Quantcast

Your best deal acquiring a muzzleloader, either trade or purchase

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
bought my first 2 muzzleloaders the same day, first one - maybe the worst purchase i ever made, the second, a brand new never fired CVA squirrel for $200 CDN- $ 120 USD

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
the best deal i ever got on a muzzleloader was when i bought my north star west English trade gun, in kit form, it was not the cheapest gun by far, nor was it the easiest kit to build. but i put so many years on that gun.

mahd776

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Talking with gun counter guy at local farm store. Had a T-shirt on from National Muzzle Loading Association. He asked if I would be interested in some muzzle loading stuff as he had tried it but did not care for it. Ended up buying a 50 Cal TC Renegade with a scope (sacrilege) and a 45 Cal CVA made in USA Mountain Rifle and a bag full of caps, powder, flasks patches, balls, conicals, lube, jags, cleaning stuff ETC. Bores looked sketchy but just needed a good cleaning. Paid $200 for all of it. Then last year at a small gun show spotted a TC Hawken 45 cal flintlock with a box of all kinds of flasks, measures, jags, caps and balls. Rifle was in great shape and marked $250 or make offer. Stopped and looked twice and he lowered his price both times although I had not made a offer. Stopped a 3rd time before leaving and he said he would be happy to take $200 if I was really interested. It followed me home as well!

rmark

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought an unfired like new Pedersoli Tryon that had been used as a wall decoration for $250. Bought another unfired like new Tryon a few years later from an estate sale, also for $250.

Johnny Tremain

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My last woman asked if getting 8 years of teepee creeping was worth my flintlock named "Ye Ole Fence Post".
We got together over black powder, and she loved to shoot, so I gave her custody of ye old fence post.....

I got the better deal

BillRob

32 Cal
Reaction score
About 15 years ago I bought a finished TC kit Hawken .54 online from a seller in the New England area. I paid $189 plus insurance. The package appeared to be dropped somewhere along the way - and the seller had not packed it well. The brass buttplate was not fitted perfectly and the stock was split when it arrived. I filed a claim with the insurer, and they reimbursed me the $189, but not the shipping or insurance, which was around $20, AND they allowed me to keep the gun. I did some research on how to make the repair myself with a screw and some clamps and glue and have been shooting it ever since. For less than $25, by a long shot my best gun purchase ever!

Treestalker

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was set up outside local flea market event with almost no cash on me. An older man walked up with a .50 cal. TC Hawken in beautiful shape. The bore looked like a sewer pipe with white crusty funk at the muzzle. He wanted 65 bucks for it, I said I might scrape up 50. He said Ok, so I asked a dealer friend if he had 50 I could borrow until I sold some stuff. No problem. Took it home it cleaned up fine, good bore! I didn't want to keep it so I took it to a gun show. A gentleman offered me $150 for it and I sold it for $165. In the show I bought an original Confederate $20 bill for $40. Later on at another flea event I met a dealer I knew from some time before who had had a percussion revolver of some sort. I didn't see it on his table so I asked about it. He went to his truck and brought out a brass framed G&G repro that looked ok but was frozen up. Make me an offer he said. How about a Confederate $20 bill? Hell yes he said, I've got a guy looking for one! Took the gun home and took off the grips and soaked it in coal oil for a day. It loosened right up and cleaned up fine. it was a Uberti in .44 cal. I named her Susan after my gg grandmother whose husband John Julian, my direct kin, fought for Arkansas in the Confederate Cavalry. Not bad for a $50 loan from a friend. Recently that same friend came into a weird CVA .50 cal. Ml rifle that fires a cap in the breechplug from a central hung hammer he did not want and gave it to me as a gift. The bore truly was crapped out so I've sent the barrel off to have it bored smooth and turned from oct to a tapered round from ten inches of the breech it has a wood half stock and should make a decent garden gun. So ends the trading adventures of your most humble narrator, with thanks for this most interesting thread and the great stories therein.

jefair1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was bidding on a Roger Old Army on GB several years ago and was away from my phone when the auction ended and had been outbid. 5 days later, I got a message from the seller saying the purchaser reneged on the gun and I could have it for the last price I had bid. I snapped it up immediately.

terrycrogers

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was bidding on a Roger Old Army on GB several years ago and was away from my phone when the auction ended and had been outbid. 5 days later, I got a message from the seller saying the purchaser reneged on the gun and I could have it for the last price I had bid. I snapped it up immediately.
Those are great pistols, tough and accurate.

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In 1981 I won a Thompson Center Hawken 50 caliber in a sales contest, still have it.
The best buy was a custom Pope Stock smooth bore 24gauge/58 caliber for $20, December 1988 and still have it.
poke stock 001.jpg

Latest posts