• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Stable complete

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said in another thread if asked if I carry a 44 mag handgun while hunting. I would carry a tank if I could
I have carried one of Dick Casull’s 5-shooters that was made in Western Wyoming in his namesake cartridge for well over 30 years now, whenever a serious backup is required. I have options for less serious situations, but believe constant familiarization and practice with whatever backup one chooses is critical.

First time I saw a grizzly running the wild is etched in my mind. From a standing start at 30 yards I don’t know if I could win a quick draw contest with one, or convince one that I won if I really did…..

Old joke in Alaska....what do you call somebody that carries a pistol for protection from a grizzly?

Bear T*rd

But it is better than nothing, I guess, so I carry one.
Plenty of signs posted.
1678407402883.png

Old joke in Alaska....what do you call somebody that carries a pistol for protection from a grizzly?

Bear T*rd

But it is better than nothing, I guess, so I carry one.
We've got plenty [sometimes too many] of those buggers where I live. When I'm concerned, I hunt w someone slow and fat. When bear hunting I carry a 300 unmentionable. I plan on trying the ML this spring so I will have my 44 mag for dessert. Like a 30-30 ballistically but better than bare [bear?] hands. My Ruger has a 7 1/2" barrel which is really handy for hanging your toilet paper roll on. Takes practice to wipe and shoot at the same time, but it can be done. Or so I've been told. SW

We've got plenty [sometimes too many] of those buggers where I live. When I'm concerned, I hunt w someone slow and fat. When bear hunting I carry a 300 unmentionable. I plan on trying the ML this spring so I will have my 44 mag for dessert. Like a 30-30 ballistically but better than bare [bear?] hands. My Ruger has a 7 1/2" barrel which is really handy for hanging your toilet paper roll on. Takes practice to wipe and shoot at the same time, but it can be done. Or so I've been told. SW
Well, if I have to shoot at a charging Griz, I will definitely need wiping afterwards, no doubt about it.

"Bears are all right on a cold winters night, It's Lions & Tigers they put up a fight" .But the greatest of pleasures and that is the truth Is when I ram the butt of a big sexy moose !".

Got that from a sort of 18c Rugby song . . Actually though I have met Bears even Grizzley , I,ve never had any bother with them ,deep in the Coast range of British Columbia & other Bear habitat . One probably a Black bear woke me up one night camped on a river bar his sniffing breath just beyound my moskito net . Well I don't know who got the biggest fright . But IT took off & I knocked up the fire & went back to sleep .. What I do fear are the Mosquitoes' .Same in East African Lion country ,Maybe I smelled so rank it puts them off ?. I got so I never worried about Black Bears & the Grizzley who following a Black Bear one early morning on the Sukunka River Northern BC was too intent on the Black Bear it was following to notice me , though it was only twenty odd yards away down stream . I was looking for a job on a new set up coal mine . The crew being an Australian outfit & some fresh of the plane from New Castle New South Wales . I mean I speak 'Strine'a bit with a peg on my nose .But they didn't want me & I forgot to mention the Bears just 70 odd yards down stream off their camp most probably only seen a Koalla Bear if that. I guess they found out .
Regards Rudyard

My pursuit of a complete, any big game, hunting stable of ML percussion guns is complete. Guns are tools to me. My goal was to have a tool for each job. My only addition will be a Renegade barrel Hoyt rebore to 54 cal 1:38 twist 24" when Mr Hoyt starts taking jobs again. No new stock, it will just swap back and forth with the 21". Why, you may ask? Because I have been left unsupervised and I do what I want.

From left to right:

58 cal 1:38 twist 24" Hoyt rebarrel in a WMC stock Maxi ball 580 gr conical
54 cal 1:38 twist 26" CVA Mountain Stalker in a Frontier Hunter laminate CVA Deerslayer 425gr conical
54 cal 1:48 twist 24" CVA Frontier Hunter CVA deerslay 375 grain conical
54 cal 1:38 twist 21" Hoyt rebarrel in a WMC stock No Excuses 485 gr conical
50 cal 1:32 twist 21" Ardesa Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 385 gr conical
50 cal 1:32 twist 21" Ardesa Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 385 gr conical
50 cal 1:32 twist 24" Traditions Pioneer in a CVA Frontier Stock Hornady Great Plains HP-HB 385 gr conical

View attachment 193553
Seems like you are missing a dedicated round ball gun.
IMHO.😉

I caught the Hoyt re-bore bug and headed down the rabbit hole of fast twist carbines. So the CVA's are heading on to others and the stable has evolved to be 5 T/C Renegades....two 24" (a 58 and a 54 1:38 twist), two 22" (58 and 54 1:32 twist) and a 21" 54 cal 1:38 twist. I have kept the two Ardesa 21" 50 cal with 1:32 twist.

So I still have 7, just that they are even more specialized tools than before.

I am using T7 FFFG powder in all of them and getting complete powder burn and great velocities out of the conicals. Accuracy testing is waiting on Old Man Winter to let go. We just set an all-time record for consecutive days of snow, but the precip hasn't stopped...just changed to cold rain.

It has to give up soon so I can get back out to the range.

Last edited:
Here are the Thumper Carbines in the final form. With two Ardesa 50 cal 21" and 24" 1:32 not pictured below.

Top to bottom: 58 cal 22" 1:32 Big Boar stock; 54 cal 24" 1:38 Renegade stock; 54 cal 22" 1:32 White Mountain Carbine stock; 54 cal 21" 1:38 White Mountain Carbine stock

Thumper Carbines.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Thumpers, would be my choice if being sent back in time.
Make one up. Complete stocks with lock, stock and triggers can be had for 175 to 220 if you watch for the, barrels for 100-150 with all hardware and another 200 for Mr. Hoyt to bore and cut to your spec.

So for $500 plus or minus $50 you can have one too. But beware, they are like the proverbial Lay's potato chip.

Back