• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your fixes for 32 cal Crockett????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timetohunt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been reading the forums regarding the 32 cal Crockett rifle. I have the same problem with the faulty breech plug causeing the jag to snag in the barrel when cleaning. What have you all done about this to solve it? I have sent mine to Traditions and all they want to do is grind down a jag to make it smaller and give me thinner patches to clean with. Apparently the problem is with dry patches in the clean up. So if you can't use a dry patch to clean the barrel what do you do? Is Traditions just giving me the run around? Can't they fix the barrel instead of "jerry-rigging the jag"?

My grandson (Silent Sniper) got a .32 Crockett pistol for Christmas and the first one leaked bad at breech plug, sent it back,got one that leaked at drum,sent it back and the one he has now leaks at breech-plug. What kind of quality control do they have? They were good to replace them, but didn't solve the problem. Dilly

A month ago, I bought a Crockett from Dixie Gun Works. I had read all the posts about the snaggy breech area and ordered a 32 jag from track of the wolf along with some 1 1/4 inch round cotton cleaning patches. And though I feel a distinct 'stickiness' in the breech area, I have dry patched and wet patched with pretty good force and have yet to stick a patch. That's using the above mentioned jag and patches. BUT, I tried using some very small 22 cal square patches with the same jag and just about stuck one of them jokers! So it's my belief (and I'm certainly no expert) that proper jag and patch selection will solve the problem. JMHO Kevin

I use a "long" jag rather than one of the short varieties. I also use round patches intended for 22's. They barely reach back past the back of the jag button. I'm also careful to rotate the rod a little just as I start to withdraw it. I also don't use dry patches. I'll use an alcohol patch to get rid of any remaining water. Seems to work well, but I always follow that with an oiled or lubed patch. If a patch starts feeling like it's going to stick, the rotating is an important antidote.

a .32 cal bronze brush, dedicated to the breech and wrapped with a wet patch should work good. Of course, it will be useless for the bore, but will do a great job on the troublesome breech.
I do this with my gm .40 and have no issues!

The bruch will crush down and take on the shape of the breech.
my 2 cents.

BrownBear said:
I use a "long" jag rather than one of the short varieties. I also use round patches intended for 22's. They barely reach back past the back of the jag button. I'm also careful to rotate the rod a little just as I start to withdraw it. I also don't use dry patches. I'll use an alcohol patch to get rid of any remaining water. Seems to work well, but I always follow that with an oiled or lubed patch. If a patch starts feeling like it's going to stick, the rotating is an important antidote.

Well folks, I hate to say it, but y'all are just chasing your tails about this stuck patch thing.
And in doing so, y'all are creating a potentially dangerous situation with an improperly breached gun.

IMHO, those guns need to be fixed right, or decommissioned and hung on the wall.

The option of putzing around, trying to prevent stuck patches only serves to ignore the problem inherent with theses cheap guns...not to mention a company that knows about the issue of improper breaching, but won't do anything to correct it. And y'all keep buying those POS, even though you are aware of the poor quality. Whats worse is that y'all apparently choose to ignore the potential danger to yourselves, your families, and your friends who you allow to shoot these POS.

While I agree with you that the factory needs to get on the ball and get this problem sorted out. I don't agree that "cheap" guns are POS or inherently unsafe. There are a great number of those guns on the market and there haven't been any safety issues with them. For the most part, Traditions guns are good guns for the money.

It bugs me that they've known about the problem for several years now and have responded to concerns with "we're working on it". How long does it take to make a small change to the way the breeches are machined?

I fail to see how leakage at the breechplug is dangerous, unless it is a huge leak. Remember that the tolerances of the original guns were far less stringent than todays, and many had breechplugs that could be removed by hand. Oddly enough, these guns didn't kill anyone in their years of service. So, a little seepage of liquid at the breech seems inconsequential....

However, I will agree that you get what you pay for, and a cheap gun is still a cheap gun.

JD, maybe all some of us can afford are lower priced guns.
I'd love to have a custom built rifle, but there's just no way right now, so I'll continue to shoot my POS. :surrender:

R.M. said:
JD, maybe all some of us can afford are lower priced guns.
I'd love to have a custom built rifle, but there's just no way right now, so I'll continue to shoot my POS. :surrender:

Agreed! But some people buy a succession of cheap guns, rather than saving and buying one good gun. And in the end, they still have 5 or 6 cheap guns and spend a lot of time complaining that they don't work very well....

J.D. said:
BrownBear said:

Well folks, I hate to say it, but y'all are just chasing your tails about this stuck patch thing.
And in doing so, y'all are creating a potentially dangerous situation with an improperly breached gun.

IMHO, those guns need to be fixed right, or decommissioned and hung on the wall.

The option of putzing around, trying to prevent stuck patches only serves to ignore the problem inherent with theses cheap guns...not to mention a company that knows about the issue of improper breaching, but won't do anything to correct it. And y'all keep buying those POS, even though you are aware of the poor quality. Whats worse is that y'all apparently choose to ignore the potential danger to yourselves, your families, and your friends who you allow to shoot these POS.

For me it was a case of not being sure how much I'd use a small caliber. The Crockett provided an ideal "cheap," or if you prefer POS way to tyr my hand with one. Turns out that I use a small cal lots, and sooner or later I'll be replacing that little POS with a real gun that will let me hold my head in your lofty crowd. In the meantime, pass the toilet paper, because I'm not through with the Crockett yet.

And whoever I pass it on to will be just as proud of it, I'm sure. And I'll never put him down for using it. Seems I run in a very different crowd than you do. Your loss.

Funny how this goes...but I'd have to agree with BrownBear.

