• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a little more confused more easily these days. Been around this earth for nearly 30,000 days and sometimes wonder how many more I have left remaining.

So...... by chance, are you discussing bore patching between shots or roundball patching?
Round ball patches

I use either spit patch or Baiiistol patches for range shooting.

Curious what others use for patch lube when hunting.
t
I always use Track of the Wolf mink oil for patch lubrication. They claim it doesn't freeze and deer season in South Dakota can mean temperatures below zero. I cannot say for sure about other products but I have read some shooters claim that some of the other patch lubes turn rock like in cold weather.

I use a 4 to 1 water and ballistol dry patch method at the range and hunting. The gun likes it so why change. It hasn't given me any problems.

I use Track or the wolf mink oil or lard, I can’t see a differnce shooting. Lard is cheaper but I get a snob boost when I use mink. So that’s most of my shooting.
I like to target shoot with my hunting load, even though it’s a hundred to one. But I like knowing what to expect when in the woods.

Lots of good replies. The many different concoctions only demonstrate this is a 'do yer own thang' game. I have used many different lubes. I do not switch from range to hunting with different lubes. Current lube is whale oil and beeswax. But going to switch again soon as this one doesn't work well for me. Might try straight mink oil as that seems to popular among many here. Bear grease/oil would be great but availability is limited. BTW, of the many I have tried, chicken fat is far and away the worstest ever, Crisco next worstest.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Stumpy's Moose Juice. Of the 38 muzzleloaders I have, I've yet to find one that doesn't shoot well and love it.

Stumpy's Moose Juice
A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.

Last edited:
I used old cotton shirt strips and spit in my old Springfield Armory .54 hawken. Unless I was at a big shoot, then I'd pre cut the shirt strip into squares and grease them down with bore butter. It shot great groups. Been trying the same combo in my newly acquired Lyman great plains rifle so far I'm getting the same results.

I'm starting to use (testing) Blackie Thomas' expensive gun butter. C3GAC through in a free bar of soap in the shipment. (Maybe to comment on my hygiene). :/

Latest posts

Back