• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A rifle that needs swabbed after every shot on a woodswalk??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What to do with all the patches??

So my new .45 rifle needs swabbed after every shot to remove a nasty crud ring or seating pressure varies and fliers occur. Swab after every shot and it is accurate. Powder does not matter. Shuetzen fffg, Goex fffg, or Pyrodex P. Powder amount does not matter. 30grs to 80grs. Lube does not matter. Spit, TOTW mink tallow, Wonderlube, 1970's formula FFG lube, Crisco, etc. A crud ring developes after every shot making seating the next patched ball very hard. I get a max of 3 shots then wild fliers develope. If I use a spit patch cut at muzzle and if I swab with spit after every shot, no fliers. Great accuracy, both off a rest and offhand. I've found that 1 spit soaked patch then 1 dry patch run up and down and flipped and run up and down again work well. This is duplicatable every time vs shooting more than 3 times with no swabbing with any powder, any lube.

This is strictly a target rifle to be used at the longrifle club I belong to, and to attend woodwalks at other clubs. I shoot this rifle VERY well offhand and will be competitive next year compared to what I'm shooting now. My current woodswalk rifle is gaining weight and getting bit heavy to hold steady after 15 or so shots. Soooooo......what to do with 40 cleaning patches, give or take???? 18 to 25 targets, let's round to 20, that's 40 dirty patches to do something with. If it was a matter of cleaning with 3-4 patches halfway in the round, I'd say throw 'em on the ground. Everyone else does for that matter. But not everyone swabs EVERY shot. They will rot in. But I'm not throwing on average 40 patches on the ground! This is not ecologically driven. Cotton patches will rot away. This is a litter problem. I've never been to a woodswalk that has a trash can at every target. What would you do? I'm sure there is an easy solution.
Perhaps lapping the barrel will help

I'd be willing to bet your cleaning patch and jag combination is too tight. Instead of pulling fouling out of the barrel it just crams the fouling into the breech. Use a smaller cleaning jag and your problem will likely be solved.
If this works you will owe me a bottle of Mountain Dew Code Red!

As far as what to
do with the patches, use the in your next shot and send them down range a little.
That's what I do when using a rifle I have that needs wiping. I use just one patch, swab down, remove it, drop the powder, flip the patch over seat ball and ram it home. I never have had to use several patches and dry the bore.

So my new .45 rifle needs swabbed after every shot to remove a nasty crud ring or seating pressure varies and fliers occur. Swab after every shot and it is accurate. Powder does not matter. Shuetzen fffg, Goex fffg, or Pyrodex P. Powder amount does not matter. 30grs to 80grs. Lube does not matter. Spit, TOTW mink tallow, Wonderlube, 1970's formula FFG lube, Crisco, etc. A crud ring developes after every shot making seating the next patched ball very hard. I get a max of 3 shots then wild fliers develope. If I use a spit patch cut at muzzle and if I swab with spit after every shot, no fliers. Great accuracy, both off a rest and offhand. I've found that 1 spit soaked patch then 1 dry patch run up and down and flipped and run up and down again work well. This is duplicatable every time vs shooting more than 3 times with no swabbing with any powder, any lube.

This is strictly a target rifle to be used at the longrifle club I belong to, and to attend woodwalks at other clubs. I shoot this rifle VERY well offhand and will be competitive next year compared to what I'm shooting now. My current woodswalk rifle is gaining weight and getting bit heavy to hold steady after 15 or so shots. Soooooo......what to do with 40 cleaning patches, give or take???? 18 to 25 targets, let's round to 20, that's 40 dirty patches to do something with. If it was a matter of cleaning with 3-4 patches halfway in the round, I'd say throw 'em on the ground. Everyone else does for that matter. But not everyone swabs EVERY shot. They will rot in. But I'm not throwing on average 40 patches on the ground! This is not ecologically driven. Cotton patches will rot away. This is a litter problem. I've never been to a woodswalk that has a trash can at every target. What would you do? I'm sure there is an easy solution.
I hunt squirrels a lot with my Crockett Squirrel Rifle. I have found that for best accuracy, as well as for ease of loading, I run a few small damp patches (with Windex on them) down the bore after each shot, or every other shot, then follow up with a couple of clean patches. I carry the moist patches and dry patches in separate smaller zip-lock plastic baggies in my possibles bag. Even in that somewhat smaller possibles bag there's room for an extra zip-lock baggie to put used patches in if I so desire.

If that doesn't work for you, and if you don't have pockets to put used patches in, then if you wear a hat, put them in a zip-lock baggie under your hat. :)

This is my first year shooting MLs. I have a .45 Kibler SMR. When I first started shooting I had the same issue. After the first shot I could feel a distinct crud ring when loading the second shot and had to swab after every other shot. I switched from preluded patches to using a lubed I made using beeswax and olive oil and now I have no issues. I have shot up to 15 times (my longest range session) and never swabbed. I don’t feel the crud ring when loading either. I don’t know if it is the lube, the barrel breaking in or both.

