• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yes it is Gunpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bisley John .You are using A 5 F o triangle , AKA grey ' Soot' good stuff we . (Sheffield branch MLA ) . bought it by the 50 pound cardboard boxes & divied it up in my cellar . I used to watch the fine dust float up to the strip lights and wonder if it went off what a mess the street would be in . Thankfully my fears where groundless .
Regards Rudyard

I think episode 2 of the Beverly Hillbillies is the funniest ever!!

download (1).png

My wife likes St. Louis style sour dough bread.
By the sweat of your brow you shall eat your bread God told Adam when he kicked him out of the garden.
Since then we've made flat bread and corn bread and rock hard ships bread, all manners of sour dough.
Breads so light they almost float, and thick black rye strong enough to still be tasting the next day.
But.
should I ask my wife what she needs when I go to the grocers and she says bread I best come home with her brand of St Louis sour dough.
I guess when I need a horn of powder it’s a good idea to specify, least my gun is explodes like my wife would if I gave it the wrong one.

Black powder is the proper shipping per the USDOT for shipping. Black powder is a 1.1D explosive that for sporting arms purposes the USDOT allows it to be reclassified as a flammable solid. Black powder as a 1.1D explosive is a bit of an anomaly as it does not fit neatly in the 1.1D classification.

We should be very happy that the USDOT allows it to be reclassified to the flammable solid classification. It is a great gift to us as shooters. Flammable solid is a lower classification and there are lesser requirements on the trucking companies to transport it. Like insurance, placarding limits, and hazardous materials safety permits.

For those that are under state limitations for storage, check what your state code requires. Does it call out black powder by name, or does it state explosive? If you buy your black powder in the typical manner, it is no longer considered an explosive. It has been reclassified by the shipper and is a flammable solid.

Black powder used in pyrotechnics does not enjoy the same treatment. In the pyro world it can not be reclassified as a flammable solid and they have to transport it as a 1.1 explosive. A lot of the black powder used in pyrotechnics is a lesser quality powder then what we use in our ML.

Gun powder is generic in today's world.

Fleener

Dupont stopped making gunpowder in 1975.
Wasn't it soon after the last DuPon plant that made black powder said "boom." that they quit making (smokeless) gunpowder too?

I have questions!
What if your rifle isn’t black?
Would you want FFFFg for a rifle?
No matter what color my rifle is ... (well ... maybe if its a .17 or .22 caliber ...) I want FFFFg no where near the bore. (unless in a flintlock pan, of course)

Two True Stories,
Several decades ago the Log Cabin Store in Lodi Ohio displayed a cap and ball cylinder that was blown apart. The attached story: Two friends borrowed this revolver and loaded it with ball,,, and powder collected from firecrackers. The first time they fired it the cylinder showed a crack. In a "oh ****, now what" moment they found that a discarded pistol centerfire case was a near perfect fit in the cracked chamber. They took the revolver home and clamped the cylinder in a vice to solder the repair in place....without unloading the rest of the chambers.

Closer to home, I have had since middle school a homemade cannon that would put a marble thru an oil drum. I usually loaded it with a thimble full of black powder and a sheet of packed Kleenex. Made a glorious boom and mess of shredded paper. It has a very small touch hole. I used to be able to buy fuse that was a very fine copper wire coated with sparkler ??? chemicals. When that supply dried up I used fuses pulled out of firecrackers. The last time I played with my "toy" I used fuses from a pack of firecrackers that said "Warning, do not disassemble" which I ignored. The first half dozen fuses worked as expected. The next fuse burned very fast and fired the cannon before I could back away.

I was gonna write somthin really great on this ere post. Jest ta keep it agoin. ............................................... Cant think of a dern thing.

Latest posts

Back