• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wile_E__Coyote__by_Themrock.jpg

Brent, I hate to break this to you, because you've most likely been hiding somewhere, but those ambivalent anti's will go after us anyway. I hunt where there are thousands of them, and they ain't ever gonna be your friend!! :thumbsup:

Ok here is some reality. Coyotes in maine are not a native species. They are bigger than the average coyote in other parts of the US. They have decimated our deer herd to 1 deer per square mile. They do not eat the whole kill just the tasty bits. Id rather have wolves. Coyotes are on my long list of vermin. These pics were taken in the winter deer yard on my land. Of which I watch over like a hawk. I have since "fixed this problem" With a white sheet and a 5.56.
017-1.jpg

016.jpg

It's not easy to get a deer licence in Colorado. You have to get picked in the draw, and you only get it for a specific area that you apply for. We get to hunt one week for deer.

We can buy a small game licence, and hunt all year for coyote in the whole state. No restrictions at all.

There has to be a very good reason for this. :wink:

The coyotes down here are average in stature but are heavy from all the lead we feed them. :rotf:

Yep, you used to be able to leave a deer you wasn't so sure was hit good, alone and let die over night here but no more. You can bet for sure if you do it will be half eaten by the time you find it the next morning here now. Unfortunately I've seen to many just like that one in that pic.

It may have been mentioned before in this very long thread that I have not read through, but in some areas coyotes are estimated to kill 70-80% of the newborn fawn population. I can tell you on our land in Western WI that the number of deer we've seen seems to be declining in proportion to the numbers of coyotes we constantly hear and/or see. More times than not this past year I've seen does with only one fawn, or no fawn at all.

One guy told me that the most effective way to kill them, and what they supposedly do up in Northern WI, is to soak natural sponges with blood or bacon grease and set them out. I'm not advocating that, but I hope to kill some with my .270 this coming weekend with the full moon being out. Like wild hogs (thankfully we don't have that vermin here - yet) they should be killed on sight if possible.

BriR said:
One guy told me that the most effective way to kill them, and what they supposedly do up in Northern WI, is to soak natural sponges with blood or bacon grease and set them out. I'm not advocating that, but I hope to kill some with my .270 this coming weekend with the full moon being out. Like wild hogs (thankfully we don't have that vermin here - yet) they should be killed on sight if possible.

No need for that. Too complicated. :v
I found all you need is a couple decoys, good cover/concealment and hand calls that you practiced with as well as when and where to use them.
Works for me. :idunno:
IMG_6572.jpg

Shine, come on "they only eat the tasty bits." Give that deer 5-7 days it will disappear.Could weather or lack of habitat have something to do with the low population? let's not forget it's not there fault they migrated east. they did not kill all the buff out west that was a large part of there diet. they adapted and overcame like the suburban deer.they are hunter killers with keen survival skills that i respect.that been said i hunt coyote & deer.im not picking sides but there only trying to make a living with what we leave for them.

A friend sold some hides a few days ago He said a good coyote was only bringing around $12.00 :shake: Western Wv Larry

Your right it will be gone sooner or later. Ravens will get the rest. Do you have any idea how many deer I find like this. Some aren't even dead yet and they are missing the hind quarters. On one lake last month in northern maine I could count seven deer kills from where I was fishing. None of them were completly eaten. I swear they chase deer just for fun. Im a hunter killer with keen survival skills. There is nothing about a coyote thast gets any of my respect. Im sure coyotes came here because of the white man killing all the buffalo they must have been looking for buffalo here. A pack of coyotes have a hard time with a moose in deep snow. A buffalo would stomp one into a mudhole then walk it dry. As for lack of habitat, have you ever been to maine? And deer have been around for a long time they have never had a problem with winter before. Besides I keep getting told its getting warmer :bull:

That's like the problem we have here in Alabama. They were brought into Tift County Georgia back in the late 60's or early 70's because of the overpopulation of cottontails. Now, we have them once more in Alabama, they were indigenous but were hunted to extinction in the state in the early 1800's. Now, some fools have imported red wolves into the state, in the hope they will breed with the coyotes. I happened to see one of the red wolves myself about three weeks ago. How about that for enviromentalism?