My lil' Crockett has been nothing but a joy. I even spent the time to upgrade the front and rear sight, change to a decent sideplate, and added a patchbox to it. It's a little tackdriver that has given me great fun in return for little dollars. Guess I'd rank it as a pretty fine little .32 :wink:

giz

Black Hand said:
I fail to see how leakage at the breechplug is dangerous, unless it is a huge leak. Remember that the tolerances of the original guns were far less stringent than todays, and many had breechplugs that could be removed by hand. Oddly enough, these guns didn't kill anyone in their years of service. So, a little seepage of liquid at the breech seems inconsequential....

However, I will agree that you get what you pay for, and a cheap gun is still a cheap gun.

It isn't the issue of seeping liquid that causes the potentially dangerous situation, it is the leaking of hot gas, under considerable pressure that, in time, causes gas cutting of the threads.

That gas cutting weakens the threads, not to mention creating a place for corrosion to accumulate. Everyone knows how corrosive black powder is when left in nooks and crannies, especially when it becomes wet from seepage of cleaning fluids.

IMHO, that creates a potentially dangerous situation. The plug may not blow out today or tomorrow, but, in time, it will most likely blow.

Don't forget that a majority of original guns had their barrels shortened, from the breech, to remove corroded or damaged breeches, or possibly to repair burned out touch holes.

What ever the reason, breech plugs were periodically replaced as those repairs were made. Some originals show signs that the barrels were shortened more than once, for whatever reason.

Lets not forget that a vast majority of those old guns were not shot as much, or as often as modern guns, so those repairs were made more often, per number of shots, than modern guns.

What this means is, that those loose threaded plugs were replaced, at least occasionally, where a plug on a modern gun would, most likely, not be replaced.

I also question the idea that the average breech plug was loose enough to be removed by hand. I suspect that a 100 plus years of corrosion loosened those plugs to the point that they can be removed by hand.

I have removed several breeches from original guns, BTW, and have only once had one that could possibly have been removed by hand. The rest required an oil soak, vise and wrench. Those plugs weren't rusted in place either.

No all production guns are cheap. IMHO, most are, but not all. There are quality production guns that are reasonably priced, for those who can't afford a custom gun.

Midsouth has the Crockett for about $350. A Lyman GPR kit is the same, and the finished rifle for $450.

IMHO, there is no excuse to buy a gun that has known quality issues, especially when a quality gun is available for about the same price, or a little more.

Just one last thought. Y'all are enabling Traditions to get away with producing unsafe guns by buying them, just because they are cheap. If people stopped buying them, Traditions might reconsider their apparent hands off policy. Why change if people will still buy?

I called Traditions yesterday to find out the status of my barrel. I talked to the service tech and told him that I had been surfing the internet and that this was a known problem (something that he had acted like it was new) and that since it was under warranty I wanted a new barrel without the problem, or traditions fixes the one I. I will be calling them again today to see what they say.
It sounds like there are ways to work around this problem if I have to. It sure is a nice rifle and I pan on using it for many years if I can keep it in good shape.
Thanks for all the responses.

The way the prices on the production guns are climbing it is going to be real hard to choose one of them over a USA made gun, new or used, the used gun market is where some super deals can be found, you do need to know your way around ML's very well however when buying used, and have a true meeting of the minds as for a return period, and shipping costs if the gun is returned.

It has always seemed there were too many problems with this gun that the company did not care enough to fix. For that reason I refuse to buy anything they offer for sale.

:v I have a safe and a couple of wall cabinets with all kinds of ML'ers some of them darned expensive some cheap. My Crockett has never given me one iota of a problem. IMHO I think that this patch problem is overworked and easily resolved with a smaller jag or a worm---also using a trimmed .410 barrel mop, or some of the other simpler suggestions. That little gun is a pleasure to carry and to shoot, a squirt of Moose Milk and a swab with a patch on the worm cleans it for shooting. I use a .32 breech scraper when I clean. I use a squeeze bottle full of hot water and detergent and force it under pressure through the barrel and out of the nipple orifice, and have zero built up fowling. I also never use a dry patch as the last piece of fluff through the barrel. :thumbsup:

I'll have to include myself among the satisfied "Crockett" owners. I've had mine for several years and have found it to be exceedingly accurate, inexpensive and fun to shoot. It has also been a great small game rifle. I have an even cheaper "Deerhunter" .50 Traditions I've had for going on 20 years. I have taken quite a few deer with it. Prices have definitely gone up on many production guns but back when I bought mine they were very inexpensive and affordable. Price increases, I agree, are making custom guns a very good deal now.

:nono: I have an original .32 and thought I would get a less valuable gun to use hunting when weather conditions were less than ideal. I looked at a .32 Crockett that was for sale at Log Cabin and thought that it would fill my need perfectly :grin: . The gun was listed as previously owned, but not used. On closer examination I found what looked liked burnt residue on the sides of the lock and Dan explained that had recieved the gun on trade and the previous owner had claimed that he never used it. I was about to find out why it was never used :wink: . I asked and Dan complied to run a patch down the bore and see if it was clean or not. When he sent the patch down the bore the rod became stuck to the point that it could not be extracted :shake: . He was forced to take the gun to the back of the shop and remove the entrapped jag/patch with some addition assistance of the vise and tools located there in :hmm: . When he finally returned with the gun the the sales floor, I thanked him for his time, but passed on the rifle and I am very glad I did!!!! :surrender: (I feel very certain that the operators of the Log Cabin had no knowedge of the problems that would be encounter in the bore of that gun :bow: . I have found them to always be very good and helpful people when doing business with them.)

Latest posts

Back