• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannehill

40 Cal
Reaction score
I use either spit patch or Baiiistol patches for range shooting.

Curious what others use for patch lube when hunting.

I use TOTW mink oil for target and hunting. Why change anything for doing either. Had a guy tell me he wasn't worried about the difference when hunting, hope the game wasn't. Bonus is it works in hot and cold weather better than anything else I have ever used, a plus in Wisconsin.

Seems like I use something different every season. As long as it proves out when shooting in prep for the hunt. Last season was veg oil/alcohol. Squirt on, squeeze out, let the alcohol evaporate and ready to go.

I've tried every lube named so far in this topic and that will probably remain true right up through page four! 😀 They all worked fine. My guiding principal; keep it simple, apply consistently, don't use too much.

I make my own. It is nice and slick. Also does a great job at preserving. Also use thinner patches than what most guys shoot. In my hunting spots all the shots are short and each of my guns do well under 50 yards with the thinner patch material. I'm never gonna develop a load that requires me to beat the ball down the barrel.

Dixie Gun Works had a recipe for "Old Slickum", I make my own concoctions.No two batches are identical in ingredients.Regardless of what I do or don't put in the mess,it always seems to work.

I use either spit patch or Baiiistol patches for range shooting.

Curious what others use for patch lube when hunting.
I get a little more confused more easily these days. Been around this earth for nearly 30,000 days and sometimes wonder how many more I have left remaining.

So...... by chance, are you discussing bore patching between shots or roundball patching? I can't envision you bore-swabbing with straight Ballistol. Maybe seven parts water with one part Ballistol. But I wouldn't even go there. If that's what you are asking, use Windex, water, spit, 70% alcohol or Cayugad's favorite..... the ol' blue windshield washer solution.

No, he didn't dip the patch over the round opening of the entire gallon jug of windshield solution. He poured a little into a now emptied Windex or eyeglass spray bottle and sprayed sparingly. A little damp patch - then a dry one..

Last edited:
Back