• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bean Dishes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, that's why we Texicans buy so many "Chili sets", i.e., little trays with 2 bowls.
(One for chili & one of pinto or black beans, with room for cornbread & butter.)

Btw, we Northeast Texicans (I'm from Camp County) eat so many beans/peas that one of the inside jokes about "us hillbillies, from way up there" is that if you stick a knife into a NE Texican that pea & bean juice, rather than blood, will flow from the wound.
(We also put a great deal of pasta & rice into our traditional foods to STRETCH it. = My lady often laughs at me & says, "You don't have to cook like it's 1935, as we can afford to cook without all that rice & spaghetti in everything.")

yours, satx

Susan W. Wiley-Shepherd, PhD, used to call the things that are now often called, "comfort food", "cradle food", as our mothers/grandmothers/aunts cooked the dishes for us when we were "little" & that as adults we still crave.
(In my case it was my governess, who was born in 1919 & was a young woman during The Great Depression, who cooked me those "old southern poor folks foods", that I still love to fix/eat.)

"Sister" used to fix me an "old school" dish from her rural MS childhood called, "chicken & slickers", with a side of speckled butter-beans & cornbread.
(Slickers are flat dumplings made from flour. salt, pepper & lard, that are dropped into boiling chicken broth & simmered until they're done.)
Also, she often fixed me "drop biscuits", made with buttermilk, that were so light that a strong breeze might blow them off the plate.
(She saw to it that I wasn't hungry after school, either with all sorts of "homemade goodies", like thick meatloaf sandwiches on leftover buttered biscuits, with a bowl of navy bean/neckbone soup, to drive away the NE TX cold.)

yours, satx

Refried Beans/Buritos
Makes 6-8 burritos
1/2 cup dry pinto beans (sorted and washed) (grown in my garden)
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder ( not from China)
2 tablespoons oil (olive from Italy)

cover beans and simmer for 1 hour.
add salt garlic powder and oil, simmer for another 1-1.5 hour until beans are soft and begin to stick. (Do not burn) (sticking is optional but water level should be below the beans)
Remove from heat and mash
Spoon refried beans onto a flour tortilla and add cheese, onions and hotsauce, fold up like a burito and freeze.....Reheat in microvave for a quick meal.
enjoy!

Here's my clone recipe for Campbell's bean soup.

Bean Soup
Vegetarian/Campbell's type
Colorado Clyde's Recipe

1 large onion chopped and sautéed in stockpot
2 cans of vegetable broth and 1 can of water
1 cup dry navy beans cooked for 2 hours minimum. (cook separately)
2 heaping spoonful's of refried beans (homemade for my burritos, more may be better)
1 can off brand tomato soup (name brand and slightly less may be better)
1 large carrot diced small
18 + drops of liquid smoke (add late and to taste) (smoke flavor dissipates over time.....best to add late)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. sugar
pepper to taste
3 oz. corn starch slurry
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1 vegetable bullion cube.
Once beans are cooked, cook everything together for at least 1 hour.
Notes:
Very good soup, similar in taste to Campbell's bean soup. might substitute 1 can of vegetable broth for beef or chicken broth... Should be better the next day, adjust flavors to taste. Might try removing and blending a small portion of the soup and adding it back to thicken next time...

ARDILLA DE FRIJOLE
Squirrel from [a] Bean

You will need:
one dried lima bean
a wrist rocket, sling shot
A skinning knife
a hot fire with a grill

Havest a squirrel with the dried lima bean launched from the wrist rocket. (perhaps the only way to use a lima bean, which otherwise are NOT edible)
Dress, clean and skin the harvested squirrel with the skinning knife
Broil the squirrel over the fire on a low heat to cook through but not burn the squirrel.

LD

1 lbs navy beans soaked
1/2 lbs bacon chopped
1 med onion diced
1 head of garlic chopped
Salt and pepper,
Cook until soft then cool and refridge over night
Smash and fry in hamburger shaped patties similar to refried beans.
Serve on hard crust sour dough bread with slice of red onion

Cooked these up for lunch.

one med onion and two red peppers fried up.
Added Precooked Great White North beans.
Topped with curry mushroom sauce I made.
Fried up and simmered.

kTFX4AB.jpg

More beans for this cold weather.

Great Northern Beans and Chickpea Soup
Did a pot of beans yesterday, was awesome :)

-GNB
-Chickpeas
-Potato mashed to thicken soup (one)
-Onions
-Brown Mushrooms
-Ghost pepper med size
-Orange Habanero two
-Smoked paprika
-Chicken stock
-Whey liquid (leftover from my cheese making) add a bit of cream/milk if you want.

Beans and Chickpeas from dried, once hydrated add to PC and cook 15 min max, cook all for 45min in pot and leave potato near the end and cook another 15 min once mashed and added.

S4AzikU.jpg
WITD2Wd.jpg

Colorado Clyde said:
Refried Beans/Buritos
Makes 6-8 burritos
1/2 cup dry pinto beans (sorted and washed) (grown in my garden)
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder ( not from China)
2 tablespoons oil (olive from Italy)
Hey Clyde! Why don't you try it with black beans?
And for desert, black bean brownies. Don't knock em till you try em.

My daughter made some black bean brownies and they were quite good. I'm not sure what all was in them, but is wasn't just black beans. They tasted like rich, earthy chocolate.

One pod at a time.. Pinch and slide a fingernail along the spine..
I tried faster methods, of beating and whipping but then you have to winnow and still miss some beans...I find doing it by hand works. I spread the beans out on tables and blow fan across for days to make sure they are dry enough.

Latest posts

Back