• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yet another problem with my GPR! Help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noahmercy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have finished the stock, browned the barrel & furniture, overcome the obstacles of five damaged/missing kit parts, and put together all of the possibles I need to shoot this beasty. I was getting ready to go to the range and figured to swab the grease out of the bore and pop a cap or two to check the flash channel. What do I find?...no half-cock! Full-cock is fine, but no matter how slowly and gently I pull back the hammer, there is no half-cock. Pull out the lock, it works great in my hand...the fly (which I installed because the factory forgot to put in my lock before putting it in the kit :shake:) swings with no binding. Put it in the stock-no go. Okay, pull the trigger mechanism out and try. Still no go. That eliminates the trigger group. Loosen the bolt holding the lock in the stock. Nope! Remove it and mic the depth of the inletting for the trigger (sear?) bar and there is ample clearance. Back the lock part of the way out of the stock and there...is...still...no...half-cock. :curse:

Any clues or ideas, fellers? I can't see any obvious rub-points in the stock and for the life of me can't figure out what might be causing this problem. I'm a mechanic by trade and can usually figure stuff out, but this has me stymied. Based on my experiences with this abortion, I won't soon be recommending a Lyman kit to anyone...this thing has been a piece of cow-pie from the get-go. :no:

Maybe you could try loosening up the lock bolts a little. Possibly they're too tight and putting things on a bind.

Well, if the lock works good out of the stock, and when you put it back in the stock it doesn't work, I would say something is rubbing on the wood. You said you loosened the lock hold down screws and moved the lock out a bit and it still had no half cock? I would try removing a bit of wood where the tumbler area goes in the stock. Or better yet, put some inletting black (or equiv.) on the tumbler and lock parts and reinstall it, move the hammer to full cock, take it back out and have a look. flinch

Pretty much what Flinch said. If the lock works fine out of the rifle, there is something inside that is binding the fly and making it block the half cock notch.

I had a Mountain Rifle that developed a similar problems. I put inletting black on the tumbler making sure to get some on the fly. I put the lock back in and worked the lock a few times. The was one tiny mark on the inside. I releived that area and it seemed to fix the problem.

Had a similar problem with an old CVA flintlock,turned out to be a small point of wood that had to be removed,has worked fine ever since.As was said ,if it works out of the stock ,it has to be touching when installed. :imo: :front:

Back