• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

April Postal Match Target Celebrates National Kite Month!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got out on a windy Saturday to shoot the pistol.

Nessmuk with a .45 cal CVA shooting 20 gr. of Goex 3F .440 rb with a .015 spit patch.
Score of 20

Attachments

• DSCN1362.JPG
    DSCN1362.JPG
    438.4 KB · Views: 0
Took the Lyman Great Plains rifle and Plains pistol out to try the April target. I did better with the pistol than the rifle. I may try a different rifle before the month is up. The rifle target was a 12, the pistol scored a 25. It was a very hot April day here in Georgia.

Attachments

• April match Lyman Great Plains pistol.jpg
    April match Lyman Great Plains pistol.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Not as good as I wanted but better than I expected. This is my deer rig and on deer size targets there is no need for follow up shots but on kites… well this one is wounded bad, should not be a hard track to follow.😄
I measured the 12:00 shot with calipers but will defer to the scorers for final count.
Thanks Gary
IMG_0101.jpeg
IMG_0100.jpeg

Northwest Trade gun flintlock
Smoothbore
Off hand
.600 RB with pillow tick patch
Maxi Lube
60 grains of 3F

Score 30. My calipers indicated the hit on the right was just inside the 10 ring.
Finally had a nice day. Mid 50's, sunny and light wind here in Hoosier Land
030.jpg

Today was pleasant enough to do some shooting, although it's now breezy enough to fly a kite. The best I could do today was only 28 pts, because an errant shot (0 pts.) knocked me out of a potential 30 pts. or maybe even higher. Aside from some minor sighting issues (now resolved), I had a devil of a time with failures to fire: changed nipples (no joy) but FFFg under the nipple worked but not adding it resulted in another failure to fire. Lots of caps didn't help either. I solved the problem by taking out the clean out screw and running a dry pipe cleaner in the flash channel: Voila! Problem solved. Wish my aim could be fixed so easily.

Particulars The rifle was an Ethan Allan made by Mowrey (Waldron, IN). Factory data calls for a .495" RB, which I cast (Lee Precision mould) and wrapped in a .018" pillow ticking patch. The lube was 1 Ballistol : 6 Water, which allows shooting without having to swab the bore between shots. The powder was 50 gr. Graf & Sons (Goex) FFg, I shot this kneeling with my right arm on the shooting bench. As an aside, let me say the drop in the stock and the 1" x 32" bbl. make the Ethan Allan/Mowrey ideal for offhand shooting (which I suck at!), but the hooked buttplate makes shooting from any sort of rest a bit painful, even with lower powder charges. I used Win. #11Mag. caps, which work about as well as the Rem. #11's.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    725.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I see this often - offhand score is better than benched. I think a lot of it is how much you shoot offhand and get comfortable in that position.
I shoot most of these monthly matches off hand, with an occasional rest position. Strangely I shoot my trade gun smoothie better off hand even though it doesn't have a rear sight then I do my T/C flint and cap rifles and my .40 caliber poor boy flinter. Of course my accuracy with those guns shifts when i get beyond 50 yards.

Back