• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btech

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old Zoli Zouave 58 cal rifled musket. The barrel and hardware are in good shape and it shoots fine. I have refinished all the hardware and tried my best to make the birch stock look walnut, but it still isn't quite there. Found a true walnut stock at S&S Firearms but they want $275. Can't decide if it's worth it to invest in the stock. I paid about $300 for the rifle.

Zouave.jpg

If you get the stock what is gonna happen is you will look at that empty birch stock and come to the conclusion you need a barrel and furniture for it, the you will have 2 Zouave in your safe.

....and not only what Cynthialee said but Birch isn't a bad stock wood by any stretch of the imagination. Birch usually doesn't have the figure and color but can take stain enough to look almost original.

A lot of TOW walnut stain and even more work to get it looking that way.

I did a little reshaping when I sanded the old finish off. It wasn't shaped very well from the factory.

Doesn't look bad to me. Maybe if it isn't right yet then you could keep at it. Another option may be to sell the stock on ebay to recoup the money for the new one. I think I have $275 in my pedersoli, wouldn't want to have $550 in it myself. Right now if I get tired of it I can sell it to someone and give them a reasonable deal. If I put that much in it and didn't want it I'd have to take a loss on in because I don't believe in ripping folks off.
Have a good one.

Looks FINE to me.

I have a Zouave from 1961 that has taken MANY a hog and several WT over the years BUT I wouldn't want to put any more $$$ into it.

yours, satx

Occasionally, a gun has some attributes that are similar to a home. Sometimes, you can put more into remodeling and adding to your home until it is worth more than you can sell it for. I have known people who have done this. But, in one case, they didn't care if they had more in the home than they could sell it for because they did not plan to ever move. Their idea was that they would stay there for the rest of their lives so selling it was not part of the equation. A gun can be like that. If you think you will ever be interested in selling it, do not put more into it than you can ever sell it for. On the other hand, if that gun is a part of your permanent collection then it makes no difference what you spend on it to get it the way you want it and they way that makes you happy.

S&S is a great place. Of course it's insane to spend that on replacing a perfectly good (although is it me too? I think something is mishaped at the butt -- it can't have been shortened!?) stock on a repro. Accept it or sell it would be my suggestion.

My repro's butt for comparison...

Does anyone know if the Pedersoli model has an actual walnut stock? It doesn't say on their website. Everybody else uses birch of some other wood.
I don't think my stock has been shortened, I just don't think it was ever shaped right to begin with from the factory.

The Pedersoli and ArmiSport are both walnut, although it is some sort of European walnut not black walnut like the originals. I have an older Zoli sold by Sears that is beech, although Zoli also used walnut, I guess depending on the retailers order.

All the Armi, Zoli an even old Sears models I see on line are all birch stocks. There are plenty used ones out there but none have any type of walnut stock.

I think my Zoli has a Walnut stock. Haven't looked at it for years. Prob will forget to check the next time I dig into it. :redface: Larry

This is my .54 Euroarms US M1841 Ms rifle that replaces my long ago Zouave. They have very similar lines. This stock is also European walnut.

Latest posts

Back