• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frozen hunts, fowling shots, spit patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, something close to all purpose is simpler. My perspective of a blackpowder firearm, is an internal combustion engine. Water to clean, ok; water to shoot, (spit) not for me.
Olive oil, in its pure form is good down to sub zero for hunting. In my smoothbore, over powder wad, and cushion wad, with shot or even with patched ball works well.
Then with reverse thinking, as the temps get warmer, I add gradients of beeswax to my lube, to keep the oil from getting sloppy, and easier to handle in the field.

Just my habit and practice.

Were you actually there firsthand to see the loading and shooting and blowing up of the barrel due to a 50/50 cotton/polyester patch or you saw the banana barrel second hand and heard the story?
I saw the barrel, stock, and patch. The incident resulted in litigation and I was part of the initial investigation.

It would seem for practicality sake, it would be better to slightly change your range routine.
You can always prelube the patch material before you leave the house.
You should be able to find a lube/patch/ball combo that doesn't give you that 1st shot high and right flier.
Depending on how you feel about buying stuff that only has one or two uses, I'd try 100% pure Mink Oil 1st (not the stuff sold for shoe care), followed by neatsfoot oil or neatsfoot oil mixed with just enough melted beeswax to form a soft paste. If you want to use stuff you may already have on hand and/or will use for other things I would try an olive oil/beeswax blend (I do sometimes add a cap full of Murphy's Oil Soap).

Unfortunately, to get what you say you want, you will have to change something.
Great advice. What's the most historically correct lubes?

Great advice. What's the most historically correct lubes?
Olive oil was used and referred to as "sweet oil."
Animal fats, rendered most of the time, were also used. Bear oil/grease and sperm oil (from sperm whales, I believe a certain part of the head) seeming to be most popular, the whale oil being used to oil the locks.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but, I seem to recall recently seeing a posting of period mention of coconut oil/fat being used, but it was only the one reference. Either way, the refined does work very well.

I hunt in extremely cold conditions ... well below zero sometimes and usually below freezing. But my loads need to print the same no matter the conditions. I won't mess with "I have to aim x inches different" in the excitement of a hunting shot that has to count (other than a little elevation change).

For my money, and consistent performance, clean or dirty, hot or cold, Track's Mink Oil, LIGHTLY APPLIED, is what works for me. I don't gob it on the patch. A little goes a long ways!

I like Young Country but mink oil is also great.
I remember years ago hunting in PA late season, I had bore butter in a tube and could not squeeze it out unless I put the tube under my truck wheel. I do not like to use spit as I might track deer all day and worry about rust.

Latest posts

Back