• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose Snot or Moose Spit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to the black powder side of muzzleloaders. I purchased a TC Hawken 50 cal. I shoot .490 with .015 pillow ticking using Stumpy's moose Snot for lube. I am wondering what are the origins of why it is called moose snot or moose spit? Did someone shoot a moose and decide to use moose drool for his patches and from then on it became folklore. Any humorous or sarcastic info would be appreciated.

Stumpkiller, a member and moderator here invented the formula. I expect he named it on a whim, he not being without a sense of humor.

I am new to the black powder side of muzzleloaders. I purchased a TC Hawken 50 cal. I shoot .490 with .015 pillow ticking using Stumpy's moose Snot for lube. I am wondering what are the origins of why it is called moose snot or moose spit? Did someone shoot a moose and decide to use moose drool for his patches and from then on it became folklore. Any humorous or sarcastic info would be appreciated.
Considering that many of us use "Moose Milk" as a general lubricant with "Moose Milk" being any of a large assortment of solutions that include water soluble oils, water, maybe rubbing alcohol, maybe soap, maybe hydrogen peroxide and other exotic ingredients that turn the resulting solution into a milky colored mixture, I think that Stumpkiller wanted a name similar to, but unique from the huge assortments of "Moose Milks". So, he used Moose Snot for the slick mixture and Moose Drool for the human spit substitute. Would we have started using the solutions if he named them slick stuff and spit substitute? I agree with @longcruise that Stumpy used his sense of humor to name the mixtures. Regardless of the name they are tobe considered among the effective mixtures that can be used.

Last edited:
You make moose milk?????!!!!!!
Wow!
I tried milking a moose but she was none too happy with me. And her two calfs were viscous. I know it just a calf but a hundred pounds of butting charging angry hungry guys.
I find squeezing oil out of minks a lot easier. I have heavy gloves cause them little guys bite. However their long slim bodies make them easier to wring like a wash cloth.

Ok I know I'm gonna take some heat for this but so be it-

What the heck?

If you are target shooting, meaning load and fire within a reasonable period of time say 10 minutes +/-, Spit/saliva works perfectly and is FREE. Better than water or any other liquid concoction you can come up with.

If you are hunting, any tallow based lube, such as TOTW mink tallow or mutton tallow or bear grease or dare I say it (I know it's NOT tallow!!!) Crisco or finally BoreButter/Wonderlube 1000 works perfectly. Does NOT contaminate the powder charge.

Why reinvent the wheel? Learn the lessons our forefathers tried to teach us. It ain't hard!

I will admit that spit works great and I did try it once on my first woods walk and even at my home range a few times but then strange things started happening. I started gagging every time I stuck a dry patch in my mouth. Seems I developed a nasty taste in my mouth from it and hated the texture of the patch material. I went back to the bore butter and the wonder lube, from there, onto TOTW Mink Oil with my pre cut patches. Recently I cut some strips of pillow ticking and soaked them in my moose milk of 5 to 1 Ballistol and water, laid out to dry, but haven't tried it yet. I want to see if I can get the feel of cutting the patch at the muzzle which I have never done before. My hunting lube is the mink oil ,of course but I usually use it for bench shooting also.

Latest posts

Back