• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103
Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am quite new to the world of antique firearms but have always wanted a Committee of Safety musket. I came across this one and I'd greatly appreciate any information you may be able to provide about it. The description is as follows:
Revolutionary War “Committee of Safety” .70 Cal. Approx. Flintlock Musket, 39 3/8” British Proof marked bbl., U.S. Eagle marked lock, Full Stock, Walnut appears to be a “W” stamped on left side of stock – functions

Attachments

• Musket 1.PNG
    Musket 1.PNG
    438.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Musket 8.PNG
    Musket 8.PNG
    648.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Musket 7.PNG
    Musket 7.PNG
    312.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Musket 6.PNG
    Musket 6.PNG
    494.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Musket 5.PNG
    Musket 5.PNG
    438 KB · Views: 0
  • Musket 4.PNG
    Musket 4.PNG
    133.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Musket 3.PNG
    Musket 3.PNG
    524.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Musket 2.PNG
    Musket 2.PNG
    658.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry to say, that is NOT a Committee of Safety musket by any means. That is a India Pattern, 3rd Model Brown Bess, which puts it past the American War of Independence, and likely post 1800. The eagle marked lock may mean it was reworked after being captured by the US during the War of 1812.

Committee of Safety muskets were more often a conglomeration of parts, often used, to create a musket in a short period of time due to high demand. Sometimes the parts were locally made, and would be done so in the quickest manner, and often lower expense. So you see what looks like a Brown Bess but the lock plate is flat, not rounded, or you find an octagon to round barrel on a musket that should have a full round barrel. They tend to be knock-offs of the Brown Bess, but not always...

Here's a CoS "Bess" with a Germanic Lock

COS Musket German lock.jpg

Here is a CoS musket with Dublin Castle marked lock, but is flat, and isn't on a Bess but on a French style banded musket

COS Musket Dublin Lock.jpg

LD

Agreed with above, if you purchased it as a COS musket, you better get your money back. Sorry.

Sorry to say, that is NOT a Committee of Safety musket by any means. That is a India Pattern, 3rd Model Brown Bess, which puts it past the American War of Independence, and likely post 1800. The eagle marked lock may mean it was reworked after being captured by the US during the War of 1812.

Committee of Safety muskets were more often a conglomeration of parts, often used, to create a musket in a short period of time due to high demand. Sometimes the parts were locally made, and would be done so in the quickest manner, and often lower expense. So you see what looks like a Brown Bess but the lock plate is flat, not rounded, or you find an octagon to round barrel on a musket that should have a full round barrel. They tend to be knock-offs of the Brown Bess, but not always...

View attachment 295676

Here is a CoS musket with Dublin Castle marked lock, but is flat, and isn't on a Bess but on a French style banded musket

View attachment 295679

LD

Agree with Dave, third model bess.

I’ve viewed many US surcharged committiee of safety muskets.

Most are not specifically a certain pattern but as Dave said a compilation of parts that were available.

Most are designed to emulate that of the Brown Bess, however there are many also designed with barrel bands from French, and Dutch Muskets.

The best way in my opinion to do a COS musket is too keep it neutral of any markings, other than a US surcharge on the side Lock panel or butt plate tang. Meaning, taking a miroku or pedersoli or Indian made musket and removing the markings.

Below is a Dutch lock found on English contract muskets.

Note it has no markings on the plate.

I stamped this Indian 1728 lock with a US surcharge stamp.

Attachments

• IMG_1857.jpeg
    IMG_1857.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

View attachment 295676

View attachment 295679

LD
Thank you so much for your reply and all the valuable information. Even with my very limited knowledge I had serious doubts that this was a Cos. The proof mark looks like Birmingham post 1813 and I just couldn’t place the eagle in the correct time period either.

The price seemed waaaay too low for what it claimed to be. I need to buy a few books and do some serious research before I make a purchase. Thanks again.

Agreed with above, if you purchased it as a COS musket, you better get your money back. Sorry.
Thank you for your reply. Luckily I found this forum and posted before I purchased it. This “COS” example was priced pretty low so I should’ve known better. I’ve got some serious research to do (and will definitely be posting on this forum) before moving forward with a purchase in the future. Thanks again.

Agree with Dave, third model bess.

I’ve viewed many US surcharged committiee of safety muskets.

Most are not specifically a certain pattern but as Dave said a compilation of parts that were available.

Most are designed to emulate that of the Brown Bess, however there are many also designed with barrel bands from French, and Dutch Muskets.

The best way in my opinion to do a COS musket is too keep it neutral of any markings, other than a US surcharge on the side Lock panel or butt plate tang. Meaning, taking a miroku or pedersoli or Indian made musket and removing the markings.

Below is a Dutch lock found on English contract muskets.

Note it has no markings on the plate.

I stamped this Indian 1728 lock with a US surcharge stamp.
Thank you for your reply. Again, with my very limited knowledge, what photos I could find of a Brown Bess, all the parts did seem British to me. Should've been a dead giveaway. I really don’t know what I’m looking at yet so i just had my suspicions and gut to go with. Luckily I found this forum and saved myself some frustration and money.

Building/altering one of these guys is way out of my league but your example is beautiful. Thanks again.

Not being familiar with the term, what does committee of safety actually mean as far as guns go?
A committee of Safety musket is one originally authorized to be manufactured by state and local Committees of Safety prior to and during the American Revolution. Some were made by local gunsmiths, some by state sanctioned armories, and some were a mixture of existing parts. They take many shapes, sizes and calibers and can be a challenge at times to identify. Many were unmarked or little marked to avoid prosecution of the gun maker should the British win the war.

Latest posts

Back