• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You talked me into the 58.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on Rebel (I used 'right on' so some of our younger posters can see how it's used :haha:) One of the reasons I went ot a smoothbore. These old eyes had to switch to "spray & pray"!!!!!!!!!!!

Far out Wes, I used far out so some our younger members can see that it doesn't just mean a taget a long ways off. :rotf:

Let's swing back towards the original topic of this thread:

Headhunter said:
I will be getting the Green Mountain .58 32" 1-70 Twist. What tickin are you using or patch?
Also looking for a 50 vs 58 foot pounds, velocity chart or something of the like.
Whats the difference in 100 yard energy?
Any other 58 cal notes would be appreciated.

Again using the Lyman Book as a reference:

A .50 caliber roundball weighs 180 grains, the .58 caliber ball weighs 260 grains, that is 80 grains heavier, how does that compair with both using the same powder charge in a 32 inch barrel?

.50 (100 grain charge of FFg) = 1978 fps and 501 FT/lbs at 100 yards.

.58 (100 grain charge of FFg) = 1295 fps and 455 FT/lbs at 100 yards.

The lighter ball obtains a higher velocity for the same amount of powder than the larger ball does, but the larger ball has more mass...

You get 38.8 balls per pound of lead with the .50 whereas only 26.9 balls with the .58 caliber...

And if dad showed me how to use this right 50 (100 grain charge of FFg) = 1978 fps and 501 FT/lbs at 100 yards.

.58 (100 grain charge of FFg) = 1295 fps and 455 FT/lbs at 100 yards.
it would take a bit over 200 grs FF to reach the 50s MV of about 2000 fps , but how do you count mass into this ? Just a thought. blaine

fw said:
but how do you count mass into this ? Just a thought. blaine

That would fall under retained energy (also called kinetic energy, a heavier roundball will penetrate deeper and deliver more shocking power to the target...

I will see if I can locate the formula for you...

Headhunter said:
Also looking for a 50 vs 58 foot pounds, velocity chart or something of the like.

Now that you have that velocity chart, take a look at this:
[url] http://www.norma.cc/htm_files/javapagee.htm[/url]

Before you can put this thing to use, you need to pull out your calculator and do some figuring. First, you need to know the weight of your bullet. If you are using a roundball, you can get an approximate number by using:

weight in grains =1502.6 x (Diameter x Diameter x Diameter)

As an example using a 0.570 ball of lead, that would be 1502.6 x (0.57 x 0.57 x 0.57) = 1502.6 x 0.185193 = about 278 grains.

Now get the ballistic coefficient using:

BC = Ball Wt. in grains divided by (10640 x diameter x diameter)

Again using a 0.570 roundball as an example we have 278 / (10640 x 0.57 x 0.57) = 278 / 3456.936 = 0.0804

Now back to the on-line ballistics table at the end of the link posted above. Over on the left side, at the bottom, click on the "ok" button next to the label that says "Define your own bullet." That opens up some spots where you plug in the bullet weight and its coefficient. Click the "ok" button there, then take a look over on the right side.

Use your mouse to drag the red lines around to set the muzzle velocity and other parameters, and move the long red line on the range scale to see bullet rise or drop at that range, velocity and energy at that range, etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Next we will be discussing adding salt to the balls. The shots will be taken at such a long range that we don't want the meat to spoil before we get to it.

hi all, i have a .58 zouave rifle in addition to a lyman trade and two tc rifles. i shoot 70 gr 2ff 278 gr ball and .10 patch. shoots into 2"@ 50yds. its a fun gun just to play with now and again. i think as far as vel/eng are concerned, when the projectile arrives its gonna do the job. excellent forum, really enjoy it. chopper

Latest posts

Back