• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Staying safe while hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have him look these links over. Much as I appreciate his desire to do the period thing he should make an informed decision IMO.

I'm not suggesting either way but these occurred with bow hunters not wearing any orange.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article254387444.html
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/b...tally-killed-by-fellow-elk-hunter-in-colorado
https://www.durangoherald.com/artic...tal-shooting-of-bow-hunter-in-dolores-county/
Guy was found guilty. Only sentenced to 90 days; but, as a felony, no more bang-bangs. Judge is also recommending lifetime hunting/fishing bans in the violator compact states (48 of 50).

i say.. camo is a fashion statement and its so hunters dont see hunters. [think duck boys] i always wear blaze camo. been close enough to deer to kick them. wind and movement are all that will give you away. too many idiots with a double super magnum out there. people who think you hunt with the safety off for a quick shot. YES they are out there.

Definitely have him and you wear orange if you hope to hunt together for years to come, (don't take chances) as said there are some crazy folks in the woods now of days. I am as traditional as the next rock crasher when it comes to hunting, with that I had a large orange wool waist coat made that fits over my regular clothing and an orange knitted cap on my head the other thing I do is tie an orange 3 in. band around a tree where I am sitting. One can never be too safe. Do I like it NO but I want to hunt a bit longer and not be shot. Enjoy your time with the young one and hope you have many more times together.

I knew a guy who knew a guy who said he knew a guy who knew a guy who took a sound shot at a deer.

How many of these Sound Shot stories are Urban Legends?

Reminds me of Verbal Kint describing the myth of Keyser Soze.
It was in the late 1960s that I was old enough to go to deer camp in PA with the old man. A major event that I anticipated. Remember the ‘excitement’ when someone in a camp a few miles away got shot. Another hunter in his party was tracking a deer he had shot, heard something like a branch break and fired into the brush. The other hunter, who made the noise, took the shot square in the chest. Some in our camp helped get the body out of the woods, but not me, as I was confined to camp, so I guess my observations being third party it is urban legend. Was told the guy was wearing a Woolrich PA tuxedo. It was ruled an accident. The lessons for the new hunters in camp was not to move or make noise when someone is tracking a deer nearby. The feeling of a few in camp was that it was the guy that got shot own fault. Imagine @64Springer would agree.

Years later while hunting in NY on private property, a buddy and I had our backs against some trees and facing up a hill that had deer trails on it. We were inside a wood line, maybe 100 yards from the road. At the time, you could only hunt with a shotgun. No rifles allowed. As some deer came over the ridge in front of us, the woods came alive with shotgun slugs whistling over our heads and ticking through the tree’s branches above us. The deer were at least a 100 yards up the hill from us. As luck would have it, a game warden came along. The ‘road hunters’ were ticketed for shooting from the road. Not for shooting onto private property (posted signs every 100 feet) or over our heads, though we were behind the trees and our blaze orange maybe wasn’t visible until we moved. No one got shot, so again @64Springer would be right calling this nothing, not even enough to reach urban legend status.

Below is link to an incident where a muzzleloader hunter (very possibly an in-line hunter, but a muzzleloader hunter none the less) had been calling in elk and got several responses from multiple bulls. He was directed by someone he was hunting with into a treed area to set up for a shot. The muzzleloader hunter reported hearing a bull elk bugle, scrape, and continue to approach him. When he saw white in the pines, he took a shot at what he thought was an elk. Turned out to be a bow hunter that didn’t make it home. But at least no one wore blaze orange, spoiling the moment for those like @64Springer and similar minded. The bow hunter shouldn’t have flashed white (supposedly), one would guess.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/b...tally-killed-by-fellow-elk-hunter-in-colorado

In Virginia a Blaze Orange item of clothing is required during the muzzleloader season. I wear a Blaze Orange hat. The law states that you don't have to wear it if hunting from a "stationary position or in a blind." So, you wear it walking in or tracking, but can remove it once in a stand or blind. I wear it anyway regardless. Like others have posted, deer don't see Blaze Orange like we do. Over the years I have learned it is all about scouting, location, scent control, patience, and movement.

With each season I see more and more people in the woods during the muzzleloader season. Almost all are hunting with modern unmentionables. I also see archery and crossbow hunters, who are not required to wear Blaze Orange, so you have to be mindful of that. I even saw a woman walking down a trail wearing a white shirt (You can't make this stuff up) as I was making my way out. She told me she was hiking. I told her it was deer season and it is not a very good idea walking around the woods wearing white. She thanked me for my concern and went on her way. It is a different time for us, for sure.

Back in the ‘60’s my dad ran a hunt club. One afternoon a guy came in with a nice 10 point. He began telling everyone about how he saw some bushes moving and how lucky he was when he shot but never saw the deer until after the shot. My dad told him to leave and never come back. A couple members gave him a good ass whooping before he left.

