• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will probably get me a lot of hate but, imho, there seems to be a great degree of predudice among traditionalists against Pyrodex.

I think,(also my opinion based on what I read) perhaps it is felt, if your shooting a wood stock, side hammer, suit burner you should only use bp not a synthetic powder. (Period)

If you are comfortable shooting Pyrodex, you clean your gun properly after shooting, there isn't a problem.

You are right, if you are shooting a caplock, there is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting one of the synthetics, especially if you live in a place where you can't get the real thing....or you just like to shoot synthetics. But, if you shoot a flintlock....well, real black powder is an absolute necessity because synthetics, by themselves, just won't work reliably in a flintlock. Other than that, it is just like Clyde said, it is butter VS margarine Ford VS Chevy, etc. Many folks who are sold on one of these will want to tell you that it is the ONLY way to go. In most cases, it's just opinion and you know what they say about opinions.......and this is my opinion :haha:

In most cases, it's just opinion and you know what they say about opinions

Well,....We could use facts instead of opinions. :haha:

Fact #1. Only one powder is historically accurate and period correct.

Fact #2. Only one powder is considered Non-toxic.

Fact #3. Only one powder is actually black in color
Fact# 4. Only one powder doesn't have inherent ignition problems.

Fact# 5. Nobody cares about facts... :haha:

There was a bp shortage when Pyrodex first came on the market. The inventor, Dan Pawlek, was viewed as a sort of savior to the sport. ML shooters could continue shooting. I was doing a lot of writing at the time and was sent some pre-market Pyrodex to test and review. In caplocks I could not get ignition, now way, no how. :cursing: The stuff ended up as fertilizer. I also noticed the wording on the container which said it does not corrode "like" black powder. That qualifying word jumped out at me. Doesn't say it doesn't corrode. It corrodes but in a different way than bp. That's marketing language. I might have a can on the shelf, really dunno. :idunno: If I do it is very dusty and will never be used by me. :shake:

I mean I prefer real black its just a lot harder to find so instead of spending my time looking for or traveling to get it I just grab what I can get easily and spend that time making smoke

Rifleman1776 said:
i stopped using black powder altogether because the stuff is so cruddy.

That's a shame. :( The smoke, smell and "crud" is part of the charm of the ml avocation. Like the difference between sleeping in an old style canvas lodge or a modern camper trailer.

You really are my brother.... :thumbsup:

CapPopper said:
I mean I prefer real black its just a lot harder to find so instead of spending my time looking for or traveling to get it I just grab what I can get easily and spend that time making smoke

It may be "technically" harder to find if you are walking around looking for it...BUT!.. If you let your fingers do the walking....It's only a click or phone call away.

This makes it much easier to find than traipsing about the countryside....

People just like to make excuses...

It's about priorities. Not everyone has a spare couple hundred bucks in their budget to just order a bunch of BP when a sub is readily available and does the job and maybe 1# will last a year or two. I have been that way myself. Now I am doing better and can afford to get real BP ordered if I have a need.

As for me?

When I started getting into muzzleloader’s I used Pyro exclusively. My first muzzleloader was a caplock. I put quite a few ball’s and a ton of Pyrodex through that muzzleloader through the years! I rarely had ignition problems or delays. Never had corrosion nor rust issues. I always thoroughly cleaned and lubricated my muzzleloader after each outing. Still have that first muzzleloader and the bore is pristine!

Now that I’m into flinter’s as well, I do keep an adequate quantity of Goex BP on hand. Always able to resupply from Friendship annually. If I don’t go, one of my friends will bring it back to me.

In closing, I have a good supply of both Pyro and BP. If I’m shooting caplock’s it’s gonna be Pyrodex. If I’m shooting flinter’s exclusively it’s definitely gonna be Goex 3f BP.

If Pyrodex is all you can get your hands on and the price is right, and your shooting caplock’s? Then I’d say burn Pyrodex and enjoy! Just be sure you give your muzzleloader a really good cleaning and proper lubrication at the end of every outing. Also recheck the bore after a couple of days after cleaning and lubing.

Just my two cents my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I try to shoot more than that but even then ordering powder is just out of my budget when I can get a pound of pyrodex 10 miles from home for $18.00. I like real black its just not a big enough difference to fret over

I like black powder best with the possible exception of for my .36 Navy revolver. My chronograph suggests that I get significantly more velocity with Pyrodex in this gun than with even Swiss 3F powder; more testing to follow. For any other gun I own I will use black powder.

CapPopper said:
I try to shoot more than that but even then ordering powder is just out of my budget when I can get a pound of pyrodex 10 miles from home for $18.00. I like real black its just not a big enough difference to fret over

Real black powder has always been cheaper than Pyrodex....UNTIL, Hodgdon bought Goex...Since then the price has steadily increased, and they are basically the same price now....No doubt they figured they could make more money that way...

What we need is another domestic producer. to offer competition....

I grew up shooting pyro, and as adult did the same.

Eventually, I got tired of the orange patches and did some testing. I am sure it's preserved on one forum or another (maybe the 1858 group if not here) but my informal result was that Pyro is FAR more corrosive than BP. T7 was actually leap years ahead of both.

It was be BP for me from then on. My opinion is that pyro is distinguishably more corrosive, and that in the end, there's simply no time or money to be saved buying walmart's end of year supplies.

I would agree except the closest place I can find that "might" carry real BP is 70 miles away and I can't even find out for sure if they do.... Cabelas apparently doesn't dicks sporting goods doesn't none of the remotely local shops do the closest place I know for sure is friendship Indiana which is ok if you're just feeding one flintlock or a couple small ones.... Lacking the money to buy more than A pound or two at a time pyrodex is available locally without an added fee and is not that expensive... However if 777 is better then I might check into that.... I want to know I can buy powder without spending hours and hours or hundreds of dollars at a time before I buy a flintlock which I would really like to have.... But from what I see powder options where I am make that nearly impossible if I actually want to shoot the gun outside of hunting.... Plus 25% more shots from pyrodex versus real black isn't a bad perk

CapPopper said:
I would agree except the closest place I can find that "might" carry real BP is 70 miles away and I can't even find out for sure if they do.... Cabelas apparently doesn't dicks sporting goods doesn't none of the remotely local shops do the closest place I know for sure is friendship Indiana which is ok if you're just feeding one flintlock or a couple small ones.... Lacking the money to buy more than A pound or two at a time pyrodex is available locally without an added fee and is not that expensive... However if 777 is better then I might check into that.... I want to know I can buy powder without spending hours and hours or hundreds of dollars at a time before I buy a flintlock which I would really like to have.... But from what I see powder options where I am make that nearly impossible if I actually want to shoot the gun outside of hunting.... Plus 25% more shots from pyrodex versus real black isn't a bad perk

I counted something like 10 excuses in that post....Not really sure, I kept losing count.. :haha:

Back