• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I couldn't find a forum that matched this perfectly but this is close enough.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple screened powder begins as serpentine, with the additional step of being screened for size and packaged as is. it is noticelably LESS DENSE than commercial corned powder. Virtually all of this simple screened propellant is made by hobbyists and not available commercially.
Corned powder varies from simple screened powder by its additional processes of being wetted and then compressed into a die under tons of pressure. forming a puck-like cake. Once the 'pucks' are properly dried they're broken up and screened into various size granules before packaging.
The important take away is that corned powder is MORE dense and therefore heavier per a given capacity volume-wise. It burns a bit slower for comparable granulations, BUT has more energy due to the increased density. It's a slippery slope of trade offs, and sometimes the screened serpentine will outperform the other stuff, but its not the normal outcome!
I think that screened powder is more powerful by weight. And I think screened powder excels in cap and ball.

And crybabies when they don't get their way. Whine about the rules, then call others names...how mature...
I understand the rule and respect it. This is not a post about that. This is a post questioning if corned powder is actually any better than screened.

Until we get some actual numbers it's all conjecture which is more powerful. You know, if screened were actually more powerful, then why would manufacturers go through the extra steps of corning? I've looked into the whole process, but have forgotten the benefits of corning, but seem to recall that one benefit is putting the different ingredients into closer contact with each other. Yeah, of course it's denser, but the point is that the closer together the particles are, the better it ignites.

I think that screened powder is more powerful by weight. And I think screened powder excels in cap and ball.
First unpucked powder and pucked powder are both screened... that's how we get 2F and 3F and priming powder, etc.
I think what you're referring to is when they grate the powder without having compressed it into a puck.
So far as I know, ALL tests show that pucked powder, which is all commercially made powder, is vastly superior to non-pucked.

IF you're getting different results than that, then a discussion of how you are making your unpucked powder would be needed, and that doesn't happen here.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back