• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, if I had easier access to Goex, and it wasn't so much more costly than what I currently use, Id use it exclusively. When I finally get my first flinter I will likely make the switch anyhow for the same reason you use only Goex. using only one powder for everything just makes more sense.

Sounds like you are getting smarter as you get older. I have never used that fake stuff.

sidelock said:
Sounds like you are getting smarter as you get older.

That, and real BP is the only cure for flintlock fever.... :wink:

The Three biggest reasons I like real black powder are;

1. The smell, No other powder smells like real BP. When you are hunting in the early morning and you fire that first round, the smell immediately transports me back in time.

2. Cleaning, the dreaded and hated job of cleaning. Real black powder might foul worse than other powders but, not are as easy to clean.

3. It's the only powder that works in a flintlock.

I used it all the time, preferred T7 over pyrodex. Reason.... prior to landing here I had NO IDEA you could get it via UPS and it is N/A anywhere near me. I had good luck with it and wouldnt hesitate to use again. I even used a primer load under T7 in the flinter to save on real BP (works just fine). However I prefer real black so I now use it almost all the time

Colorado Clyde said:
sidelock said:
Sounds like you are getting smarter as you get older.

That, and real BP is the only cure for flintlock fever.... :wink:

The Three biggest reasons I like real black powder are;

1. The smell, No other powder smells like real BP. When you are hunting in the early morning and you fire that first round, the smell immediately transports me back in time.

2. Cleaning, the dreaded and hated job of cleaning. Real black powder might foul worse than other powders but, not are as easy to clean.

3. It's the only powder that works in a flintlock.

:doh: ...I forgot the biggest reason of all.....NO ignition problems

"To be honest, if I had easier access to Goex,..."

It is pretty easy. Pick up the phone and order it. That is much easier and cheaper than buying Pyrodex at a physical shop.

Real BP is much less corrosive. Pyrodex may damage your bore. When it does cause corrosion it seems to etch worm holes into the steel. BP is more of a surface reaction. I see no reason to use pyrodex. Opinions vary.

My thing is I never have the money to order enough goex to make the haz-mat fee worth it... I usually buy a pound at a time cause that's the money I can spare if I could find goex in a store in reasonable driving distance it would be a different story but sometimes I can find pyrodex so cheap I can buy 3 or 4 pounds for the cost of a pound of goex with fee... So I use pyrodex cause goex is not cost effective

Everyone I know close thinks im crazy they don't want to join the insanity... Lol

CapPopper said:
My thing is I never have the money to order enough goex to make the haz-mat fee worth it... I usually buy a pound at a time cause that's the money I can spare if I could find goex in a store in reasonable driving distance it would be a different story but sometimes I can find pyrodex so cheap I can buy 3 or 4 pounds for the cost of a pound of goex with fee... So I use pyrodex cause goex is not cost effective

EXACTLY my issue. If I could afford to order a bunch at one time I would but its just not cost effective when you cant buy bulk

Adui said:
CapPopper said:

EXACTLY my issue. If I could afford to order a bunch at one time I would but its just not cost effective when you cant buy bulk

There is this old device that you rarely see any more....works great for buying powder.....

pphPpPo.jpg

CapPopper said:
How many should one buy to make it worth?

I'm not sure exactly but I think its close to 50 dollars just in haz-mat then the price of powder then I believe regular shipping applies to so if you only buy 1 pound you'll have over 70 dollars in it.... If you buy 10 pounds haz-mat fee is the same as 1 pound but in this case it ends up coming out to 5 dollars a pound for haz-mat which isn't bad. The more you buy the less the haz-mat fee really ends up being but I can't drop 200-300 dollars on powder at once so the fee makes it far to expensive to mess with....

Cap, you are probably about 150 miles from Friendship IN. Save you money and plan on a road trip to the NMLRA Spring shoot. Join the NMLRA and you can buy black powder on site and no haz-mat is charged.

Of course with all the black powder supplies available, you may spend far more than $300.

CapPopper said:
I'm not sure exactly but I think its close to 50 dollars just in haz-mat then the price of powder then I believe regular shipping

Hazmat and shipping are included in the price if you buy it from the right people.

Otherwise.

Ground Shipments to the 48 contiguous United States: Shipped by UPS Ground only. Shipping costs and $27.50 USD HAZMAT

Well that's not as bad as I thought but it still makes it not worth buying just a couple pounds.... I've been intending to join the nmlra soon with tax time coming up I should have a little money to spare

In my lifetime i've used at least a few hundred pounds of black powder and large quantities of Pyrodex. i don't believe Pyrodex is more corrosive than black powder.

Both black powder and Pyrodex contain sulfur. Never had any problem with rust or corrosion with either because my guns are cleaned and stored properly.

i stopped using black powder altogether because the stuff is so cruddy.

Someone on this or another board did tests that showed Pyrodex is in fact more corrosive. He put Pyrodex and BP and another powder each on a piece of steel, burned it and monitored it with pictures to show it was more corrosive. That said, corrosive is corrosive and the gun still needs to be properly cleaned. I think Pyrodex gets a bad wrap over it. If you don't clean your gun properly, it's going to get corrosion damage whether you use Pyrodex, BP or most other subs.

CapPopper said:
.... I've been intending to join the nmlra soon...

When you do, you can buy real black powder at Friendship when you go to either (or both) the Spring or Fall shoots. It is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Friendship for you and the rewards will be more than worth it. You will never have more fun with your clothes on. :haha:

Back