• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you shoot this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Phariss said:
Journeyman said:
No dents or creases. The right hammer is loose on the hammer shaft for want of a better word and both nipples appear to have been peen over due to someone dry firing it. I am going to see a local fellow who was recommended to me and get input from him. Thanks

The breechplugs need to be pulled and the bores inspected at the breech. The breeches and breeching threads need to be inspected then it needs to be proved with a load at LEAST 30% over what the service load will be. THEN people need to understand that its still not safe enough for me to tell someone its OK to shoot. Far too many variables to tell anyone that any old gun is safe to shoot.
Shooting one one handed may save ones hand but it will not protect the head the place the pieces ejected from the breech tend to land. So it has to be proved remotely. A friend carried powder fouling imbedded in his face to the grave when a nipple blew out of a then new Bill Large Hawken breech.
Even late 19th c guns are "shot at your own risk" due to questionable metallurgy.

Dan

I just went through this with a single barrel original. I was hoping to rebreech the perc barrel to make a flinter. Looked great on the outside, really thick walls, looking down the bore I couldn't see anything.

It took me a WHILE to get the breech pulled and when I did this is what I saw.
20140119_172144.jpg

It was packed solid with fouling so it appeared smooth looking down the bore. this would have been a bad time if it had just been fired without the breech being pulled.

Wow, I will have both pulled and I will be present to inspect myself . Bad time does not seem to do it justice. Thanks

you could always take triggers out and install reverse. never had a problem with this on several sxs . triggers are most likely pined to wood. with them passing thru trigger plate.

Dropped it off at my gunsmith. He specializes in blackpowder vintage arms. I went over my concerns and left him a list of items . He is going to totally strip it down and service the locks, check the breech plugs and barrels and replace any screws that are not original. He also pointed some other items that needed addressed such as preening the hammers rather than shimming them and the fact that someone had improperly tightened the patent breech. All were correctable issues. One the initial overview he was very positive about its return to the field instead of over the fireplace. Thanks Again.

JMan:
Reproductions are for people who are missing out on the real deal :idunno: .The person who owned it would be pleased that its being used. If it was mint and worth 10 grand maybe I wouldn't shoot it,no I'd shoot it anyway.The old ones are just more fun to shoot.
Nit Wit

Amen, some people race cars , others skydive . Some hunt lions and others surf in shark infested waters. I agree , if it is reasonably sound it would be a shame not to use it . Holding it is kind of like a first kiss , know what I mean. Thanks

Amen again, I have an antique gun that cost me over $10k, probably worth more now. I did not buy it to look at :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back