• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

October Postal Match target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would try the pistol match also, with my 1860 Colt. I shot the rifle Tao with my 25 caliber flintlock

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpeg
    IMG_4271.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Had a nice October day today, so I thought I would take my Traditions Pennsylvania 50 cal rifle out since I haven’t shot it for a while. Shot it off the bench. Had a pretty good group. Was overcast most of the time except for the one shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
.40 Poor boy flintlock
.390 RB PT patch
Maxi Lube
40 grains FFF
Beautiful day in the heartland.
My target is from sitting, supported.
Had issues with ignition while off hand so I switched to supported.
Fun target Gary, easy to see.
Score 45
008.jpg

A glorious day to burn powder in central Wyoming! But of course; what day isn't?
Shooting with a cross wind of 8 - 15 mph from the West, my left, I was shooting my Lyman Great Plains .50 w/ 1: 66 twist - Off Hand.

Load: 40gr Triple 7 2f, .015 patch lubed with moose milk, .495 Hornady round ball.
Point of Aim: Bear's Right Eye
Score: 40

Attachments

• October Target.jpeg
    October Target.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 0
Really fun targets Gary! Everyone who saw it just shook there head and laughed.

Perfect evening to be shooting my 58 Kolonial. Got excited and hit his bow tie with my last ball on my first try. Calmed down and shot my other bear and managed to send 3 balls into his right eye.

58 Kolonial
.570 ww
60gr 5fa Goex mixed with a little 3fff Swiss
.015 ticking patch
H2o and Napa soluble oil
Offhand
Score: 60
Elk season starts this weekend!! Wishing everyone a great fall season...
It's great to be alive and be shooting!
20231018_234149.jpg

Last edited:
Really fun targets Gary! Everyone who saw it just shook there head and laughed.

Perfect evening to be shooting my 58 Kolonial. Got excited and hit his bow tie with my last ball on my first try. Calmed down and shot my other bear and managed to send 3 balls into his right eye.

58 Kolonial
.570 ww
60gr 5fa Goex mixed with a little 3fff Swiss
.015 ticking patch
H2o and Napa soluble oil
Offhand
Score: 60
Elk season starts this weekend!! Wishing everyone a great fall season...
It's great to be alive and be shooting!
View attachment 261785
Nice shooting Freedom! Good luck with the elk hunting - look forward to hearing about your hunt.

I acquired a .32 Green Mountain drop in barrel for the Thompson Center Hawken this week. So I decided to see how she shoots today. After shooting 10 rounds at another target so I could get a feel for how she shoots, I decided to post the monthly target and give it a go. I decided to keep the barrel. :)

Off Hand:
I was shooting my Thompson Center Hawken with a Green Mountain .32 drop in barrel w/ 1: 48 twist. No wind, which is unusual for Wyoming.

Load: 20gr Triple 7 3f, .015 patch lubed with moose milk, .310 Hornady round ball.
Score: 58

Attachments

• October Target .32.jpeg
    October Target .32.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
I acquired a .32 Green Mountain drop in barrel for the Thompson Center Hawken this week. So I decided to see how she shoots today. After shooting 10 rounds at another target so I could get a feel for how she shoots, I decided to post the monthly target and give it a go. I decided to keep the barrel. :)

Off Hand:
I was shooting my Thompson Center Hawken with a Green Mountain .32 drop in barrel w/ 1: 48 twist. No wind, which is unusual for Wyoming.

Load: 20gr Triple 7 3f, .015 patch lubed with moose milk, .310 Hornady round ball.
Score: 58
Nice target MSmith! Thanks for posting!

Put a peep sight and hooded front sight on my Green Mtn. Barreled TC Renegade. Not a great group, but I do believe I shot a 60 on the target. Lower left jaw taken out. Once you do an overlay Gary, correct me if I’m wrong. .495 ball, .018 ticking, 40 grains OE 3F. Hoppes BP Solvent for lube.
IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg
Easy to see and fun to shoot!

Good weather for shooting the Teddy Bear today! Thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and try it with a smoothbore, namely my Green River Forge 20ga. NW trade gun (no rear sight). I think I did okay, but forgot it was a 6 shot target and only shot 5 (duh!). I used a patched RB @ .597", but rolled between 2 files so it wa .~5985" (Tanner mould). The .018" patch was fairly easy to load, but .014" in my experience works just as well and loads right quick! I used 70gr. Graf's (GOEX) FFg with a thin card stock wad over the powder and under the patch. Considering I haven't shot the trade gun in quite awhile, I'm pleased with the result, even though I'm 1 shot short. Perhaps my experience will motivate others to try a smoothbore: The lack of a rear sight isn't the obstacle that many make it out to be. Edit: I fired this at 25 yd., kneeling with my right elbow on the shooting bench. (Offhand shooting leaves me with a week's worth of back pain.)