Yes, lived in n.england 44 years and have spent alot of time in Maine enjoying its natural resorces. of course a healthy buff would stomp a coyote, they fed on the lame injured & dead ones. when the buff was all but extinct they expanded to the east.As far as habitat in your area I have know idea but, if its not managed with clear cuts to provide new growth and is 1000ac of evergreens theres not much nutrition there. Some deer will make it through the most difficult winters but many will not.I have respect for a predators skill to hunt kill & survive also for the prey items ability to escape & continue to breed. Coyotes are similar to many other animals,the seagull eats trash, the weak & handouts also keeps our beaches clean. Should we kill em all? house cats, play with, torment,partially eat mice ect..our pets, should we kill them all? Bald eagles..need I continue, should we kill em all? there is two sides to the coin. im not that narrow minded not to understand your points.

j.smith said:
Yes, lived in n.england 44 years and have spent alot of time in Maine enjoying its natural resorces. of course a healthy buff would stomp a coyote, they fed on the lame injured & dead ones. when the buff was all but extinct they expanded to the east.As far as habitat in your area I have know idea but, if its not managed with clear cuts to provide new growth and is 1000ac of evergreens theres not much nutrition there. Some deer will make it through the most difficult winters but many will not.I have respect for a predators skill to hunt kill & survive also for the prey items ability to escape & continue to breed. Coyotes are similar to many other animals,the seagull eats trash, the weak & handouts also keeps our beaches clean. Should we kill em all? house cats, play with, torment,partially eat mice ect..our pets, should we kill them all? Bald eagles..need I continue, should we kill em all? there is two sides to the coin. im not that narrow minded not to understand your points.

So, it's ok with you if a woman is out walking her dog on a lease for the coyote to attack and kill the dog?

It's ok with you for a coyote to attack a small child?

It's ok with you for someone to lose their livelihood, because coyotes are killing their stock?

I lived in Big Bear Ca. for 6 years. Almost every night the coyotes would jump my fence and try to get my dog. I listened to dogs being killed by coyotes almost every night. It's a sickening sound.

As long as I live i'll go out of my way to kill every coyote I see until it's illegal.

Too bad if the tree huggers don't like it.

Just remember when talking about nature and how wonderful it is, extinction is a natural part of it. When one considers 99% of all liveing things thats ever lived is now extinct, I see no reason why the Coyote can't join them.

Well, extinct is a pretty heavy word :redface: . I don't think it's a worry though, since all the shooting and trapping and poisoning we do to keep the numbers down have hardly made a dent. I think the only thing that could help would be if the fur market went back up, giving more people an incentive for harvesting them.

I remember before the market dropped, every rancher's kid, and other people with outdoor jobs, made some pretty good side money running coyote traplines. I used to see maybe one coyote in a whole week of deer hunting. Just after the market dropped (late 80's I believe), I started seeing them in packs of up to eight. They are extremely prolific, intelligent, and adaptable. I think if we could get the numbers down to where they used to be, extinction wouldn't be a consideration, as they wouldn't cause the problems they do at their current scale. Bill

We used to have a snaring program that worked well. Until animal rights groups sued the state and the ex governor stopped the program. The Passamaquoddy Idians Kept the program because they are thier own government. Now they have the population in check. It took 7 years on the res.

Swampy said:
Just remember when talking about nature and how wonderful it is, extinction is a natural part of it. When one considers 99% of all liveing things thats ever lived is now extinct, I see no reason why the Coyote can't join them.
There are too many coyotes but we still need them around to keep our booming deer population in check because hunters can't do that alone. I've read that for managing game populations no matter how many coyotes you kill more will replace them next spring. The coyotes can't wipe out the deer population completely, a disease can. And that's what can happen if the deer get overpopulated.

Latest posts

Back