• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose Hammer on Percussion rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briantllb

32 Cal
Reaction score
The hammer on my percussion rifle is loose on the tumbler, or whatever the square post it fits on is called.
Can I tighten it by peening the sides of the post with a center punch to expand it so as to make the hammer fit properly?
Or should I put a bit of weld or silver solder on there and file to fit?
It is an original antique but of little real value and I don't intend or expect to ever shoot it so whatever I do to tighten it up won't impact its value or functionality.

The hammer on my percussion rifle is loose on the tumbler, or whatever the square post it fits on is called.
Can I tighten it by peening the sides of the post with a center punch to expand it so as to make the hammer fit properly?
It is an original antique but of little real value and I don't intend or expect to ever shoot it so whatever I do to tighten it up won't impact its value or functionality.
Jim Chambers responded to this question once on another forum. He said to lay the hammer face down on your anvil, (the back of your bench vice) put the ball end of a ball peen hammer in the hole and with another hammer strike it. This will peen all four sides evenly. If it’s still loose you can do the outside. The screw should cover any marks left behind. I would wear safety glasses. I’m told hardened metal against hardened metal can splinter.

Yeah , you can do that . I use a small punch and smack each square in the middle near the edge . Just a little , little at a time ...too much youll have to file a bit . Best of luck

Get some brass shims , shim the loose side or sides of the square hole in the hammer. May need to fabricate a hardwood block for your vise jaws to protect the tumbler as you squeeze the hammer back on the shaft. Peening will only fix it temporarily, and you might damage the hammer, it may crack.

Back