• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best...Cheapest...cleaning agent I've found!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we really believe that traditionally, these guns were cleaned with windex, dish soap, moose milk, or any other product we use today?
It was water, and some preservative after to prevent rust.
Bear grease, etc.
This is NOT rocket science. They are old ways, and they still work.

This has been a hoot fellows...and to each his own...but for me I like the one step use of windex! Nothing breaks down carbon like windex and is a simple one step process that quickly evaporates after use. But for all you old diehards. ...While your boiling water and mixing up some soapy water and washng and rinsing your barrel & lock...I'll be dancing and carousing with the damsels! LOL

Kodiak13 said:
While your boiling water...
Nope - boiling water can cause flash rust. Cold or warm water right from the tap...

Kodiak13 said:
...mixing up some soapy water...
A couple of drops in the muzzle and fill with water, invert, allow to soak and dump. Not very complicated...

Kodiak13 said:
...washing and rinsing your barrel & lock...
Not different from any other cleaning regimen...

I got into this to do things the way they were done 200 or so years ago. If I wanted modern gizmos and magical cleaning potions, I'd shoot a centerfire...

I use warm or cold, never boiling. Most of the time no soap, or just a few drops or a sliver of lye soap as the mood strikes me. I doubt that one could save more then a few minutes with windex.
Shoot-clean-oil- adult beverage- recall the good shots- forget the bad. This may be the meaning of life :haha:

Been using boiling water and nothing else to clean my muzzleloaders for 40 years ”” no rust ”” followed by dry patches and then a non-petroleum oil. I used Bore Butter for 38-plus years, now I use Slip2000 black powder lube. Really like it. Then I run a patch down them again a day or two later after cleaning just to make sure. Inside bores shine just like new.

SgtMaj said:
Been using boiling water and nothing else to clean my muzzleloaders for 40 years ”” no rust ”” followed by dry patches and then a non-petroleum oil. I used Bore Butter for 38-plus years, now I use Slip2000 black powder lube. Really like it. Then I run a patch down them again a day or two later after cleaning just to make sure. Inside bores shine just like new.

Back in the day before modern time people use Water, it still works.

You have it right clean until the barrel sparkles like a new barrel.

Black Powder residue is highly corrosive, if proper cleaning is not done the rust monster will destroy your barrel.

Chemically speaking, Jojoba oil is the most similar to Whale oil (from what I've read).

Yeah, I've read that too.
But having never been able to try real whale oil to care for my guns,, and having been able to care for my guns without whale oil without issue for decades,, I'll probably never bother trying to find synthetic whale oil or a replacement for it at all
:idunno:

I use Bear grease and oil for shooting & maintenance - I've seen no need to use anything else.

Early (pre-1990ish) Automatic transmissions were notoriously unreliable. Doesn't endorse ATF for me.

I sticking with my tried and true rule of never using Automotive products on a muzzleloader....Heck I'd probably recommend gun store snake oil first.

Black Hand said:
Kodiak13 said:
While your boiling water...
Nope - boiling water can cause flash rust. Cold or warm water right from the tap...

Kodiak13 said:
...mixing up some soapy water...
A couple of drops in the muzzle and fill with water, invert, allow to soak and dump. Not very complicated...

Kodiak13 said:
...washing and rinsing your barrel & lock...
Not different from any other cleaning regimen...

I got into this to do things the way they were done 200 or so years ago. If I wanted modern gizmos and magical cleaning potions, I'd shoot a centerfire...

Actually I didn't state to use boiling water...just that you would have to boil up some water...cause I don't recall frontier men getting hot water from their tap...come to think of it they didn't even have a tap!

Thanks for replying. I tried some synthetic sperm whale in the early 90's, did not work for me. I have recently tried jojoba in a .40 I can't get to shoot a group and it works ok.

Michael

Kodiak13 said:
Actually I didn't state to use boiling water...just that you would have to boil up some water...
The point was - You don't need to boil water. I've used water from my canteen to clean and it worked just fine. This doesn't need to be complicated, but some people choose to make it more complicated than it really is...

Latest posts

Back