• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your opinions on Kashtuk fowlers...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just recently jumped back into the game of Flintlock smoothbores. I had gotten away from them for several year do to "life"... I couldn't take it any longer however, and I have jumped back in with both feet. Can't think of not having Flintlocks in my life again. Anyhow, I have had the opportunities to buy some Kashtuk fowlers. Since I am a little fresh again on who's who in the builders market, I have never heard of this gun builder before. Was pondering on purchasing one, but I know nothing of their reputation or quality.

What do you have to say about Kashtuk?

I appreciate any genuine comments, Joel

Last edited:
I've never done business with him yet but have only heard a couple folks comment on the work. So far all good. Check out their YouTube channel. Can't remember the name but I've seen a couple their videos that were pretty good. Remember though, haven't had any experience with them so that is all I know.

I also don't know a lot about them but have been seeing their name come up more and more frequently.
Seems like folks have good things to say. I can't recall anyone bashing them completely. I would really like to see a few honest reviews also. Nothing is perfect, I'd love to read what they have right and what they could do better.
Just based on what I've read on this forum, I would consider buying one that I could see before parting with my money. I'm not ready to order one just on pictures and a seller's description.

I found some feedback on FB. I put a link to the post under the screenshots.
Screenshot_20230111-063851.png

Screenshot_20230111-064016.png

Screenshot_20230111-064048.png

I am not a member of ALR yet, but I have been thinking about it... Is there much activity on that forum?
It’s very active. Lots of builders there. It’s mostly about building flintlock guns and making accoutrements and shooting. Most are interested in historical accuracy.

I am not a member of ALR yet, but I have been thinking about it... Is there much activity on that forum?
It is very active with builders/artisans and collectors. Some of the better known folks that get referred to here chime in there either now and then or regularly. There are a couple of our own who are there also but under different screen names.
You don't need to pay and join the ALR organization to participate in the forum.

I contacted Hendrie Javier years ago, I got acquainted with him on FB because he was big on building primitive board bows and so on. Back when I was into that before I realized there's something lacking in my life called a flintlock haha.
He really started putting guns together a few years later maybe say 2016 it so and that seems to have become his thing. He helped me with a few questions I had. He referred me to Pecatonica, and that's who I went through to put together my first NW Trade Gun kit.

Over the years I've noticed he builds a variety of guns but hasn't changed a whole lot. As far as what he builds would be what I'd call simple builds, trade guns, contract rifles, virginia rifles mainly from what I've seen, will from Pecatonica stock profiles. He does occasionally build one with a nice stick of wood. I seldom see any carving or beavertails around the panels. He does nice clean inletting.
He makes a simple effective quality component built gun with a good price point.

The only thing I can say that may be a con is he leaves a lot of extra wood on the gun. They could be slimmed down in many places, but hey, some people like that.
I am still trying to learn to know where to take wood away and where some should be left.
Also he seems to stick with L&R locks which is what Pecatonica will use as a staple.
I had one on my first gun and won't use another but I won't go down that rabbit hole.
I have seen him use large siler on some rifles so it may be something you will just have to request.

I would not hesitate at all to get one though him if I didn't build my own.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I contacted Hendrie Javier years ago, I got acquainted with him on FB because he was big on building primitive board bows and so on. Back when I was into that before I realized there's something lacking in my life called a flintlock haha.
He really started putting guns together a few years later maybe say 2016 it so and that seems to have become his thing. He helped me with a few questions I had. He referred me to Pecatonica, and that's who I went through to put together my first NW Trade Gun kit.

Over the years I've noticed he builds a variety of guns but hasn't changed a whole lot. As far as what he builds would be what I'd call simple builds, trade guns, contract rifles, virginia rifles mainly from what I've seen, will from Pecatonica stock profiles. He does occasionally build one with a nice stick of wood. I seldom see any carving or beavertails around the panels. He does nice clean inletting.
He makes a simple effective quality component built gun with a good price point.

The only thing I can say that may be a con is he leaves a lot of extra wood on the gun. They could be slimmed down in many places, but hey, some people like that.
I am still trying to learn to know where to take wood away and where some should be left.
Also he seems to stick with L&R locks which is what Pecatonica will use as a staple.
I had one on my first gun and won't use another but I won't go down that rabbit hole.
I have seen him use large siler on some rifles so it may be something you will just have to request.

I would not hesitate at all to get one though him if I didn't build my own.
Hope this helps
This helps alot! I appreciate your words... thank you.

Back