• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best...Cheapest...cleaning agent I've found!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geeez,
How bout water? Perfect solvent for black powder, AND you can drink it! AND it's free. Well almost.
Disclaimer: not suitable to drink AFTER being used to dissolve black powder.

Can't remember, too much whiskey in my H2O ?[/quote]

My Grandfather, who drank 100 proof Old Grandad neat, always said, "There's no sense starting a fire. then putting it out". Keep yer powder dry..........robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dane said:
Geeez,
How bout water? Perfect solvent for black powder, AND you can drink it! AND it's free. Well almost.

I agree fully but I'm not for sure on the disclaimer. Gonna pour a speckled drink at next shoot.

Kodiak13 said:
Windex ingredients; water, 2-hexoxyethanol, isopropanolamine, sodium do decal benzene sulfate, Laura mine oxide, ammonium hydroxide,
Ok, truth is those goofey chemicals are all referred to individually as a "surfactant".
They help water be slippery. They help release things that are stuck,,
It's a science thing with molecules an stuff, it's all about carbon, hydrogen an oxygen an all.
Windex is fun because it has ammonia which is base, a lower ph then h2o.

Water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap kind of does the same thing. The Dawn helps make water slippery. The surfactants bind to the non-water particles the solution contacts
Dawn has "alky" components that are also base,, like found here; https://www.pg.com/productsafety/sds/SDS_2016/Ultra_Dawn_Original.pdf

So, anyways,, soapy water works too. I've been able to clean my guns "with no ill effects on all metal parts!" with free water and a little dish soap for nearly 30yrs.
I save my expensive Windex for windows.

Want free soap? Look up making lye,, then lye soap.

Colorado Clyde said:
Loyalist Dave said:
One should never drink used water. Regardless what it was used for

au contraire mon frère :nono:

One of the BEST ways to consume used water is after it has been used to brew and ferment, ale!

LD

X2... :thumbsup:

Old Irish joke, Pat was dying and asked Sean to poor A pony of stout on his grave. “ that I promise you Patty my boy, only if ya don’t mind I will be drinkin’ it first ya see”

necchi said:
Kodiak13 said:
Windex ingredients; water, 2-hexoxyethanol, isopropanolamine, sodium do decal benzene sulfate, Laura mine oxide, ammonium hydroxide,
Ok, truth is those goofey chemicals are all referred to individually as a "surfactant".
They help water be slippery. They help release things that are stuck,,
It's a science thing with molecules an stuff, it's all about carbon, hydrogen an oxygen an all.
Windex is fun because it has ammonia which is base, a lower ph then h2o.

Water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap kind of does the same thing. The Dawn helps make water slippery. The surfactants bind to the non-water particles the solution contacts
Dawn has "alky" components that are also base,, like found here; https://www.pg.com/productsafety/sds/SDS_2016/Ultra_Dawn_Original.pdf

So, anyways,, soapy water works too. I've been able to clean my guns "with no ill effects on all metal parts!" with free water and a little dish soap for nearly 30yrs.
I save my expensive Windex for windows.

Want free soap? Look up making lye,, then lye soap.
Water with a drop of Dawn soap still needs to be flushed out with fresh non soapy water...This adds one additional step I don't need to do when using Windex!

Kodiak13 said:
Water with a drop of Dawn soap still needs to be flushed out with fresh non soapy water...

And that takes all of 20 seconds to fill the barrel and dump it out...?

A point well taken. I am surprise when I hear all this talk on what a pain it is to clean our rifles and pistols after shooting. To me its just part of the sport. I find it relaxing after a day of shooting. I put in some old CD country tapes, pop a beer, and clean my guns and refill the shooting bags. Very relaxing for me. Oh, and I use just plain hot water and dish soap and then oil then up. Has work fine for me.

juice jaws said:
A point well taken. I am surprise when I hear all this talk on what a pain it is to clean our rifles and pistols after shooting. To me its just part of the sport. I find it relaxing after a day of shooting. I put in some old CD country tapes, pop a beer, and clean my guns and refill the shooting bags. Very relaxing for me. Oh, and I use just plain hot water and dish soap and then oil then up. Has work fine for me.
Bingo!

Dane said:
Geeez,

I'm glad you made that clear!! :doh: :doh:

Dawn seems to have formulation different than other similar products on the market. I'm going to start using it but will swab well then rinse.
BTW, despite many 'expert' claims that water is all that is needed, I disagree. Yes, take the formula for bp and it's theoretical residue and water should do the job. But, the charcoal and other components of bp are not pharmaceutical grade and contain impurities that do not clean well with just water.

juice jaws said:

That’s the truth. After a time shooting I go in to the back yard to clean or spread out a canvas in the house if it’s too chilly. And clean. I handle the gun, I look over it’s little parts, I rub oil in to the stock. It’s just a part of the whole day. When on a trek and I’ve shot on or in a camp it’s fun to handle the tow and and tin oil bottle, and waxed cloth.
There is nothing good about historic arms except the beauty that flows in the shape and the marriage of wood and metals, and how much fun they are to play with.

Rifleman1776 said:
...contain impurities that do not clean well with just water.
Then I guess I've been doing it all wrong...
I don't always use dishsoap and yet my guns clean without issue.

Cruzatte said:
juice jaws said:
Bingo!

Used to be the cleaning session was part of my love of the sport, both this and the unmentionables. These days I find I have to be in the right mood to truly enjoy it, but I still have a passably enjoyable time cleaning up after a range session even when I not in the mood. Besides, my ML is easier to clean than any of my unmentionables if I'm doing it right.

Latest posts

Back