• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwilfong

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What do you boys think when you happen across coyotes while deer hunting? I've seen quite a few in the last few deer seasons & thought it was neat to see them & especially to watch when they didn't see me 1st. Some guys I've chatted with shoot them on sight but I just haven't wanted to.
If you had access to 120 acres around some other farms, would you kill coyotes to help your deer population?

kwilfong said:
If you had access to 120 acres around some other farms, would you kill coyotes to help your deer population?
I don't. I like seeing them, hearing the pack sing in the night. I've never been convinced they are the threat to deer that some claim.

Spence

I always have a small game licence, so I can kill every coyote I see.

Scum of the earth. I put them in the same category as rats.

I don't think they are that much of a threat to deer;but they do take out the rabbits,pheasants, turkey,grouse and quail. So I will shoot them if I get the chance.

Unless theres deep snow to aid them, adult deer really are'nt bothered by coyotes. It's the fawn crop that suffers when theres a lot of coyotes in the area.

If you don't thin them out your rabbits then turkey then deer will decrease rapidly. Shoot on sight. There are bunches of coyotes here and the rabbits turkey and young deer are almost gone. no house cat or small dog is safe. Can't find a chipmonk or groundhog either. I am telling the honest truth but wish it wasn't true. Very few fox left. They are something you don't want to get started. But since you are seeing them your already in trouble. Larry Wv

actually studies have proved coyotes are good for small game populations because they kill meso predators like coons, possums,house cats, fox ect

Meso predators are the critters working on your small game

coons are the number on predator of turkeys in areas they are populous

I like coyotes and give them a pass

goody said:
I don't think they are that much of a threat to deer;but they do take out the rabbits,pheasants, turkey,grouse and quail. So I will shoot them if I get the chance.

Don't think for a minute coyote don't take large game.

Read:

Coyotes are opportunistic, versatile carnivores with a 90% mammalian diet, depending on the season. They primarily eat small mammals, such as voles, prairie dogs, eastern cottontails, ground squirrels, and mice, though they will eat birds, snakes, lizards, deer, javelina, and livestock, as well as large insects and other large invertebrates. Any species of birds that nests on the ground are targeted by coyotes. Though they will consume large amounts of carrion, they tend to prefer fresh meat. Fruits and vegetables are a significant part of the coyote's diet in the autumn and winter months. Part of the coyote's success as a species is its dietary adaptability. As such, coyotes have been known to eat human rubbish and domestic pets. They catch cats and dogs when they come too close to the pack. Urban populations of coyotes have been known to actively hunt cats, and to leap shorter fences to take small dogs. In particularly bold urban packs, coyotes have also been reported to shadow human joggers or larger dogs, and even to take small dogs while the dog is still on a leash. However, this behavior is often reported when normal urban prey, such as rabbits, have become scarce.[4]
Coyotes shift their hunting techniques in accordance with their prey. When hunting small animals such as mice, they slowly stalk through the grass, and use their acute sense of smell to track down the prey. When the prey is located, the coyotes stiffen and pounce on the prey in a cat-like manner. Coyotes will commonly work in teams when hunting large ungulates such as deer, which is more common in winter (when large prey is likely weakened) and in larger-bodied Northern coyotes. Coyotes may take turns in baiting and pursuing the deer to exhaustion, or they may drive it towards a hidden member of the pack.[4] When attacking large prey, coyotes attack from the rear and the flanks of their prey. Occasionally they also grab the neck and head, pulling the animal down to the ground. Coyotes are persistent hunters, with successful attacks sometimes lasting as much as 21 hours; even unsuccessful ones can continue more than 8 hours before the coyotes give up. Depth of snow can affect the likelihood of a successful kill.[30] Packs of coyotes can bring down prey as large as adult elk, which usually weigh over 250 kg (550 lbs).[31]

My family and I almost always will either put a bullet or arrow in one if a yote shows up. The only time I didn't do it was opening morning this year because I didn't want to disturb the area. For me it's not the affect on the deer population even though they do kill fawns and polts, but I like rabbit hunting and I want to keep them under control in case the quail population ever takes off. Right now on the 200 acres of land there's probably 2 coveys on the entire place. I'm thinking about trying to manage for them by putting up some strategic brush piles and other things like that.

I usually take the shot but not always. Not a coyote hater but like to take a hide. It's been pretty well shown that you can hunt them hard and they just reproduce to match the available food supply. Don't know how hard they may be on grown deer, but in the texas panhandle they could not resist my fawn in distress call!