@BillyC

15 shots? Man, I’d feel cheated if there wasn’t at least 25 shots to take during our club shoots. Most of them are over an hour drive (different locations each time) so I like to get my money’s worth.

I only need to swab after about 10 shots with my Kibler 40 SMR with its Rice barrel. It’ll still load when I start to feel a crude ring at that point, but accuracy tends to go to manure if I don’t swab it.

@BillyC

15 shots? Man, I’d feel cheated if there wasn’t at least 25 shots to take during our club shoots. Most of them are over an hour drive (different locations each time) so I like to get my money’s worth.

I only need to swab after about 10 shots with my Kibler 40 SMR with its Rice barrel. It’ll still load when I start to feel a crude ring at that point, but accuracy tends to go to manure if I don’t swab it.
I live 3 miles from my club so I take my time shooting and usually I’ll shoot s few unmentionables also so 10-15 shots with the flinter is normal

My guess as well. Never have to 'wipe'. Loading each shot cleans the bore as it goes down. The only era when I had such problems was the short period when I fell for the 'bore butter' BS.

Don't feel bad, a lot of us fell for that BS. Who ever came up with that marketing idea could of sold ice to
My guess as well. Never have to 'wipe'. Loading each shot cleans the bore as it goes down. The only era when I had such problems was the short period when I fell for the 'bore butter' BS.

Don't feel bad a lot of us fell for that BS. The guy who came up with that marketing idea could of sold ice to the Eskimos

When squirrel hunting and shooting I often I just put dirty patches in my pocket to discard later.

Shooting is supposed to be fun. Swabbing a bore between every shot is NOT,
The things that determine fowling build up are patch/ball combo, and lube. You can absolutely find a combo that will fix this. Too loose…..fouling, lube that doesn’t keep fouling soft……same problem.
Tight combo, liquid lube……no fouling.

The idea of a bunch of patches lying around sounds a bit 'sloppy', I'd think. Kinda ruins the image of hunting or advancing in an old time wooded atmosphere. Maybe policing up after would be in order?
Shoots I’ve been to we pick them up. At a range shoot we have a patch picking at the end everyone walks down rage and picks up any patches they find.
“Take only what you need , leave only foot prints”.

Shoots I’ve been to we pick them up. At a range shoot we have a patch picking at the end everyone walks down rage and picks up any patches they find.
“Take only what you need , leave only foot prints”.
I reckon I will say one more thing: I've never had a BP rifle I didn't swab after each shot. And swabbed the same way each time. Plus i use a tiny bottle brush brush to clean the touch hole. Not because they are more difficult to load without that, but just for the consistency. I don't know for sure whether it makes any difference or not, just something I've always done. It sort of gives me more confidence in the subsequent shot. So a fail to fire or a miss I feel like was on me, not the gun. Someone else above said each subsequent lubed RB going down will clean the bore sufficiently. Makes sense, but I have to wonder if that might push crud against the breech face. Also, the cleaning patches I use to swab are put into a slotted rod tip so that the patch can be folded over the very once or twice, depending on bore size. When that reaches the breech, the rod can be twisted thus turning the tip to clean the breech face. If we do that with a jag, the jag will just turn inside the patch. Lighting the bore after cleaning with a slotted tip, shows shiny clean steel at the breech face. But then other than me and others with OCD, why do we need a shiny breech face when in the woods or at the range. I doubt if Hawkeye swabbed between shots, nor did he have a slotted tip.

I reckon I will say one more thing: I've never had a BP rifle I didn't swab after each shot. And swabbed the same way each time. Plus i use a tiny bottle brush brush to clean the touch hole. Not because they are more difficult to load without that, but just for the consistency. I don't know for sure whether it makes any difference or not, just something I've always done. It sort of gives me more confidence in the subsequent shot. So a fail to fire or a miss I feel like was on me, not the gun. Someone else above said each subsequent lubed RB going down will clean the bore sufficiently. Makes sense, but I have to wonder if that might push crud against the breech face. Also, the cleaning patches I use to swab are put into a slotted rod tip so that the patch can be folded over the very once or twice, depending on bore size. When that reaches the breech, the rod can be twisted thus turning the tip to clean the breech face. If we do that with a jag, the jag will just turn inside the patch. Lighting the bore after cleaning with a slotted tip, shows shiny clean steel at the breech face. But then other than me and others with OCD, why do we need a shiny breech face when in the woods or at the range. I doubt if Hawkeye swabbed between shots, nor did he have a slotted tip.
Have you participated in woods walks?

Have you participated in timed woods walks?

Not being confrontational, just curious.

If you haven't try lubing patched with a bore cleaner. It literally cleans as you load and shoot. I have shot 25 shot match using a 32 cal with 42" barrel and never punched the barrel one time.

Latest posts

Back