• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yep, I'm a sissy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.
DSC_4936.JPG

After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.View attachment 186635
Sometimes you just do whatcha gotta do and who cares what others think! Glad your shooting sessions can be longer and more comfortable. A day shooting is better than a day....well, just about anything in my book! 😁 :thumb:

I am not recoil sensitive at all, but if a pad is on a gun, I sure as hell not taking it off.

There is a difference between not being sensitive and being stupid. I am glad you found something that works. I am of the opinion that whoever invented crescent buttplates should have their fingers repeatedly slammed in a doorjamb

After 77 years of incurring injuries, operations, and shedding blood and sweat as a pipefitter and doing heavy machinery repair I now like as little pain and discomfort as possible to come into my life so I got this slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver for my .50 cal. Hawken and am pretty happy with it. No problem continuing shooting past that first dozen and I can go back to shooting off my shoulder rather than off my bicep, which always seemed awkward to me. I had to make a little insert for it out of some Styrofoam packing material to fill in the gap due to the strong curve of the Hawken buttplate. I wish the sleeve was a little longer and thicker but it is easy to slip on at the range and almost eliminates the felt recoil.View attachment 186635
Works for me! Got a part number???

No shame at all in doing what is necessary to keep shooting. I'm also pretty big into lever rifles and while I abhor putting optics on a lever rifle and favor traditional sighting systems, I don't fault folks for doing what is needed to allow them to keep shooting. It's inevitable I'll be there one day myself

Don't let anybody ever take a rise of of a person using a butt-pad to help them continue to shoot without pain. I once let a a big-mouth impress his g/f by removing the butt-pad off my unmentionable with its crescent-shaped butt.

1672588448886.png

The load was a top-end replication of a 500gr .45-70 cartridge that I keep especially for the odd appearance of an 'expert shooter' like him. In a 6.5# rifle, too.

Just one shot was all it took - his tears splashed on my shooting jacket from a good six feet away.

Unfortunately, any thing you have to practice to get just right because of the design, isn't really designed right unless it was designed for some obscure, rarely used, technical or physically difficult procedure.

Of which shooting a rifle isn't one. Now where is the nearest door that I can slam?

Don't let anybody ever take a rise of of a person using a butt-pad to help them continue to shoot without pain. I once let a a big-mouth impress his g/f by removing the butt-pad off my unmentionable with its crescent-shaped butt.

View attachment 186701

The load was a top-end replication of a 500gr .45-70 cartridge that I keep especially for the odd appearance of an 'expert shooter' like him. In a 6.5# rifle, too.

Just one shot was all it took - his tears splashed on my shooting jacket from a good six feet away.
You've struck a chord with me. I'm over here wondering what unmentionable might have a crescent buttplate and weight 6.5lbs... 🤔

PM inbound 😂

i religiously practice mounting my crescent butt rifles properly, just so they will by nature be right in the field. then i will go on a unmentionable shooting spree and screw up all that conditioning. doesn't take much to confuse my two active brain cells anymore!
Building "muscle memory" is a major reason for practice. But I am not sure how many things our muscles are able to remember! :)

I guess the recoil of unmentionables is definitely kaput....

Back