• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange Day for Me in the Woods.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but understand the theme at 66. Something just comes over you, I dunno. I saw it in my old dad in his later years. He'd go, but not take a shot.

I like the anticipation that comes when the days shorten and the leaves fall. I get all sighted in and ready at the range still to this day. But, lately I have just not felt up to popping a cap at one. There's deer everywhere here now. There's no challenge to it anymore; any goomba can kill one. I got a danged herd that scrapes and ruts in my back yard for crying out loud. Multiple little bucks running around while ole big boy 12 pt grazes at the edge, just like a freakin' scene out of Bambi. But just to prop up on my deck rail and plaster one for the he!! of it at point blank? Nahhh. Add to it the infiltration of CWD in this area... I'll pass for now.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but understand the theme at 66. Something just comes over you, I dunno. I saw it in my old dad in his later years. He'd go, but not take a shot.

I like the anticipation that comes when the days shorten and the leaves fall. I get all sighted in and ready at the range still to this day. But, lately I have just not felt up to popping a cap at one. There's deer everywhere here now. There's no challenge to it anymore; any goomba can kill one. I got a danged herd that scrapes and ruts in my back yard for crying out loud. Multiple little bucks running around while ole big boy 12 pt grazes at the edge, just like a freakin' scene out of Bambi. But just to prop up on my deck rail and plaster one for the he!! of it at point blank? Nahhh. Add to it the infiltration of CWD in this area... I'll pass for now.
I understand what you contend. However, rest assured that it is not that way everywhere.

I do get tempted....

IMG_3992~2.JPG

What a story. I had the exact same thing happen to me 30 years ago. I haven't killed another animal since. I shoot, own my fair share of guns and love everyone and they are going nowhere. But just for paper from now on.
David

I have found I get as much enjoyment swinging by the local butcher shop for venison steaks as I do traipsing through the woods for uncounted days. Especially now that the traipsing is no where as easy as it use to be.

50 years ago when I left home to make my fortune, one could stop by most any farm and gain permission to hunt the land. Many times the farmer would even tell you where they'd seen the deer and even help you pick a spot for opening day. 7 years ago when I returned to live once again in my home town, I find the farmers are not as cooperative and many have leased some or all of their land to local hunt clubs that have sprung up all over. And the clubs too own a lot of land. Just ain't the same anymore!

Yeah, the big properties are all tied up in hunt clubs $$$ and "family-only" hunting. I hunt a number of small properties on the islands here. None are farms. One is a landscaping company owner. Others are just good people who let me hunt. Lucky.

Latest posts

Back