• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swampy said:
Turkeys are the one thing I can say I've seen a big change here. Had a hell of a flock here in 2006, over 20 poults that year a lone. I used to film them bugging in my field, quite a sight. They roosed behind our barn for two years and then we started finding carcasses here and there. Spring of 2009 I saw one lone Tom come by a couple days in a row and then nothing. Have not seen a turkey here since then. Which really sucks because I had just started to get into hunting them and now to do so I'll have to find a place to go and do that. Which isn't exactly easy here.
I found two different carcasses/feathers from adolescent turkeys just last summer while scouting my woods areas for a possible different deer stand location

To nobody in particular. I don't "hate" coyotes because they are part of the ecosystem doing what nature built them to do. To the posters in general, they sure can/do affect game populations and farm animals. Back when I lived in Georgia I saw them constantly, even just driving to work. They certainly need to be managed and cropped to a reasonable level. One farmer had Great Pyrenees dogs just to guard his goats from coyotes. I'd hate to see them wiped out completely....and I don't think it's possible to do so by hunting. And I DO NOT condone the poisoning if any animal. Anyway, where's the sport in that. I shot one once - I guess we were both deer hunting - and got pretty excited about it (I have a low adrenalin threshold). :hmm:

Brent said:
Sorry but armchair observation doesn't cut it. Let's see the numbers? Why people think they can diagnose anything and everything from the front seat of their pick-up or the keyboards of their computers always amazes me.

You just did what you accused others of doing !

"...Of course they kill turkeys directly, but how does that balance relative to these other effects? Generally, it balances on the positive side of the ledge when all is said and done. Of course, that doesn't sit well with the internet cognoscenti, but so be it..."

If you love'em and don't want to kill coyotes, then don't...but don't sit behind your own keyboard and try to tell us we can't or shouldn't kill them. I take my direction from our State Wildlife Department, not a voice on the internet with a personal agenda...so kind of like what you said: "...Of course, that may not sit well with you as an internet cognoscenti, but so be it..."

About a year ago there was two groups of turkeys 40+ in each group around the barns. Have not seen a turkey since Nov of last year. When I got home about midnight last night two coyotes were close to the house.(my lying eyes saw them through the windshield. :) This morning our last cat wasn't on the steps at daylight to go to the barn with us. Every morning for three years. :hmm: To be polite about it this (fill in the blank) is getting old. And to add insult to injury the dnr is leaving the amount of deer allowed to be killed in this county the same as last year. About 9 deer. :( Between the coyotes and the people with book learning and no common sense our game animals are on their last legs. :( Larry Wv

This is a post off another forum

"I just got off the phone with a friend from columbus ohio who said that one of his friends had a trail camera up this year over a coyote den, and he has pics of 13 different fawns that were drug to that den.He said that he was going to take it to the ODNR fish and game officers to let them see the different dates on it"

Coyote population expansions are about like feral hogs...once they're allowed to get started in an area it's basically impossible to eradicate them...they're too cunning, largely nocturnal, and breed profusely.

Brent said:
You might try this: http://www.science.smith.edu/departments/Biology/VHAYSSEN/msi/pdf/i0076-3519-079-01-0001.pdf

and this http://www.stanford.edu/group/hadlylab/pdfs/Hadly1999.pdf

For just a couple of a whole bunch of references that prove that coyotes were here longer than the Spanish and even longer than humans.

Coulden't open it :idunno:
Let me find the web site and I'll share some yotie history.
I think what you are calling indiginous is what spanish dogs bred with indiginious dogs are.
Spanish dogs took over the smaller wild dog that was here before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the articles. They indicate the fossil record show the Coyote pre-dates the arrival of man on the continent.

The most effective means of coyote control is snaring. I know that it is not politically correct and even among some hunters it rubs them the wrong way but fact is fact. When Maine started a snaring program the dividend was a doubling of the deer kill in some places that were known for poor harvests. Then the animal rights ninnies put a stop to it. Now back to square one.

I read the articles. They indicate the fossil record show the Coyote pre-dates the arrival of man on the continent.

And, coyotes being what they are, will probably still be here when we're gone!

That is very true. They are here to stay but that doesn't mean we can control them. That can be tough in a state like Massachusetts that has a closed season on the varmints. It closed on March 8th and won't be open until Columbus Day. It is feel good legistlation.

The last yote that I killed smelled so bad I had to tie to 25 ft rope and drag it from the woods to the trk then tied to the bumper and drug it to where it could bury it. Still ssmell so bad I ended up buring my shovel. You can have my share to eat.

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
The last yote that I killed smelled so bad I had to tie to 25 ft rope and drag it from the woods to the trk then tied to the bumper and drug it to where it could bury it. Still ssmell so bad I ended up buring my shovel. You can have my share to eat.

No thanks. I'm full.

I make no special effort to shoot coyotes, as I would prefer not to ruin my chances of getting the game that I am hunting. However, I will take the shot if they wander into my range because the property owners who let me hunt expect this. Besides, while they are part of the wild world, I find them to be an unregulated element and there is no reason to leave them unchecked.

As to them being neutral or beneficial to game animals, I find that hard to believe. They have clearly been eating rabbits and turkeys where I hunt because they leave clear evidence of what they have been eating. We also have game cam images which show coyotes and bobcats attacking turkeys and rabbits - both of which I enjoy hunting.

I have seen coyotes chasing deer in Louisiana at times. Maybe they were just trotting along while performing some protective duties for their deer buddies... :hmm: :bull:

CS

I'm guilty of not shooting them while deer hunting..just don't want to spook off a deer with a shot. Never shot one and have let a lot walk. I was going to shoot one once in Fl. with my .58cal. just because he was almost as big as a German Sheppard. I thought it was a big doe when I first saw it. He didn't step into the opening so didn't shoot.

Only one I've ever shot at was behind my house here in Illinois, missed. The area is covered up with them and I have a dog that I'm afraid is going to get ate. If he does...Lord have mercy on their souls..if they got one, cause I will do some serious yote huntin.

If he does...Lord have mercy on their souls..if they got one, cause I will do some serious yote huntin.
Had a friends dog get chased onto her porch by a 'yote last summer. Luckily, she was on the porch too.......in a heavily populated area. I shoot 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoyt said:
I'm guilty of not shooting them while deer hunting..just don't want to spook off a deer with a shot. Never shot one and have let a lot walk. I was going to shoot one once in Fl. with my .58cal. just because he was almost as big as a German Sheppard. I thought it was a big doe when I first saw it. He didn't step into the opening so didn't shoot.

Only one I've ever shot at was behind my house here in Illinois, missed. The area is covered up with them and I have a dog that I'm afraid is going to get ate. If he does...Lord have mercy on their souls..if they got one, cause I will do some serious yote huntin.

Have you gotten a deer while a coyote was in the same area?

Latest posts

Back