me afterwards that I was only given a 50/50 chance of recovery.

It changed my life, transformed from an intense workaholic into a fully retired individual retrained to enjoy every day of my remaining life.

Do the things you love to do, nothing else matters in later life.

Latest posts

Back