• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Staying safe while hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyC

Shooting my .45 better every time
Reaction score
My grandson would like to wear some traditional clothing while hunting with his flintlock. We hunt in PA and I am not comfortable letting him do to safety issues. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to wear while still being safe. I was thinking maybe a red frock or possibly a wool rich patterned coat. I could insist on adding an orange vest or hat but was hoping someone here has figured it out already.

Woolrich red/black coat sounds fine and plenty bright enough that most idiots would not mistake your grandson for a deer. Though nothing will save you from a mouth breather with an itchy trigger finger.

As for blaze orange, save that for safety cones. .02

But it reads as if you've already settled on blaze orange.

PA DNR regulations will mandate what's required. Do that. And no more.

Last edited:
Consult with Brokennock on this forum. Seems a while back that he had some very clever, period kinda correct ways of staying safe. He posted photos, and he looked great!!

Have him look these links over. Much as I appreciate his desire to do the period thing he should make an informed decision IMO.

I'm not suggesting either way but these occurred with bow hunters not wearing any orange.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article254387444.html
https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/b...tally-killed-by-fellow-elk-hunter-in-colorado
https://www.durangoherald.com/artic...tal-shooting-of-bow-hunter-in-dolores-county/
Bow hunters are required in Pa. during the overlap of early muzzleloader/senior rifle for doe/ archery during the October hunt to wear at least 250 square inches of flourescent orange head/chest and back combined. I would not wear any white, brown during these seasons for obvious reasons. Period!

PA late season does not require orange, but I usually wear an orange cap. Areas around me have an extended anterless firearms season at the same time, I rarely see another hunter but feel a little bit of orange helps others see me (farmer when I hunt private and dog walkers on public land nearer my home).

Yep, he’s not going without me and no way I’m letting him wear any buckskin, tan, brown or white. I’ve seen a few hunting shirts in red, green, blue and even purple so that might work but definitely wearing an orange hat and sitting in a ground blind.
I’ll search Broken Nocks posts as well.

Last edited:
I’ve seen a few hunting shirts in red, green, blue and even purple do that might work but definitely wearing an orange hat and sitting in a ground blind.
I think most any color and pattern that breaks up your outline but is visible to the human eye would be better than natural colors. I read somewhere that blue is as color that deer do notice. There's very little in nature that's blue, so shades of blue stand out in the environment to them.

Woolrich Woodcutter: Great color. Great retro style. And no one will mistake it for a deer.

Get a similar red/black hat and you're all set for a ground blind.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bow hunters are required in Pa. during the overlap of early muzzleloader/senior rifle for doe/ archery during the October hunt to wear at least 250 square inches of flourescent orange head/chest and back combined. I would not wear any white, brown during these seasons for obvious reasons. Period!

My intent Wasn't a bow hunting vs ml hunting point but rather the possible consequences of not being highly visible during a ml season. Apparently their is no orange requirement during the OP's planned hunt or this question would not have come up.

Our archery and ml seasons overlap. I often bow hunt during ml season and I don't bother with orange. I rarely wear any camo (unless it's on super sale). Just muted colors.

We have an early any muzzleloader season for antlerless deer only and will be abiding by all fluorescent orange requirements. The late ML season is flintlock and open sights only in one of our areas so no orange required. The area I live in has an extended antlerless season and shotguns and inlines are legal so we will be wearing orange from head to toe if we hunt that area. I suppose I can have him wear an orange hat and vest over his frock and take them off if/when we take photos of his first deer.

He’s a very good boy and deserves all he gets. He is very appreciative as well. We are going to camp in the woods, build our fire with flint and steel, pour our own lead balls and chase deer for a few days this winter. It should be quite the adventure. Might set a few traps as well if the conditions are right. There are beaver on the property and always the ever present coons, skunks, opossums and canines.

Woolrich Woodcutter: Great color. Great retro style. And no one will mistake it for a deer.

Get a similar red/black hat and you're all set for a ground blind.
Indeed. That type of clothing worked for years prior to all the orange hunter they forced upon us. I still have a shirt very much like that.

He’s a very good boy and deserves all he gets. He is very appreciative as well. We are going to camp in the woods, build our fire with flint and steel, pour our own lead balls and chase deer for a few days this winter. It should be quite the adventure. Might set a few traps as well if the conditions are right. There are beaver on the property and always the ever present coons, skunks, opossums and canines.
You are going to be doing something very noble there, Billy. That boy will remember that for all his life. Good on you! I hope everything works out great.

My hunting buddy , and I , hunted the first Pa. flintlock season back in the early 1970's. Both of us were into primitive dress , muzzleloaders , and techniques. We had 60 k + acres , of Pa. State Game lands to hunt in Central Pa. where back in the 70's , you could hunt for days w/o seeing a track of another hunter , and wore anything you wanted. Jump ahead to modern times , still wear what you want , but with a florescent orange vest over it. Head gear......Put a strip of orange on it. Times have changed , and safety is paramount. Both my hunting buddy and I , were hunter safety instructors , and hunted when there was a guy by every tree , and when the woods was empty of all but us. These days , it's normal to encounter hunters , that are in the woods only a day or two a year , and might be all hyped up on questionable hunting videos , and perhaps , mind altering drugs. You owe safety to your fellow hunters , and yourself. ...............oldwood

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back