• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

January Postal Match Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All, Not to start an argument about smoothbore accuracy, but here are 2 targets I shot @ 25 yd. with my Green River Forge NW Trade Gun. Both were shot with patched RB's, but the multicolored one used .597", .600", and .603" RB's. Powder charge was 70gr. FFg (Graf's/Scheutzen).

Attachments

• img454.jpg
    img454.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
All, Not to start an argument about smoothbore accuracy, but here are 2 targets I shot @ 25 yd. with my Green River Forge NW Trade Gun. Both were shot with patched RB's, but the multicolored one use .597", .600", and .603" RB's.
I’m not sure what the argument would be. Looks like darn good accuracy to me.

Last edited:
All, Not to start an argument about smoothbore accuracy, but here are 2 targets I shot @ 25 yd. with my Green River Forge NW Trade Gun. Both were shot with patched RB's, but the multicolored one use .597", .600", and .603" RB's.
Nice shooting. No argument here on smoothbore accuracy. My problem with any weapon is the human element that I impart upon it. 😁

Gary, shot my January smoothbore target today. Looks like a score of 30, maybe 35?, your call. 25 yds, standing position, offhand.
.62 cal Fusil De Chasse
.600 RB
.020 patch cut at the muzzle with ballistol/water lube
70 gr Goex OE 2F, 2F in the pan
View attachment 283851
Hi PK - thnaks for posting! If I look closely I don't believe you have 1/2 the ball inside the 10 ring, so I will have to agree with a 30 score.

I hope to get out to shoot this with my rifle when weather improves!

Hi PK - thnaks for posting! If I look closely I don't believe you have 1/2 the ball inside the 10 ring, so I will have to agree with a 30 score.

I hope to get out to shoot this with my rifle when weather improves!
Sounds good. Fun target. Thanks Gary.

Dang... gonna have to go buy another printer. All my printers are too old and aren't supported anymore, and I had to get a new laptop recently. None of the four printers I had will work with Windows 11. Even had a fresh set of ink cartridges for one of them! Arrgggg! Technolo'gee is great (when it works) and if you can keep up.
can just about buy a gun for what they charge for ink cartridges ! PM me your address and i will send you a hand full of targets to get you by.

i shot one target today for practice and sight adjustment. scored 10
in my defense, it was 19* with a wind blowing. by the time i got loaded the first time i was shaking like a dog passing a peach pit. went down hill from there. still a better day than one with no shooting!
stapled the target to a amazon box and set it 25 yards . turned my back and my brother in law's hound snuck up and hosed it! should have taken the warning:rolleyes:

Gary, shot my January smoothbore target today. Looks like a score of 30, maybe 35?, your call. 25 yds, standing position, offhand.
.62 cal Fusil De Chasse
.600 RB
.020 patch cut at the muzzle with ballistol/water lube
70 gr Goex OE 2F, 2F in the pan
View attachment 283851
Great shooting. I am new to a smoothbore. I shot mine for the first-time last weekend. I am gathering load data. That target shows me it can be done with a smoothbore. I need to bench mine and sight it in or at least know where to aim it. I'm looking forward to shooting it again. I am looking forward to seeing some future targets shot with your smoothbore.

i shot one target today for practice and sight adjustment. scored 10
in my defense, it was 19* with a wind blowing. by the time i got loaded the first time i was shaking like a dog passing a peach pit. went down hill from there. still a better day than one with no shooting!
stapled the target to a amazon box and set it 25 yards . turned my back and my brother in law's hound snuck up and hosed it! should have taken the warning:rolleyes:

Sounds like my morning less the puppy whiz!

Joined some coworkers with our recently-formed "Smoker's Club" (an older, lifetime competitive powder burner, a relative newbie, and me) for breakfast at daylight and some shooting. After we built a fire to stave off frostbite and got some warmup shots downrange I posted this month's target and gave it a go again hoping to better last time under a little pressure. Barrel mirage was crazy, could barely see the target, my back was killing me from being twisted up in the tail of a plane working on wiring yesterday, front sight got loose, I had at least a pot of coffee in me, and it was 18⁰F with a little breeze. In other words as honest an "on demand" condition as it gets. Yeah, I still can't shoot straight. Had fun though!

20240120_213512.jpg

18 degrees! You’re a better man than me Ian! I tend to hibernate when temps here in Georgia drop below freezing🥶

Good news is that it doesn’t get this cold for more than a few days every year so doesn’t cut into my range time very much!

Well I made it out on this final day of January and all I could muster was a sad little 5 points.
1861 replica springfield musket.
.58 caliber patched round balls.
60 grains of 777.
Off hand, unsupported.

No excuses. The temp was near 40 degrees/no snow or rain and light wind.

Then when I finished I went over to the 200 yard range and managed to hit a 6" round steel plate at 100 yards. So I left the range on a hi note.

795.jpg

dragged my sorry self out and shot the target. still regulating the two barrels to hit same poa. getting close.
off the bench, 25 yards. 75g swiss 3f.
Lee real 325g
CVA express .50 sxs
CCI caps
bear and bee's lube.
15 points, though that clapper hole may be close to half.
i think i will like this gun.
20240131_155134.jpg

Latest posts

Back