• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yep, I'm a sissy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't a sissy pad sometimes called a woosie pad? A female shooter said she used a feminine napkin for padding in hers.

#10546 is Limbsavers Pt. # for the Small classic slip on recoil pad which fit my Investarm Hawken. You will have to fashion some sort of foam insert to take up the air space due the curve of the buttplate and the pad designed more for a straight stock.
Well I bought the sissy pad for a Renegade I'm building. Mr. Hoyt bored out the crusty 50 Cal and opened it up to a 58 with 1:40 twist to shoot 575 Grain Maxiballs. It's gonna take some range time to find the gun's sweet spot so the pad hopefully will ease the pain........

I have a PAST shoulder pad, that I rarely use, but i do have LimbSaver slip on butt pads on several single barrel, single shot, NEF/H&R unmentionables that can kick like the proverbial Missouri mule!I It is a night and day difference and does not take away from the value of the firearm. I read the posts where many people claim it is fine (hawken style) if you place it properly on the Bicep etc, but the reality is, there isn't a true Hawken style butt plate that is any where near as comfortable as the wide, flat, barely curved butt plates on my Lancaster, Haines or Fowler that i own. Not as quick to shoulder etc. Not even close. IMHO. You do not prove anything by suffering through recoil !

Who gives a rodent’s behind what anyone thinks. What counts is whatever keeps discomfort away. I use a Limb Saver both on my shoulder and on the butt stock of my Mausers when shooting them. They both do a great job at reducing the heavy recoil kick into the shoulder.

After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.View attachment 186635
I've seen some leather covered versions that require little or no answers to any questions.

I had throat cancer 23 years ago and had to have surgery on my neck. The surgery left me without much muscle, so my collar bone and shoulder are sensitive to recoil. I use a folded hand towel as padding in warmer weather and wear my hunting coat when it gets colder. When shooting if I get the pain from recoil i'll start to flintch or not follow through on my shot or anticipate the shot. PADDING IS A MUST FOR ME OR I DON'T SHOOT

They need to make one that mimics Buckskin, or it could be coated
to blend in. Hold your rifle firm to the shoulder and do not let the
stock slam you from a loose hold. During hunting season wear
a thick lined jacket or coat when possible. Wear eye and ear protection.
All the above advice is good. Great posts.

I had throat cancer 23 years ago and had to have surgery on my neck. The surgery left me without much muscle, so my collar bone and shoulder are sensitive to recoil. I use a folded hand towel as padding in warmer weather and wear my hunting coat when it gets colder. When shooting if I get the pain from recoil i'll start to flintch or not follow through on my shot or anticipate the shot. PADDING IS A MUST FOR ME OR I DON'T SHOOT
There was a time when a padded patch sewn to a shooters jacket was quite fashionable.

The time in America where we just did what had to done to get the job. “We” are now paying the price in our old age and we would do it again. We now do what is necessary to make it easy on our bodies.
Yes, often did some scary stuff using just muscle and manpower to avoid the cost of bringing in a crane or cherry picker. Like you said, we got it done!

After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.View attachment 186635
Pain SUCK'S, no one said getting old is easy. Some people enjoy pain, but IMHO I don't think their engine is bangin on all 8. The less pain the better, for me anyway's.

I have a Knight unmentionable in .50 cal that's just a beast to shoot. I broke my shoulder when I was kid (during my Evil Knevel days) it healed well enough for me to do a hitch in the army but after that, it always causes some kind of pain. Now in my 60s, a bunch of stupid decisions I made in my youth have returned. Lots of stuff hurts, A LOT! I can still take the pedersoli.45 out for a spin on a nice day. I'd pad up if I needed to.

Latest posts

Back