• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spit patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned before, I use "spit" when competition shoot'n, and a bear-oil/bee's-wax mix for lube when I hunt!!

Have you ever got confused and stuck a bear-oil/bee's-wax mixture lubed patch in your mouth to apply spit to it? :D

Stumblin Buffler Sez:
"Always be careful an' sniff stuff afore you go and stick it in yer mouth, 'specially at a rondeevoo!!!!"

ugh....I was shooting a woodswalk and ran out of patching material and asked a friend to loan me some. Well, he shot the same thickness patch, but I didn't know that he prelubed with beargrease...I usually just stick to Buffler Spit while on woodswalks, so I did what comes natural...

In July, bear grease that has had time to sit in a dark leather shooting bag for a while tastes pretty awful...we have dubbed the flavor "Monkey Butt".

Not that I am an expert in such things, but it's a good title for the flavor and brings up the right images...

As I mentioned before, I use "spit" when competition shoot'n, and a bear-oil/bee's-wax mix for lube when I hunt!!

Have you ever got confused and stuck a bear-oil/bee's-wax mixture lubed patch in your mouth to apply spit to it? :D

In July, bear grease that has had time to sit in a dark leather shooting bag for a while tastes pretty awful...we have dubbed the flavor "Monkey Butt".

I can't resist, but you've done this to yourself. How do you know what "monkey butt" taste like? :hmm:

Also, lung oyster's work pretty good when you have a chest cold or congestion.

Lung Oysters cling to the patch better than garden variety saliva.

:thumbsup:

Stumblin Buffler Sez:
"Always be careful an' sniff stuff afore you go and stick it in yer mouth, 'specially at a rondeevoo!!!!"

ugh....I was shooting a woodswalk and ran out of patching material and asked a friend to loan me some. Well, he shot the same thickness patch, but I didn't know that he prelubed with beargrease...I usually just stick to Buffler Spit while on woodswalks, so I did what comes natural...

Not that I am an expert in such things, but it's a good title for the flavor and brings up the right images...

ROFLMAO :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Uh, Er...I tried using spit...I dunno..it was not at all easy getting the ball down the barrel. I next tried borebutter..that worked a lot easier, still undecided if I will stay with that as I have heard negative comments on it. I know it sounds nuts, but maybe my spit is more on the dry side?? I mean...oh hell...how does one say it....not er...slimey enough? Any ideas if I am doing something wrong, not that I can change by biological makeup or anything....?

oil works too, I've used veggie oil once when I was low on spit, and it worked fine.

I bet a can of WD40 would work great, spray it on the patch (just don't lick it :: )(no I have never tasted WD 40, or bear grease; I have tasted Black Powder numerous times though :: :: ).

I bet a can of WD40 would work great, spray it on the patch (just don't lick it :: )(no I have never tasted WD 40, or bear grease; I have tasted Black Powder numerous times though :: :: ).

Wouldn't WD40 kill powder it comes in contact with?

Uh, Er...I tried using spit...I dunno..it was not at all easy getting the ball down the barrel. I next tried borebutter..that worked a lot easier, still undecided if I will stay with that as I have heard negative comments on it. I know it sounds nuts, but maybe my spit is more on the dry side?? I mean...oh hell...how does one say it....not er...slimey enough? Any ideas if I am doing something wrong, not that I can change by biological makeup or anything....?

It don't have a lot of viscosity, so you gotta use more of it. :winking:

Wal, Ah knows spit are wondorous fer cleenin al kinds O stuf, leest thats what Ah was told.

Iffen ye thinks back, ye wil remembur that yer mom thout so two!

Don' ye remembur? Whan yer mom uster say "you've got something on your forehead!" an than she wood stik her fingar in har mouth ta get som spit an than she wood pruceed ta rub all O tha skin offen your forehead??? Dam Ah allways hated that!

Ah niver figgered out iffen it got tha "somethin" off my head, but that spitty fingar sur kud rub tha skin off!!!

Kan't blame her tho. Ah thin it are jus one O tham nattural insteenks women hav. Ah don't thin eithar O ma too boys got past tha age O one affore ma wife looked at um an stuk har fingar inter har mouth whilst sayin around it "you've got something on your forehead."
:: :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Wouldn't WD40 kill powder it comes in contact with?

I don't know, perhaps if there is enough on there I'll have to experiment :winking: .

The next time out I intend to try some teflon thread tape and some cotton patches soaked in a teflon bearing lubricant.

Otherwise, I stick a strip in my mouth and soak the end.

Wal, Ah knows spit are wondorous fer cleenin al kinds O stuf, leest thats what Ah was told.

Iffen ye thinks back, ye wil remembur that yer mom thout so two!

Don' ye remembur? Whan yer mom uster say "you've got something on your forehead!" an than she wood stik her fingar in har mouth ta get som spit an than she wood pruceed ta rub all O tha skin offen your forehead??? Dam Ah allways hated that!

Ah niver figgered out iffen it got tha "somethin" off my head, but that spitty fingar sur kud rub tha skin off!!!

Kan't blame her tho. Ah thin it are jus one O tham nattural insteenks women hav. Ah don't thin eithar O ma too boys got past tha age O one affore ma wife looked at um an stuk har fingar inter har mouth whilst sayin around it "you've got something on your forehead."
:: :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

My mom did the same thing, dang! What was really bad was when I was playing over at Jimmy's house (Ya remember Jimmy don't ya? Little Jimmy Lipshizts?), wellllll, I got some of that stuff on my forehead don't ya know, and guess what? Little Jimmy's mom gave me a spit wash!!!! :no: :haha: :haha: ::

Have you ever got confused and stuck a bear-oil/bee's-wax mixture lubed patch in your mouth to apply spit to it?
It's not just for breakfast anymore! :crackup: Just keep it simple, Moosemilk and cornflakes, a little sugar Bill

Napalm, no thanks, Had two years o fun with that, and that Orange stuff. Semper Fi there Sniper, and even though I'm an ex Air Force puke loadmaster for Air America, I still celebrate the Marine corp. Birthday the day before Armistice Day. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Bill

Latest posts

Back