Attachments

• IMG_6503.jpeg
    IMG_6503.jpeg
    733 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Put a peep sight and hooded front sight on my Green Mtn. Barreled TC Renegade. Not a great group, but I do believe I shot a 60 on the target. Lower left jaw taken out. Once you do an overlay Gary, correct me if I’m wrong. .495 ball, .018 ticking, 40 grains OE 3F. Hoppes BP Solvent for lube.
Easy to see and fun to shoot!

Thanks for posting Quin! I would score that a 60 :thumb:

Good weather for shooting the Teddy Bear today! Thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and try it with a smoothbore, namely my Green River Forge 20ga. NW trade gun (no rear sight). I think I did okay, but forgot it was a 6 shot target and only shot 5 (duh!). I used a patched RB @ .597", but rolled between 2 files so it wa .~5985" (Tanner mould). The .018" patch was fairly easy to load, but .014" in my experience works just as well and loads right quick! I used 70gr. Graf's (GOEX) FFg with a thin card stock wad over the powder and under the patch. Considering I haven't shot the trade gun in quite awhile, I'm pleased with the result, even though I'm 1 shot short. Perhaps my experience will motivate others to try a smoothbore: The lack of a rear sight isn't the obstacle that many make it out to be. Edit: I fired this at 25 yd., kneeling with my right elbow on the shooting bench. (Offhand shooting leaves me with a week's worth of back pain.)
Thanks for posting Maven - looks like a 32 to me! MAybe we will see some more smoothies posting this month...

today i dug out my walker and shot the 15 yard shoot. have had this pistol for years and just never get it out and shoot it. think i should more. i make it 41 points. lots of fun! thanks again, Gary!View attachment 264376
Thanks for posting @deerstalkert !

I forgot to mark the ears as -1 point on the teddy bear, but in the instructions on page 1, I mentioned that hits in the ears would be minus 1 point:

Hits in the ear subtract 1 point because you just irritated the bear and he will be on you before you can reload!:eek:

So your corrected score is 39:thumb:

Glad you enjoyed the target deerstalkert and the November target doesn’t have any “gotchas” :ghostly:

Thanks for posting @deerstalkert !

I forgot to mark the ears as -1 point on the teddy bear, but in the instructions on page 1, I mentioned that hits in the ears would be minus 1 point:

Hits in the ear subtract 1 point because you just irritated the bear and he will be on you before you can reload!:eek:

So your corrected score is 39:thumb:

Glad you enjoyed the target deerstalkert and the November target doesn’t have any “gotchas” :ghostly:
Foul! i call foul! :p:p i need all the points i can get!
guess the age old affliction of never reading directions caught up to me again!
actually amazed i did even that good. it has been probably 5 years since i shot that piece. the POA was just below the left(his left) armpit.
i need to diddle with the sights or maybe add another 5 grs. or so of powder.
the score means little except it does make me compete against myself.
I don't know what to do with Nov's target though. Shoot it or eat it?????????

Foul! i call foul! :p:p i need all the points i can get!
guess the age old affliction of never reading directions caught up to me again!
actually amazed i did even that good. it has been probably 5 years since i shot that piece. the POA was just below the left(his left) armpit.
i need to diddle with the sights or maybe add another 5 grs. or so of powder.
the score means little except it does make me compete against myself.
I don't know what to do with Nov's target though. Shoot it or eat it?????????
Main thing is to have some fun out there and I enjoy friendly competition- makes shooting more interesting. As far as November target, I plan to stop at Dunkin Donut on the way to the range to shoot the donut so I can have my donut and eat it too!🤗

My Dragoon entry.
.457 RB
45(ish) gr Swiss 3fff... powder compressed with the rammer then the ball put on top and rammed home. She drops the loading ram most shots. I shimmed the latch spring and modified the catch but with this load it's just a fact of life.
Rapid fire, thigh-gap aim point 😋
48 points
20231011_094843.jpg

Last edited:
Not a bad day shooting! The first target was shot with an Uberti 1858 loaded with 20 grains of ffg under a .451 ball at 15 yards offhand. The second was with a Perdersoli Kentucky .50 flint, shooting a .485 ball, spit .018 patch, and 60 grains of ffg. If I scored them correctly its 43 for the pistol, and 26 for the rifle (we wont talk about where the 6th rifle shot went!). These were shot a few days ago, hopefully I'm not too late posting!

Attachments

• 20231101_112706.jpg
    20231101_112706.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231101_112654.jpg
    20231101_112654.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20231027-133136.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231027-133136.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back