They are opportunistic in what they hunt. They'll kill a deer, given the chance. Ever hear of dogs chasing down a deer? I witnessed it several years ago. These were domestic dogs, smaller than a Golden Retriever. I thought the buck would make it, as he was 500 yards ahead of them and headed to a swamp....they just ran him down until he couldn't run no more. Ate the back end off him, while he was alive. I found him the next week. Now imagine what they'll do to a fawn or any other game out there.

kwilifong, everyone's situation is different, everyone's attitude is different, so you aren't going to get a straight answer. You'll have to sort through a lot of conflicting opinion and make up your own mind. Strictly as one datum point, here's my experience. I bought 200 acres of farmland in 1980. There was a reasonable population of deer in the general area but very few on my place. The population built steadily until deer became less than rare on my place and I killed my first one there in 1994. The population has continued to grow rapidly so that F&G have liberalized both the length of hunting season and bag limit, you can now kill as many does as you want, $10 for each extra two. Turkeys were first restocked in our area around 1985 (?), and it was about 1993 before we saw our first bird on the farm. That population has also expanded to the point that bag limits and seasons have been liberalized, and turkeys are commonly seen on my place. I killed my first on the place in 2003, this year we've had a couple dozen roosting there, flocks of 25-30 commonly seen in the winter months on my farm. It was about 20 years ago that people began reporting coyotes in our area, and they rapidly became commonplace. I see them on my farm occasionally, we hear them sing frequently. I find it significant that the populations of deer and turkeys have both undergone impressive growth at the same time the population of coyotes did.

I am a long time amateur naturalist and none of this surprises me. My ideas of the relationship between coyotes and the game species we all hunt is different than some, but I have seen nothing which makes me think I should change my mind. We can enjoy both, and I do.

Spence

If it's not going to mess up a shot on other game the coyote gets shot every time. I've hunted on some places that offered a $50 bounty on every yote shot and brought in, if we shot enough it worked out the where we got paid to deer hunt.

It would depend. I raise chickens and turkeys and have no love for coyotes. If it's 11:00 AM and nothing is moving . . . bang. If it's 4:05PM and I am in a spot where a buck has been passing at twilight and I'm waiting quietly . . . no.

I actually say as many coyote as deer this past season. I am actively searching now season is over.

I live in southeastern Pa We have recently had a rise in the coyote population here. My home is located an hour outside of philly in a rural area. This past summer 5 coyotes were observed running together on numerous occasions. The reason I bring this up is an artical was released in our gamelaws booklet that suggests we are dealing with a genetically different dog than what most of the western states have as far as coyotes. Our dogs our getting bigger every year and numbers are continually on an increase. I live in what they call special regs are where we have an abundance of deer, unlimited doe tags(as many as you can buy till our allotment runs out roughly 100,000 for half of bucks county)and are able to hunt till the end of january. A few weeks ago, a group of guys pushed the valley across the street from my house and they killed a 40 plus pound dog.Last year other coyotes in the 40 to 50 pound range were taken. In neighboring communities there are many sightings of same size and numbers of dogs. To me its a little bit strange but then again this was not common here when I was growing up, now it is. As far as Im concerned the pack like mentality and the sheer size these dogs are getting is reason enough. We are their only predators, I absolutly believe in this for natural balance. I for one have no problem taking these animals. Next thing will be ferral hogs over-running PA????

I love coyotes and coyote hunting, if I am deer hunting, he gets a pass, if he comes in to my call he won't be so lucky.

I really don't see "good" animals and "bad" just animals just like me, trying to get by on this big ball of mud. If I was a farmer and losing livestock I would be more aggressive. I like to hunt and usually have a little game to go in the pot and as long as mister coyote don't get greedy I won't begrudge him a little game for his. Chris

After reading other posts here about coyotes, I have noticed a big difference in their behavior between the East and West (I was the guy who swore coyotes wound never attack a person :surrender: )

In the west, they are a big problem, as they are over-populated due to the drop in fur price and the readily available, and unnatural, food source of cattle. And they can really clean out the deer in an area! So with that in mind, I shoot them every chance I get. I'm by no means a coyote hater, but consider it a responsibilty to do whatever I can to help keep the numbers down, even though it's a losing battle. Bill

actually studies have proved coyotes are good for small game populations because they kill meso predators like coons, possums,house cats, fox ect

Meso predators are the critters working on your small game-------Don't belive a word of it. My eyes must be lying to me. Lets see now---should I belive my eyes or what the DNR says :hmm: Sorry but the coyotes are killing everything here. They have ended rabbit hunting and the deer population is down by 80% or so over the last few years. I don't hate coyotes either but they have to be stopped. Larry

You fellas that don't think yotes are much threat to deer must have the cute little western variety of yotes in your woods?Yotes on the east coast are big,mean hybrid sumbitches that can weigh well over 60lbs,hunt in packs,and can decimate a deer herd in the winter yards.When we get deep snow with a hard crust,the dogs have a field day,and they take alot of summer fawns too.Every deer hunter I know without exception shoots them on sight....always! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back