• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yep, I'm a sissy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.View attachment 186635
Great idea, but it looks like someone put your patch box on the wrong side?

No matter how tightly I held the buttstock to my shoulder, it felt like a punch to my cheek bone each time I fired off my 300 Win Mag. And at the range I wore my PAST shoulder pad with that rifle.
I understand that one. I used to own a .330 Win Mag. It had a cruddy synthetic stock that just about crossed my eyes every time I pulled the trigger. Finally had a muzzle brake installed on it. I also used to own a couple of .300 Weatherby Mags, which is stouter yet but the report was nowhere near as bad as that .300 Win Mag. By all rights, the WBY Mags should have kicked harder, thus I knew it was the stock on the Win Mag that was so punishing.

There is a group of old guys at the club who spend all their time shooting skeet and trap. To a man they all use unmentionable Model 12's, but no two of them look alike. Each man has modified his stock to suit his own dimensions and preferences. Some are cut shorter. Some are lengthened. Lots of moleskin patches to alter other aspects and dimensions. Sometimes the moleskin gets replaced with carved wooden additions. Sometimes it just stays. These guys break clays with monotonous regularity. A miss is so rare as bring raucous joshing.

My thought is why do not more of us personalize the fit of our long guns? Get a second stock to experiment with and keep the original mint if you like. We'd likely make some ugly ducklings that we could shoot much better than we shoot the unaltered guns.
Its the HC/PC stuff.....no other reason. I have ones that have been modified and others posting do too.

After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.View attachment 186635
Incorporate a hand-made leather laced cuff over the entire affair, and the Limbsaver "look" goes away entirely with an "authentic "flair."

Isn't a sissy pad sometimes called a woosie pad? A female shooter said she used a feminine napkin for padding in hers.
Back in the good 'ole days, I was hired as a lineman for Pacific Telephone and Telegraph on a Friday afternoon. Climbing school began the following Monday with no time to find the proper climbing boots. I showed-up in my penny-loafers. The school was prepared however with a "stockpile" of women's sanitary napkins to go where the climbers would chafe. Whatever one must do do get done what needs to be done! Needless to say, the boots were ordered post-haste!

After pacemaker surgery at age 66 I had to switch from shooting left handed to right handed. I've replaced the 50 and 54 Renegades with a 45 Seneca for BP shoots. I even used a 32 CVA for a year to learn to shoot right handed. The 30/06 got traded off too for a 243. I"m 70 now.
Well my son has my 30:06 and I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .243. Can shoot that gun all day long at 78.

I admit to having a measure of sissyhood as well. My methodology when shooting inanimate stuff is to reduce the charge in my rifle. A .54 caliber patched round ball atop 30 grains of powder will still explode a soda can just fine without dislocating your shoulder... and you don't use as much powder.
Yep, the lightest that will do what i want is a good load.

Hi Ed C

This product suited me perfectly. I have one on a couple of hard kicking crescent plates (Browning 1886 45/70). I did what you did - bolstered the curve, with two layers of micro-cell foam. For your rifle, order the 1886 model. I like the colour of the one in the image I have included. It suits the period firearm, nice patina - the others were just too colourful/contrasty.

Pete

https://kirkpatrickleather.com/
c24.PNG

I posted this on the wrong thread, newbie mistake. 🤦‍♂️

For what it's worth I'm a young guy and wear a PAST recoil shield. I've always said if you're recoil sensitive be a real man and admit it, it's not something to be ashamed of its just a fact of life. Some guys can run a mile others have to walk the mile, the outcome is still the same. I'd rather utilize a recoil device and shoot tiny little groups rather than not and shoot groups the size of garbage can lids. Just my 2 cents

I posted this on the wrong thread, newbie mistake. 🤦‍♂️

For what it's worth I'm a young guy and wear a PAST recoil shield. I've always said if you're recoil sensitive be a real man and admit it, it's not something to be ashamed of its just a fact of life. Some guys can run a mile others have to walk the mile, the outcome is still the same. I'd rather utilize a recoil device and shoot tiny little groups rather than not and shoot groups the size of garbage can lids. Just my 2 cents
As I have always said, there is no award or gold Stars for putting up with pain!

Back