• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bean Dishes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in first through third grades, my parent grew some kind of beans in the garden. They were mostly white with little red speckles/ blotches on them. My daily task in October was to shell a quart or so everyday after school. Odd but I can't even remember my mother using them in anything, although I am sure she did. I grew some northern style beans one year. Too much trouble, when they are cheap in the grocery store.

I got a four pound bag of navy beans and a a half dozen ham bones in the freezer, and a big 30 gallon black cast iron butcher kettle. I need to make a tripod and make some soup.

colorado clyde said:
Which U.S. states are the top producers of dry beans?

1. North Dakota 32%
2. Michigan 17%
3. Nebraska 11%
4. Minnesota 9%
5. Idaho 8%
6. Colorado 5%
7. California 5%
8. Washington 4%

..........Your welcome.... :grin:

I knew my state was one of them, but North Dakota???.......That's amazing, as their state tree is a telephone pole!!
:blah: :blah: :blah:

As many recipe books as I have gone through I can tell you one thing for sure.......Only one state in the union has a problem with beans in chili.... :haha:

colorado clyde said:
As many recipe books as I have gone through I can tell you one thing for sure.......Only one state in the union has a problem with beans in chili.... :haha:
And we'll even let you do it with only a moderate amount of stares and comments! Besides, they taste better cooked separately than in chili. Of course, beans means reds or pinto down here. Yes, we heard of all the others but well, you know! :wink: :haha: :rotf:

And that ONE State is the ORIGINATOR & EXPERT on REAL chili.

Further, we know that pasta, rice, mayonnaise, tomato paste, catsup, chocolate, instant coffee powder & even whipped cream have NO place in chili.

Truthfully, we don't much care if YOU mess up our State's official dish but just don't ask us to approve OR eat the slop that others make.

yours, satx

Well, we do call these bread dough meat and cheese platter pizza, whole bunches of fried bread pan pardue- French toast, wheat based flat bread tortillas, they have made god knows how many types of sushi, California has its own roll.
For sure I know beans don't go in chili, no no not ever. Chili ain't bean soup..... I know that for sure, until I make a pot of chili for my wife:
Beans in the chili :redface:
Tomatos in the chili :redface: :redface:
Served on macaroni :redface: :redface: :redface: may God in heaven forgive me :wink:

satx78247 said:
Truthfully, we don't much care if YOU mess up our State's official dish but just don't ask us to approve OR eat the slop that others make.

yours, satx

Even if we call it goulash....or maybe, Non-Texas chili type food stuff...

Truthfully, I just don't understand your aversion to eating good food.... despite what it's called.... :idunno:

tenngun said:
...wife:
Beans in the chili :redface:
Tomatos in the chili :redface: :redface:
Served on macaroni :redface: :redface: :redface: may God in heaven forgive me :wink:
I left in the all essential, most important word just before what goes in part! The Mrs. can dictate our habits, God love them. Mine was from Iowa and what they call chili is not even goulash. I had to alter all recipes for her...her system couldn't tolerate spice. Loved the dickens out of her and made two each time! :wink: :haha:

IF it was "good food" by any name, it wouldn't be a problem. = MOST of the so-called "chili" that's made by "outsiders" is nearly inedible.
(NM chili being the exception that proves the rule.)

Most traditional Texicans wouldn't care if you called it a "somewhat chili-like soup" or goulash made with pasta, rice, mayonnaise, chocolate, catsup, tomato paste or ????

yours, satx

After having read all of the recipes and comments on beans, I just had to have some for my supper. It was almost noon and too late to soak the beans and cook them in the usual manner for supper that night. So, I did something that I have never done....I cooked them in a pressure cooker and they turned out quite nicely.

My recipe was to put 1 lb. picked and washed pinto beans in a pot. Cover them with 8 cups chicken broth. Add one chopped onion, garlic powder, Lowrey's salt and black pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes. Then cover and let sit for about 3 to 4 hours. Put all in a pressure cooker and bring up to pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Let the pressure cooker cool naturally until the pressure is off. Meanwhile, chop up one onion for garnish, cook rice separately, bake some cornbread. When all is done, put some rice in a bowl, top with some beans and garnish the beans with chopped onion, butter a piece of warm cornbread and enjoy a feast fit for the gods. Yeah, it was good! :thumbsup:

Just made the fish made the Italian way that was on Townsend vid last week. It was fish cooked in a pastry dough. What made it Italian? It was made with olive oil in the dough. I guess my chili is Italian then since I brown my meat and onions in olive oil :wink:

Well seasoned meat, beans, and tomatoes served with macaroni sounds fine with me; no matter what you call it.

We used to make stuff like that, but called it cargada.

Back