• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Went back to water - cleaning woes and foes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For quite a while I've been avoiding straight water cleaning of my ML's including shotguns, rifles and handguns. I've used an electronic spray cleaner through the nipple hole and some concoction, usually windex w/o ammonia, alcohol, murphy's oil soap and some slight variations. I know there's some water in each of these ingredients which is what I mean by avoiding "straight water". Cleaning with this mix takes between 8 and 12 patches to get some semblance of clean - or still mostly white patches. That's not including an oiled patch afterwards. This worked fine for years. I think I got the idea from Dutch's method and just stuck to it.

Due to circumstances on some travel adventures, I did not have or could not get all ingredients for cleaning mixture. So, I went back to boiled water pumped up and down through the barrel with the nipples in the water and a patch on a jag in the muzzle. First, I just started doing the shotguns. Then I cleaned some of the rifles this way too. Today I did some shooting and cleaned some rifles and shotguns. One patch pumping the boiling water. One dry patch up and down. One with 91% alcohol as a drying agent and to evaporate remaining moisture. One patch with oil. Just 4 patches total, the 3rd in sequence coming out clean (mostly white).

I haven't seen any rust or issues since I switched back to boiling water. For my guns that have a fixed barrel, one that cannot be easily removed, I am inclined to continue cleaning with the "concoction" because I don't want water all in the stock, and I can control the cleaning mix on the patches better. But other than those few, I think I'm sticking to the water for ease and efficiency. If its clean, lubed and rust free I don't care how it got there.
if you get the barrel hot enough with the water that it's almost uncomfortable to hold you don't need the alcohol also I've found if I use a oiled patch I have to clean the barrel after the second or third shot oil and black powder don't mix well

My cleaning solution is water and a little Dawn Dishwashing Soap, it costs pennies to make a gallon of it. I have been doing this for a long times and have tried all kinds of magic cleaning products never found anything that worked better. I will say from my experience I will never put anything containing Hydrogen Peroxide in the barrel of any gun I own ever again. I do wipe between every shot with a slightly damp patch of the cleaning solution. at the end of the day for my flintlocks I plug the touchhole with a tooth pick pour some of the cleaning in the barrel swish it around to coat the barrel and let it sit while I clean the lock. Then dump the solution out of the barrel then use wet patches. 4 or 5 patches later I have a clean patch.
For a percussion I have a nipple I drilled out attach a rubber tube to it stick it in a container of the cleaning solution and start pumping. couple patches and I have a clean patch.
It works for me

In my classes I teach shooters to keep it simple. Hot water and a little dish detergent is all that is needed on all parts. Thoroughly dry and oil. Next day disassemble, wipe dry (looking for dirt missed) and re-oil. Don't waste money on fancy solvents that may or may not work. But there is always that one guy, who is a mechanic (or shot for years) and always recommends some fancy new high speed, low drag expensive cleaner / degreaser that will take off the finish off anything you spray it on!
1710950224286.png

I have always used hot, soapy water to clean all parts of the firearm and a boiling water rinse. On the long arms, I use tongs with silicone and a brass funnel to facilitate the pouring of the boiling rinse down the barrel. On the revolvers, I use a pot of boiling water with a colander strainer to hold the parts while rinsing for at least several minutes. The metal gets so hot that the moisture quickly evaporates. On the warm metal, I brush on Ballistol to protect the arm from the elements. I've got special screwdrivers and nipple wrenches to help along the way. This method was taught to me by wise black powder men, who have passed on, and by their past generations. The one important issue that they all stressed was, do not get lazy in maintaining your arm. In my opinion, this is the best way and the cheapest way to keep your friend in pristine condition.

You don't really need BOILING WATER

For quite a while I've been avoiding straight water cleaning of my ML's including shotguns, rifles and handguns. I've used an electronic spray cleaner through the nipple hole and some concoction, usually windex w/o ammonia, alcohol, murphy's oil soap and some slight variations. I know there's some water in each of these ingredients which is what I mean by avoiding "straight water". Cleaning with this mix takes between 8 and 12 patches to get some semblance of clean - or still mostly white patches. That's not including an oiled patch afterwards. This worked fine for years. I think I got the idea from Dutch's method and just stuck to it.

Due to circumstances on some travel adventures, I did not have or could not get all ingredients for cleaning mixture. So, I went back to boiled water pumped up and down through the barrel with the nipples in the water and a patch on a jag in the muzzle. First, I just started doing the shotguns. Then I cleaned some of the rifles this way too. Today I did some shooting and cleaned some rifles and shotguns. One patch pumping the boiling water. One dry patch up and down. One with 91% alcohol as a drying agent and to evaporate remaining moisture. One patch with oil. Just 4 patches total, the 3rd in sequence coming out clean (mostly white).

I haven't seen any rust or issues since I switched back to boiling water. For my guns that have a fixed barrel, one that cannot be easily removed, I am inclined to continue cleaning with the "concoction" because I don't want water all in the stock, and I can control the cleaning mix on the patches better. But other than those few, I think I'm sticking to the water for ease and efficiency. If its clean, lubed and rust free I don't care how it got there.
Water is good. Even cold.

I have always used hot, soapy water to clean all parts of the firearm and a boiling water rinse. On the long arms, I use tongs with silicone and a brass funnel to facilitate the pouring of the boiling rinse down the barrel. On the revolvers, I use a pot of boiling water with a colander strainer to hold the parts while rinsing for at least several minutes. The metal gets so hot that the moisture quickly evaporates. On the warm metal, I brush on Ballistol to protect the arm from the elements. I've got special screwdrivers and nipple wrenches to help along the way. This method was taught to me by wise black powder men, who have passed on, and by their past generations. The one important issue that they all stressed was, do not get lazy in maintaining your arm. In my opinion, this is the best way and the cheapest way to keep your friend in pristine condition.
I do the same, can’t beat hot water and soap.

So much over thinking, so much over prepping. I too used to make a chore out of cleaning, I too hated getting water on my stock, under the barrel, into to trigger assembly; tried all the 'hoses' and pumping water up and down with a tight patch (even did a hillbilly comedy skit about it).

Got so tired of making an easy task difficult and messy, got tired of being told "Not On The Dinner Table! TAKE THAT OUTSIDE!!"

Now I just K.I.S.S. it.
No hot water, yes I use a store bought cleaner, less then a dozen patches, a few Q-tips - Done.
No mess, no fuss, never had rust, barrel looks like new.

Latest posts

Back