• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your best deal acquiring a muzzleloader, either trade or purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last spring I found a 50 cal TC percussion that had been sitting in a locker for 30 plus years and was in pristine condition. The owner had inherited the rifle from his father and stated that the rifle may have been fired 5 or 6 times. I traded a Baikal OU 12 gauge shotgun for this beauty. I think I got the better of the deal. Another deal was a 54 Cal TC renegade that I acquired for a Savage scout rifle in .308.. I already have a Savage M10TR, so I don't need two .308 rifles. This 54 cal is also in pristine condition. I bought a 54 cal 1 in 66 twist RB barrel for it and it shoots great.

Last year I bought a Renegade Hunter (single trigger) locally for $120 in very good condition. Sold it to my nephew to get him started in muzzleloading. A couple of years before that, bought a pre-warning 50 cal TC Hawken in mint condition with a 50 cal Traditions Trapper pistol (also in mint condition) from a guy for $400. Sold the pistol to a carpenter working on my house and kept the rifle.

Would have to be my T/C White Mountain Carbine. Picked it up from a pawn shop for $150, don't think it had ever been fired. Had the T/C peep sight installed too which goes for $80+.

I bought a beautiful Pietta revolver, unfired, nickel plated with gold cylinder hammer and trigger. I sent a message to the lady seller advising her price was way low. She replied that she just wanted it gone. I paid ... well .. nearly nothing as prices go. Very glad to have it.

These original black powder cap-and-ball percussion revolvers were just part of 2 dozen total guns from an estate; all the guns were in terrible corroded condition, and I spent 4 months going through and cleaning all guns to restore them to functioning condition. I have since fired all but 2 of the original dozen (I lacked suitable ammo for those 2, but they would fire if I could load them). The 2 dozen included unmentionables such as Colt SAA, C96 Broomhandle Mauser, and many other valuable originals. I paid $2000 for the entire lot, so I think I did well on just these black powder guns depicted (original Colts)...
Colt black powder revolvers.jpg

At gun show few months ago bought a Jukar 45 cal Kentucky rifle and 410/41 calno name $80 total then was gifted 54 cal Cabelas Hawken with rusty bore sent it to Bobby Hoyt now its a 58 smooth

Traded a Douglas .32 barrel to an accomplished builder to build my Ithaca Hawken kit I had barely started when I was elected Sheriff and had no free time. Most authentic Hawken I've ever owned and beautifully done. We were friends and remained so until he passed.

2nd best deal was purchasing his personal flint fowler from his family. Paid more than they asked, more than it was worth if sold "on the market" to help them. If his grandson shows a sincere interest in muzzleloading, it will be my gift to him when he's old enough to appreciate what his grandfather's friendship meant to me.

Added 6 rifles and one pistol in the last year.
Most 300. One 400 rock lock. 150 on plains pistol 54 cal.
Started out luck. Seems almost a curse now. Just gave 300 for a Mowrey 50 box lock as close to unfired as you can get.

I'll bite. Years ago my best friend's sister caught her old man cheating, so she had a garage sale of all his stuff.
I didn't get there till noon due to work. Most of the good stuff was gone.
I saw a red metal tool box. I opened it and saw it stuffed with gun cleaning equipment.
I asked her how much? She said give me $10.
I took it home and it sat for a month under my bed. I was cleaning a rifle and needed some patches. I dug out the tool box and opened it up. Under the cleaning rags and rods was a like new 36 caliber brass framed 1851 navy, a brass flask, a sleeve of German caps and a Lee mold. . I later sold all but the caps for $150.

I later told her about it and she said I owed her $75. I still owe her $75

I see this is an older thread but I love all y’all’s stories. I picked up a rusty Miroku 1863 Springfield from a small local dealer. When I got it home I discovered that what the dealer and I both thought was surface rust was just old hardened WD40. It came off with a little acetone. Underneath was an unfired beauty with a bright shiny bore and all else looking like it just came from the factory. It shoots as good as it looks. If I ever have to part with it (perish the thought!) I’m sure I could get three times what I paid.

It was a "Straight up Barter",
for a tradesman's, labor on the owners home,, for the rifle.
A 54. Renegade.
The deal caught be by surprise. I had expected "cash" for the work I'd done.
He instead offered the rifle, with nothing more then a verbal "how too" of how it works.
It was my first bp rifle,,,

I was on a UK-based forum, on which I am now banned 'forever', bemoaning the mistake I made in selling my first Parker-Hale Whitworth rifle. Back then it wasn't getting the use it deserved, and basically here in some parts of UK, if the local Plod detect lack of use of a certain gun [they really DO check your shooting records] it can be taken off your FAC. It's one thing to have to trade a one-for-one variation to your FAC, but if a gun has been 'revoked' then you have lost that 'slot' for good.

Out of the blue I got a PM from a former shooter asking if I was interested in his early Whitworth, in good condition. Well, folks, not only was it immaculate in every way, but it was half the price of one for sale at a dealers a couple of hundred miles North of us.

It's now mine. As is the Pedersoli hexagonal mould I've just received from Manitoba. Today I'll be making some bullets to see if they fit...wish me luck!

I was on a UK-based forum, on which I am now banned 'forever', bemoaning the mistake I made in selling my first Parker-Hale Whitworth rifle. Back then it wasn't getting the use it deserved, and basically here in some parts of UK, if the local Plod detect lack of use of a certain gun [they really DO check your shooting records] it can be taken off your FAC. It's one thing to have to trade a one-for-one variation to your FAC, but if a gun has been 'revoked' then you have lost that 'slot' for good.

Out of the blue I got a PM from a former shooter asking if I was interested in his early Whitworth, in good condition. Well, folks, not only was it immaculate in every way, but it was half the price of one for sale at a dealers a couple of hundred miles North of us.

It's now mine. As is the Pedersoli hexagonal mould I've just received from Manitoba. Today I'll be making some bullets to see if they fit...wish me luck!
Dear Mr. Foley, you are welcome here on our Forum, and the U.K. forum who banned you can go jump. Whitworths are welcome here and I once watched a Whitworth repro cannon (rifled, but not hexed) being fired at a U.S. Civil war reenactment. I was on a Blakeley repro that day and so could not volunteer for service on the Whitworth. The English did make some fine ML cannon and rifles in the day, and it's a shame they have to put up with Jack-in-the-Box gun restrictions nowadays. Please remember we respect and cherish you; we are not like the rest, LOL!

Last edited:
A few years back my partner and I were doing some work at an old stone mill house. The property was owned/occupied by an aged couple who both had accomplished careers in ballet. They traveled, lived, danced and taught all over the globe. The home required much work and time so we became well acquainted. In the course of conversation I mentioned my interest in muzzleloaders and asked if they had ever run across anything related when they bought the mill property. The following day the lady asked me to accompany her into the basement where she pointed out a large pile of old lumber and stated that she thought she had seen part of a gun amongst the boards, and that I was invited to sort thru the pile, if interested. In a short time I discovered a Savage .22 pump rifle and a Steel City .410 single shot. She urged me to take them, as she felt they were dangerous. I obliged.
Part two:
One afternoon, as our work at the above property was near completion, we sat and sipped vodka with the couple . The ever gracious lady left briefly and returned with what you see below. She indicated that they had acquired the items years ago, in another land, and that she hoped I would accept them as a token of appreciation for the effort and patience shown. My partner received an envelope.
My research suggests the pistol to be a 'New Land' pattern, East India Company Light dragoon, cavalry model. The nifty little horn, still guessing.
'Life is like a box of chocolates.......'

1649332694434.png

Latest posts

Back