It was in the late 1960s that I was old enough to go to deer camp in PA with the old man. A major event that I anticipated. Remember the ‘excitement’ when someone in a camp a few miles away got shot. Another hunter in his party was tracking a deer he had shot, heard something like a branch break and fired into the brush. The other hunter, who made the noise, took the shot square in the chest. Some in our camp helped get the body out of the woods, but not me, as I was confined to camp, so I guess my observations being third party it is urban legend. Was told the guy was wearing a Woolrich PA tuxedo. It was ruled an accident. The lessons for the new hunters in camp was not to move or make noise when someone is tracking a deer nearby. The feeling of a few in camp was that it was the guy that got shot own fault. Imagine @64Springer would agree.

Years later while hunting in NY on private property, a buddy and I had our backs against some trees and facing up a hill that had deer trails on it. We were inside a wood line, maybe 100 yards from the road. At the time, you could only hunt with a shotgun. No rifles allowed. As some deer came over the ridge in front of us, the woods came alive with shotgun slugs whistling over our heads and ticking through the tree’s branches above us. The deer were at least a 100 yards up the hill from us. As luck would have it, a game warden came along. The ‘road hunters’ were ticketed for shooting from the road. Not for shooting onto private property (posted signs every 100 feet) or over our heads, though we were behind the trees and our blaze orange maybe wasn’t visible until we moved. No one got shot, so again @64Springer would be right calling this nothing, not even enough to reach urban legend status.

Below is link to an incident where a muzzleloader hunter (very possibly an in-line hunter, but a muzzleloader hunter none the less) had been calling in elk and got several responses from multiple bulls. He was directed by someone he was hunting with into a treed area to set up for a shot. The muzzleloader hunter reported hearing a bull elk bugle, scrape, and continue to approach him. When he saw white in the pines, he took a shot at what he thought was an elk. Turned out to be a bow hunter that didn’t make it home. But at least no one wore blaze orange, spoiling the moment for those like @64Springer and similar minded. The bow hunter shouldn’t have flashed white (supposedly), one would guess.

I read your entire post. And I agree. Safety is important.

I'm heading to Walmart now. To buy some blaze orange duct tape. To encase my entire vehicle in.

Have you read the annual automobile death statistics that are available online. We're lucky to be alive.

Everything we do, day in and day out, is infinitely more dangerous than going into the woods without looking like a Home Depot team member.

But y'all go right ahead with your blaze orange, you're better than the camo mouth breathers, righteousness. And save some of your hunting terror stories for next season. Don't want to run out of them.

I read your entire post. And I agree. Safety is important.

I'm heading to Walmart now. To buy some blaze orange duct tape. To encase my entire vehicle in.

Have you read the annual automobile death statistics that are available online. We're lucky to be alive.

Everything we do, day in and day out, is infinitely more dangerous than going into the woods without looking like a Home Depot team member.

But y'all go right ahead with your blaze orange, you're better than the camo mouth breathers, righteousness. And save some of your hunting terror stories for next season. Don't want to run out of them.
Sate law here. If you would like to loose all of your equipment then leave the orange at home. I chose to quit deer hunting because of the YAHOO's out there. Blaze orange isn't going to save you when those guys are in the field.

This can all be solved. Take all mistaken for game shootings and treat them as murder / attempted murder. I definitely would check before I shot , facing 40 years to life in prison. Or the death penalty…….

Personally I have never felt unsafe while hunting. I always wear camo orange hat and jacket except in archery season. This will be our first flintlock season and we absolutely will wear orange as well. I’m just having a difficult time when it comes to my grandsons safety. I’ve always been a bit of a worrier when it comes to others but never feel like I’m in any danger.

I have run into so many morons while hunting I bring a second orange vest with e. When I drag a deer from the woods I put the second orange vest on the deer. Too many stories about dumb asses shooting at movement while hunting.

I admire that ingenious idea. I'm gonna steal it but with a variation. I'm gonna put the vest on the deer, walk it to the car and shoot it.

Personally I have never felt unsafe while hunting. I always wear camo orange hat and jacket except in archery season. This will be our first flintlock season and we absolutely will wear orange as well. I’m just having a difficult time when it comes to my grandsons safety. I’ve always been a bit of a worrier when it comes to others but never feel like I’m in any danger.
Likewise.

Have him look these links over. Much as I appreciate his desire to do the period thing he should make an informed decision IMO.

I'm not suggesting either way but these occurred with bow hunters not wearing any orange.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article254387444.html
https://www.durangoherald.com/artic...tal-shooting-of-bow-hunter-in-dolores-county/

Agree. Have him read these links. Then explain to him that it’s not worth dying over!

See my #43 above about the article you posted. Guy was found guilty of a felony in the killing.

Latest posts

Back