• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave front sights loose

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbide

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The front sights on my Zouave are loose and want to flip up or down when you don't want them to do it. What are some ways to tighten then up with out causing damage to them? Jim in SE Iowa

I'm assuming we are talking about the "front" sight of your Rear sight?
I don't know who built your Zouave so your gun may be different .
My ARMI JAGER uses a roll pin to hold the sight leaves in place
and after giving it a good look at it appears that the sight leaves are like small hinges with the forward (long range) sight hinge loops adjacent to the fixed body. The mid range/short range loop is in the middle.

If you drive out the roll pin and remove the sight leaves, it may be possible to lightly compress or squeeze the loops on the sight blades to make them fit a little tighter on the roll pin.

It also may be easy to squeeze the loops down so much they won't allow the roll pin to reassemble.
So, :results:

I guess I better fill in the blank about the sight. Yes it is the back leaf sight. The rifle was made by Zoli- C.Gardone. The leafs are held in with a screw. I don't see any worn metal on the parts. What do you think? Jim SE Iowa

More thoughts on your sight.

First off, remember, "there are no dumb ideas". At least that's what they say in the meetings where I work right before someone comes up with a dumb idea.

Anyway, If the screw goes thru small hinge loops, the idea of slightly (very slightly) squeezing one of them closed with something like a pair of locking pliers, still might work.
The idea here is to make the inside diameter of the hinge a very slight interference fit with the screw shank going thru it. If you squeeze the loop closed too much, you won't be able to reassemble the sight.

Ready for another dumb idea? This idea also is for designs with the screw going thru the hinge loops on the sight leaves.
You would remove the screw and sight leaves. Apply a little amount of Silicone Rubber (like bathtub calk) to the inside of the hinge loops with a toothpick. Be sure to apply enough to thoroughly wet the inside surfaces of the loops. Also apply a wet coat of Silicone Rubber to the outside of the screw body where the sight loops will be. Reassemble the sight. The idea is to have the slip fit joint surfaces coated with wet adhesive.
Let the Silicone Rubber cure overnight.
The next day, move both leaves to break the bond between the rubber and the metal. This might take the use of a screw driver or some other prying tool, but it should break loose fairly easily.
This (in theory) will leave the cured but now unbonded rubber in the joint which will permit you to move the sights from the down position to the up position using just a little force. They should (in theory) stay where you leave them unless they are pushed to the other position.
An advantage of this "rubber idea" over the "squeeze the hinge loop closed" theory is there is nothing you are doing that can actually break the metal or make it impossible to reassemble the sight. The Silicone Rubber also won't keep you from disassembling the sight if you want to.
NOTE: This idea relies on the fact that Silicone Rubber has a very low shear strength.
DO NOT USE EPOXY or some other strong adhesive. If you do, you will not be able to move the sight leaves ever without applying a LOT of heat and force.

If the design is something other than the "pin or screw thru the hinge loop" style, I would have to see what its design is before making any more dumb? suggestions. :shocking:

I will try the silicone caulking and see if it causes some drag on the leafs. as they are right now they will fall forward or back as you put the gun up or lower it. Thanks for the idea! Jim in SE Iowa :D

Latest posts

Back