• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully I can get out this weekend for some calling. The 6ft snow burm that kept me out of my hunting area all Winter is gone now.

kwilfong said:
If you had access to 120 acres around some other farms, would you kill coyotes to help your deer population?

Without hesitation...I'd kill every one that came into view...DRT.

Not only have wildlife departments established that they can kill fawns, they are also very bad on turkey eggs and any surviving turkey poults until the poults get 3-4 weeeks old and can fly up to roost in a tree at night.

The mortality rate of an average 11 egg clutch and surviving hatchlings is 85% killed.
Only 1.6 turkeys survive to adulthood and where coyotes are established they are responsibile for the majority of that post hatch mortality.

So would I shoot a coyote? Yes, every chance I get...I've even thought about gearing up to start doing some off-season coyote hunting after I retire, for the sole purpose of killing them...coyote trapping is on the upswing here in NC too.

roundball said:
The mortality rate of an average 11 egg clutch and surviving hatchlings is 85% killed.
Only 1.6 turkeys survive to adulthood and where coyotes are established they are responsibile for the majority of that post hatch mortality..

Got a data paper that supports those numbers?

Turkeys are the one thing I can say I've seen a big change here. Had a hell of a flock here in 2006, over 20 poults that year a lone. I used to film them bugging in my field, quite a sight. They roosed behind our barn for two years and then we started finding carcasses here and there. Spring of 2009 I saw one lone Tom come by a couple days in a row and then nothing. Have not seen a turkey here since then. Which really sucks because I had just started to get into hunting them and now to do so I'll have to find a place to go and do that. Which isn't exactly easy here.

Don't know exact numbers but I have seen too many coyotes come in to a turkey call for it to be coincidence. Chris

roundball said:
I've even thought about gearing up to start doing some off-season coyote hunting after I retire
Bill,
Predator hunting adds yet another dimension to the sport.
Addicting... and humbling. :thumbsup:

Brent said:
roundball said:
Only 1.6 turkeys survive to adulthood and where coyotes are established they are responsibile for the majority of that post hatch mortality..

Go to the NWTF website and you will find lots of data on mortality rates.

August West said:
Don't know exact numbers but I have seen too many coyotes come in to a turkey call for it to be coincidence. Chris

I have called them in many times the same way. But that is a FAR CRY from convincing evidence of their ability to limit the population. And as I have stated elsewhere, where ever it has been quantified, coyotes tend to have a positive effect on ground nesting birds - principally by reducing the abundances and activity of other mammalian nest predators that are much more effective (notably raccoons, skunks, opossums and esp. foxes).

Of course they kill turkeys directly, but how does that balance relative to these other effects? Generally, it balances on the positive side of the ledge when all is said and done. Of course, that doesn't sit well with the internet cognoscenti, but so be it.

Brent said:
August West said:

I have called them in many times the same way. But that is a FAR CRY from convincing evidence of their ability to limit the population. And as I have stated elsewhere, where ever it has been quantified, coyotes tend to have a positive effect on ground nesting birds - principally by reducing the abundances and activity of other mammalian nest predators that are much more effective (notably raccoons, skunks, opossums and esp. foxes).

Of course they kill turkeys directly, but how does that balance relative to these other effects? Generally, it balances on the positive side of the ledge when all is said and done. Of course, that doesn't sit well with the internet cognoscenti, but so be it.

Where is your verifiable evidence that coyotes help game populations by removing other predators.

Brent said:
August West said:

Sorry, but thats just so totally wrong from what I've oberved here the last 5 years or so.

Swampy said:
Sorry, but thats just so totally wrong from what I've oberved here the last 5 years or so.

Sorry but armchair observation doesn't cut it. Let's see the numbers? Why people think they can diagnose anything and everything from the front seat of their pick-up or the keyboards of their computers always amazes me.

twobarrel said:
Where is your verifiable evidence that coyotes help game populations by removing other predators.

It is all over the wildlife management literature. Look it up. Links have been posted here and other places, but you can google this easily with half an attempt.

Mike Brines said:
I just kill 'em. Less coyotes, more turkeys and grouse.

Bet not. But if you got that keyboard religion, well I won't talk ya out of it. That's the kind of thing that leads people to believe Coyotes were introduced by the Spanish. Some people believe anything w/o any data whatsoever. But that's nothing new.

Sorry, Brent but if you believe game management or the other "wildlife experts", I think you are believing wrong. Spend some time in the woods.

Brent said:
Swampy said:

Sorry but armchair observation doesn't cut it. Let's see the numbers? Why people think they can diagnose anything and everything from the front seat of their pick-up or the keyboards of their computers always amazes me.

What the hell do you mean by armchair? I know what I see every night here and have seen every night for the past 5 years. I see plenty of coyotes and I see plenty of foxes and I see opposums and way to many skunks. I don't see any turkeys anymore.

Brent said:
twobarrel said:

It is all over the wildlife management literature. Look it up. Links have been posted here and other places, but you can google this easily with half an attempt.

Having spent 40 years as a research prof. in wildlife management at a major university working with grad students on their research on the effects of game populations due to predation, I know of no verifiable data to back your statements, only data to refute it.

Brent said:
roundball said:

Google it up...

Back