• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to maine then. We don't have CWD here. I hunted the whole season last year never saw a deer. They only tagged 7 in my town. I wish we had your problems. Biologists say we have an average of 1 deer per square mile. A healthy herd is 20 per square mile.

Not as bad here Shine but getting close. Expect our deer will be gone in another year or two. Gone like in NONE. Larry

I would be disappointed if every coyote was gone. I do enjoy calling them in and shooting them. On the other hand if every wolf in north america could die of Parvo and I would celebrate. I hope I am wrong but I am thinking that some day we will look back and realize that wild Elk would still be in north america if the government had not imposed this infection on us. Zoos will be about the only place to see Elk and Moose. I haven't seen a moose in Idaho in several years. Many of our hunts are being closed for moose and more are to come. While Coyotes are a problem in some areas. Wolves will change the face of america, and not for the better. Ron

^^^^^Ron, you've got that right. From Big Game Forever:

Big Game Population Statistics

Lolo Elk Herd, Idaho
Before Wolf Introduction: 20,000
After Wolf Introduction: 1,700

Yellowstone Elk Herd
Before Wolf Introduction: 20,000
After Wolf Introduction: 6,500

Jackson, WY Shiras Moose
Before Wolf Introduction: 1,200
After Wolf Introduction: 120

Gallitan Valley Elk Herd
Before Wolf Introduction: 1,500
After Wolf Introduction: 200

Those numbers add up to a serious problem. Are there any grass roots organizations working the state governments about it? Are there any biologists giving statements? Man, from what time frame are these numbers?

Your not telling me anything I don't already know. I worked closely for 20+ years here with a Biologist (who cared) about the deer on Prudence Island which at one point reached 70 per square mile. I know what, when , why when it comes to deer. I still wouldn't mind a world without coyotes and Wolves for that matter.

Around my area we don't have chronic wasting disease but they are always worried about it spreading south from around the Chicago area and NW illinois area. But we did have quite a few deer killed by blue tongue a couple of years ago.

We have a growing problem with CWD here. The spread of it is due to the many corn piles lazy hunters put out each year. I have walked up on many of them, whizzed in every one. :grin: I have called the game warden on several, but it never helps. I think a few around here are starting to run dogs again, but they say they are "rabbit" hunting. Anybody know what a 30-06 will do to a rabbit? :idunno:

What most people don't realize is when they put out baits like that deer won't hardly touch it during the day. From my experience with a saltlick(never hunted over it, never will) that we put a trail camera over in the summer to look at all the deer. We'd hardly ever see a daytime photo.

We have a good bit of CWD here in CO. Most of it in the whitetail population in the north east part of the state. The same area is loaded with coyotes and pretty heavily populated with a growing population of whitetails.

Wonder why that is? :hmm:

When I moved to the Big Sky country about 17 yrs ago (soonest I could get here) Coyotes were plentiful around my home. So were deer,elk and moose. I saw bunches of them all every day. But very few fox.Then wolves came..... Now we have 9 elk visit our meadow instead of 150. No moose anymore. several deer still hang around in my front yard because they are safe within 100 ft of the house. Funny thing is--- I now see more foxes but a lot fewer coyotes. Turns out coyotes do fox in and wolves do coyots in. Can I take anything from this? I wonder hummmmmm.

That's a sad thing. 150 down to 9. :( Doesn't look good for the future. Thanks for the info on the Wolves eating Coyotes. Larry Wv

Funny, with 3 antelope, a few deer, a pile of pheasants and squirrels and wild turkey in the freezer - not to mention the domestic critters, I don't FEEL to much like a veggie.

But pray tell, you just get your panties all wadded up when you hear something that doesn't fit your PC world I guess.

Ah well.

When L&C came through this area (I'm about 300 yds from their path)they damed near starved to death.Look it up. The indians helped them out and they were eating their horses.There was no game here.Look it up.Early in the 20 cent. the wolves were eliminated by mostly govt. hunters and elk were planted. In 1994 wolves were planted and they took off---- the elk are just about gone. You think hunting did them in? NUTS :cursing: :cursing:

Brent said:
Funny, with 3 antelope, a few deer, a pile of pheasants and squirrels and wild turkey in the freezer - not to mention the domestic critters, I don't FEEL to much like a veggie.

But pray tell, you just get your panties all wadded up when you hear something that doesn't fit your PC world I guess.

Ah well.

No wadding up on my part.

You just say some strange things for a hunter.

Ah well. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back