• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

your first deer............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
lets see pics of your first deer if ya all still have the pics....this is mine way back in oct 22 - 1983 a day after my birthday....what a gift huh....even though it was a bow harvast....................bob

076609.jpg

29 Dec 79 ~ My first black powder rifle and black powder deer. This is the same gun that my son Zach killed his first blackpowder deer with just a week ago. ::
Rick ( I would be the one on the left! :winking:)

f9ad2eae.jpg

Wow, Bob...that is one heck of a deer to be your first! My first deer was a small doe but I was very proud. I don't have a pic of my first deer but I have a funny story...

I was 11 years old and was finally going to take a "real" gun hunting instead of the .410 that I had been carrying up to that point. That day I was going to carry my dad's 30-30.
I really felt like a man that day! I had shot the 30-30 several times the previous month at the range before my dad felt that I could safely carry/handle and hunt with it.

So, we get to the woods and my dad walked me to my stand like he always did. He would make sure that I safely got into my stand and that I was OK before he would turn and walk to his stand (one of my favorite childhood memories, btw). Before he would leave to go to his stand he would load my gun and then hand it up to me. Well, on this morning, we had a problem with the 30-30. When he cycled the lever to put a cartridge in the chamber, the gun hung. He was unable to get the hung cartridge ejected.

There I was with no gun. Being the dad that my dad was, he decided to let me use his gun and he would take the 30-30 with him to his stand, get it working, then he would hunt with it. The gun he left me with, his gun, was a Remington pump-action 30-06. I was scared to death of that gun because my older brothers always talked about how bad the recoil was. I didn't want my dad to think that I was scared so I took the gun without whining while thinking to myself, "What are the chances that I will actually have to shoot this thing?".

Less than an hour later, just after daylight, I see two does walking slowly down a fencline toward me less than 100 yards from me. I'm shaking like a leaf at this point and my heart is pounding in my ears. This is the first time that I have seen a deer in the woods by myself. A million thoughts went through my head in a matter of seconds - a. Wow, a deer!, b. My first deer!, c. Oh no, I'm going to have to shoot this 30-06, d. Maybe I'll just pretend that I didn't see the deer., e. What if my dad is watching me and he sees that I let the deer go., and so on.

The does are about 75 yards away now but look much closer to my inexperienced eyes. I decide to take a shot at the larger of the two does (they were both small). The gun was fitted with a scope which, at this point, might as well have been a shoe because the thing was shaking so badly that it was useless.

I finally calmed down enough to actually find the deer in the lens. I hold the crosshairs just behing the shoulder and I remember hearing in my head, "Squeeze the trigger, son; it should surprise you when it goes off.". So, I squeezed the trigger. BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! I remember the flash of orange in the scope...I remember my hat flying off my head...I remember falling off of the stool in my deer stand. What a violent few seconds, but I made it through the ordeal unhurt! :)

I finally look at the ground where I hoped the deer would be and I see a white belly. I was so full of pride that I could have exploded! I was yelling through the woods with such excitement that anyone within 100 miles would have known that a first deer had been taken. I make it over to the doe and I notice something strange right away. There are no bullet holes where I was aiming. In fact I couldn't find a bullet hole anywhere...until I lifted the doe's head.

Somehow, in the excitement of the moment, I COMPLETELY missed the doe's body and, luckily, the bullet hit the doe under the left ear leaving not even a spot of blood near the entrance hole which was tiny surprisingly. Now, the exit hole...well, you know how that looked.

To this day, I can truthfully say that my first deer I took with a headshot! :)

(I apologize for this being such a long reply with no picture.)

actuly this deer was taking with my bow at 9 yards and cut his artieres off the top of the heart and watched him fall within sight of me bout 30 yds....i didn't take a deer with a gun till it was my 9th or 10th one..................bob

Back