• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave rifle barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman247

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, well I recently got a really great deal on a Navy Arms Zouave, or so I thought. (Was a great price though.) Anyway upon arrival of the rifle my initial inspection was "great, the bore is in great shape!" After removing the barrel for inspection and a good cleaning it showed its ugly face! The bolster area by the tang and all around the underside of bolster, a fractured breech; also appears to be about a 2" fracture running towards the muzzle. Of course none of this was visible before removing the barrel. So anyway, other than placing an ad here looking for a barrel, which I did, where can I find a replacement barrel; any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Part the gun and buy another. Actually, I saw a barrel on the giant on-line anti-gun auction a couple months ago.

First thought: will the seller stand behind it? Second thought: it's probably a parts gun, not worth spending a lot on. Third thought: If you want to replace the barrel why not get a GOOD one. Both Bobby Hoyt and Dan Whiatcer make excelent shooting replacements.

I agree w/ hawkeye2. But I would send the the barrel to either one of them. Are you sure its a fracture or a milling line. I had one that I thought was fractured, Gave it to Bobby Hoyt turned out it was a milling line.

"Fracture" seems unlikely, those barrels are really heavy at the breech, possible I guess but not likely. For a quick check just pour half a cup of gasoline or Colman fuel down the muzzle with the nipple plugged and see if it appears to seep out from the cracks.

59sharps said:
I agree w/ hawkeye2. But I would send the the barrel to either one of them. Are you sure its a fracture or a milling line. I had one that I thought was fractured, Gave it to Bobby Hoyt turned out it was a milling line.

My thoughts exactly, Thats why I asked for a photo. I had a Armi sport 1861 Springfield and what I thought looked like a crack at the bottom of the breech was a mark from the forgeing process

All good answers and responses; Hoyt was my initial thought as well. Hoping I might find a good used one to slap in though. I agree they definitely are heavy walled in that area, but upon inspection with a magnifying glass you can certainly see the "crack", especially under the bolster. Too jagged to be milling marks. Sorry, no pics. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back