• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best...Cheapest...cleaning agent I've found!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Hand said:
Kodiak13 said:
Actually I didn't state to use boiling water...just that you would have to boil up some water...
The point was - You don't need to boil water. I've used water from my canteen to clean and it worked just fine. This doesn't need to be complicated, but some people choose to make it more complicated than it really is...

By "boiling" I think he was referring to warming the water.....True! cold water will clean your gun but warm is a better solvent. If the water is too warm it can have adverse affects....

There is a time when I recommend boiling the water.

When you are outside and the temperature is below freezing....The colder it is below freezing the warmer the water should be.
Ever seen a gun freeze?...I have.. :td:

ya, up here it gets below zero on occasion and wayyyy below with wind chill. During those times I'm MUCH more likely to be found right here on the forum than outside in need of cleaning my rifle. Maybe 30 years ago,,,,,but I'm older now :grin:

Colorado Clyde said:
Black Hand said:
Kodiak13 said:
Actually I didn't state to use boiling water...just that you would have to boil up some water...
The point was - You don't need to boil water. I've used water from my canteen to clean and it worked just fine. This doesn't need to be complicated, but some people choose to make it more complicated than it really is...

By "boiling" I think he was referring to warming the water.....True! cold water will clean your gun but warm is a better solvent. If the water is too warm it can have adverse affects....

There is a time when I recommend boiling the water.

When you are outside and the temperature is below freezing....The colder it is below freezing the warmer the water should be.
Ever seen a gun freeze?...I have.. :td:

Has anyone ever used Turpentine? I read recently in a Muzzle Blast or Muzzleloader article about a guy swearing by it? I use 25% Ballistol/75% Water and it works great. The truth is the people in the 18th and 19th centuries used whatever worked best for them at the time. There was no one way to clean black powder fouling, everybody did their own thing. What do the people that shoot black powder cartridge weapons clean their firearms with? Hot soapy water? I never did when I shot BPC Shotguns. I am going to give the Windex a try just for the fun of it. I am curious if anyone has ever tried the Fully Synthetic Motor Oils as a barrel/metal protectorate and lock lube? I also want to try the Hoppes #9 Black Powder Solvent if I can ever find any. Good shooting to all! :wink:

I think people are trying to over think this.
Back in the day you used what you had, and what worked.
You couldn't afford to experiment, and risk ruin of a rifle that your life depended on, so the cheapest, most simple, and readily available form of cleaning and protecting agent is what they used, so just as a guess, I would say something like plain water and bear grease.

All folks have water, seems to be a shortage of bears in San Antonio for grease.

I used Windex as well as Windshield Washer fluid to clean with , both work good.

Like stated above, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

As for Turpentine, I read on another Forum that the BPCR Guys use it to de lead the barrel.

Put a cork in the muzzle end , stand on the muzzle end.

Fill bore with Turpentine , let stand overnight .

Next day remove cork and drain , dry and oil.

I’m told the lead from the bore will be on the cork.

I have not tried this however , maybe someone who has will chime in.

Yep a O3A3, West Virginia many years ago probably one of the coldest wettest years I ever hunted there. Cost me a nice 6 point buck.Even tried my best to keep the rifle dry.AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

I use water with some ivory soap shavings. A quart of water and 3 tablespoons of soap shavings and let it set overnight to dissolve the soap. I plug the nipple with a toothpick, pour some solution in and let it set for a few minutes, them pump a patch around, rinse with plain water, dry and oil. My barrel is always sparkly, shiny clean :grin:

Fels Naptha or Murphy's and water work well too.

Latest posts

Back