• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yes it is Gunpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just tryin' to get something going.
That can is one I emptied in the now so long ago
Don't get your knickers in a twist, Hell I call it Black Powder.
It concerns me for new shooters because most propellants are black and check the capandball web site to see what happens when the wrong kind of black colored powder is used.
Trust me on this, the clerk at the Joebaggadonuts Gun Shoppe most likely knows zip/ zero/ nada about propellants, and a 15 grain load of nitro powder will disassemble your percussion gun RIGHT NOW.
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
WB (AKA Bunk)

wb: I know where your coming from but I don't agree with your second post ( #3) where you say we should call it "gunpowder".

Every maker of real black powder today puts their black powder into containers that clearly have the words, "BLACK POWDER" written on the label.

Now, the word, "gunpowder" appears on several smokeless powders along with "rifle powder", "pistol powder" and "shotgun powder" so, in my opinion the dummy at the local gun store is more likely to give a person the wrong powder if the customer asked for "gunpowder" than he would if the customer asked for "Black Powder".
I don't think I have ever heard of a clerk opening a can of gunpowder in a store to see if it was black or not.

Forty years ago , visited the original Elutherian Dupont stone powder mill museum in Eastern Pa.. They called what they made there , "black powder." Hope I spelled Dupont's first name correctly....................oldwood

Believe this photograph should cover it. Black rifle powder FFFFg. DuPont. Explosive. Propellers. Any questions?
1600307622458.jpeg

And can’t forget the jug.
1600308054555.jpeg

I have questions!
What if your rifle isn’t black?
Would you want FFFFg for a rifle?
😁
OBVIOUSLY you would want FFFFg for a Black Rifle. Especially a rifle named Dupont.
Otherwise no one would make it.

And before you ask the propellers are to provide vertical take off for the powder tin. A nice touch I must say.

Sorry
wb78963
I know we are having a lark at your expense but I for one seriously needed a pick me up and this has provided one.
Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

I would think if the gun shop dealer were to sell you gun powder the first question he would ask is what kind, as there are many gun powders available for re-loaders of the unmentionable weapons and each have their own attributes and uses, there are ball, stick, flake configurations some are grey in color some are black, but this does not make them what one would call black powder. As posted all the black powder that I have purchased over many years say right on the can BLACK POWDER and the grade 2f,3f and so on. Now if I was to walk into a gun shop and ask for gun powder and the merchant just handed me a bottle or can of something I would just walk out. I will throw a curve in here with powders such a cordite and gun cotton through the years there has been much experimentation with different propellant's for weapons but this does not make it a safe thing for muzzle loaders, if does not say BLACK POWDER and the grade and if you are not sure of it stay away from it and find someone who has better knowledge of such things.

Lawrence be careful with the black powder thing for black rifles, with the current situation going on now there are folks buying the black rifles, some do not know the first thing about these weapons but they are flying off the shelves. The gun shop I mainly deal with cannot keep them in stock, I have seen folks buy these rifles and then ask how they work and yes the vendor does a cursory explanation and tells them to find a class on firearms of this type of weapons. And even offers classes, but most just pick up the weapon after the paper work clears the purchase and goes on their way.

I have never had a dealer ask me what kind when I asked for powder. They usually just seem to be interested in the sale or they may think I know what I want already. Often a store clerk knows little to nothing about it anyway.

Latest posts

Back